Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Really slow puncture?

• 02-10-2016 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    New Michelin cross climates tyres fitted about a month.. Two weeks ago tyre deflation light came on car.. Checked and back right tyre at 26 psi.. Pumped to 32 and reset indicator. All good till today and light came on again.. Checked pressure and it was at 28.. Will pop into tyre fitter tomorrow but sounds like could be tricky to find if the pressure is only coming out so slowly? Could it be a valve or something?
    Thanks,
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Bit of detergent mixed with water in a spray bottle, spray all around the rim,the valve and have a look for bubbles.

But you might not see anything if the air is leaking around the back of the tyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Let the tyre fitter worry about it, probably a nail or something that they'll find in a few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

It's amazing how a big nail still lets the air out quite slowly. The tyre guys can fix it quickly. Better that than have to change it on the side of a motorway.

cml387 wrote: »
    It's amazing how a big nail still lets the air out quite slowly. The tyre guys can fix it quickly. Better that than have to change it on the side of a motorway.

Very true. I spotted a nail in the rear tyre and kept saying I'll get that done until the inevitable happened and I heard this clatter as centrifugal force threw the nail out of the way to a hospital appointment. The tyre went down in seconds... I sorted it then!!! Much kicking and swearing trying to get the welded alloy off the hub didn't help either. P.s. I hate the look of those cross climates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

It's probably leaking through the valve stem on the wheel! I think they are supposed to replace them when changing the tyres. Maybe he forgot or didn't tighten it properly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

Could also be leaking on the rim, it's very common. a bit of rubber, dirt or even a slightly damaged rim can cause this after a new tyre is fitted. Nothing a bit of bead sealer won't sort but sure your tyre lad will sort that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

Turned out to be a nail... Being fixed right now.. First puncture in 20 years driving :) miffed it happened on new tyres but what can you do. Nail in thread in a couple of inches so no problem to fix.
    Thanks
    Mick

I've had a slow puncture for about a year now and just feel its not worth bringing in as its so slow. Pumped to 34ish PSI it only deflates to about 29 or 30 psi (when the warning comes on) after about 3 weeks or so. Would they be able to find a puncture this slow?

Need two tyres soon (not including the one that's losing a bit of air) so might get them to have a look when I'm there anyway for the tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I had a similar slow puncture on a new car (ie new tyres) recently - stuck it out for about six months pumping it up about every two to three weeks - finally gave in and called in to a tyre place and there was a HUGE screw embedded in the tyre :eek:

I'd never have thought the air would trickle out so slowly from something that big!

Anyway, 20 minutes and a tenner fixed it, and not a bother since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The last two slow punctures I have had were both bad valves. Fortunately easily fixed by my local FastFit for free (I made some vague promise to buy tyres there at some point in the future, perhaps) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

I've had a slow puncture for about a year now and just feel its not worth bringing in as its so slow. Pumped to 34ish PSI it only deflates to about 29 or 30 psi (when the warning comes on) after about 3 weeks or so. Would they be able to find a puncture this slow?

Need two tyres soon (not including the one that's losing a bit of air) so might get them to have a look when I'm there anyway for the tyres.

Pop off the wheel yourself and take it in, More than likely a bit of bead sealer and it'll be fine.

Mine went from 30 to 26 over a week and wouldn't go any lower... Been fine since. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭tomaso11

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I had a similar slow puncture on a new car (ie new tyres) recently - stuck it out for about six months pumping it up about every two to three weeks - finally gave in and called in to a tyre place and there was a HUGE screw embedded in the tyre :eek:

I'd never have thought the air would trickle out so slowly from something that big!

Anyway, 20 minutes and a tenner fixed it, and not a bother since.

ooops! I'd better check mine as I've been doing the same as you:)

Tyre deflation light came on last night on way home from work... reset at home as figured might be just from tyre being pumped etc... but came on again this morning on way to work... will swing by the tyre fitters again this evening...

Tyre deflation light came on last night on way home from work... reset at home as figured might be just from tyre being pumped etc... but came on again this morning on way to work... will swing by the tyre fitters again this evening...

The same wheel? Is the tyre actually gone down or is it a faulty/ damaged sensor?

Tyre centre checked at lunch time... pumped all wheels to correct pressure... reset indicator.. should be fine hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

I have a slow leak on a tyre between rim of alloy and tyre. removing tyre and remounting it didn't help. In 6 weeks of non-use the tyre will drop from over 30psi to under 20psi and that has been happening for the last year.

I also find that over the 6 months my summer tyres have been on my car that the pressure has dropped and on these cold days the TPMS light is illuminated until the tyres warm up. Winter tyres are going on in a week or two so not worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

737max wrote: »
    I have a slow leak on a tyre between rim of alloy and tyre. removing tyre and remounting it didn't help. In 6 weeks of non-use the tyre will drop from over 30psi to under 20psi and that has been happening for the last year.

I also find that over the 6 months my summer tyres have been on my car that the pressure has dropped and on these cold days the TPMS light is illuminated until the tyres warm up. Winter tyres are going on in a week or two so not worried.

Perhaps the rim is the problem and not the tyre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I had this years ago on an old car - had the tyres removed and refitted loads of times, but pitting on the alloys was letting air out.

1 can of tyreweld across all 4 tyres sorted the issue out. Must have plugged the small gaps that bead sealer wasn't able to. For about €10 it's worth a shot.

The wheel was resprayed and is in good order so it looks like tyreweld will be my solution if I ever get around to using the car again. The other set of spare identical alloys which I have haven't been resprayed so I'm sticking with the nice clean ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

The wheel was resprayed and is in good order so it looks like tyreweld will be my solution if I ever get around to using the car again. The other set of spare identical alloys which I have haven't been resprayed so I'm sticking with the nice clean ones.

resprayed or dents/imperfections removed & resprayed? There's a difference.

• Advertisement

resprayed on wheels which previously didn't have a problem.
    Not very worried about this, just adding my experience of similar problem for others.

Advertisement