Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming to Dublin Area - Need Help w/Property

Options
  • 02-10-2016 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi,

I am coming to Dublin from the UK to find work and to live and I am finding renting anywhere vaguely near Dublin to be a complete nightmare. The place on Upper Buckingham Street appears on daft.ie but I have been told that it's an awful rough place, and it is impossible to find other short term lets to give me time to buy a place and have work.

My situation is a bit different however, because I have been promised a sum of money and I know I can buy a place in Sallins mortgage free, however that is on the proviso that I get work (however I may convince the holder of said money to allow me to buy due to the crazy rent market in Dublin). Question is should I just go ahead and buy myself the flat in Sallins, and how long might it take for a property transaction to complete if I went as fast as possible?

Apologies for rambling, I just want to get out of the UK fairly swiftly now.

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Why not rent in sallins? Train takes 25 min to Dublin.
    Also plenty of jobs in the Naas area.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Depending on what time and what train!
    The commute from Sallins could be expensive too as it is outside the Dublin commuter area - see taxsaver.ie for annual tickets.
    Where is Dublin are you going to be working? Is it near Heuston? if not then add on the time to get from Heuston to where you work.
    If you plan to live long term n Sallins then I would rent there now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Cravens

I guess I should have also discussed my limitations, my budget is €800/month (which gets me more or less nothing) and I would rather rent on a short term basis only so that I can buy (will be a cash purchase) quick enough so as not to be buying at 2007 levels. While I haven't a job yet, I probably would be working nearer Tara Street in my profession, so the new direct Newbridge/Grand Canal Dock service will come in handy when it's intro'd.

RE: ticket prices, the monthly Sallins - Heuston is roughly 50-60% of the cost of a London Zone 1-6 monthly ticket while I lived there, so I won't be too worried about the cost of travel.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Best bet is to rent a room from an owner occupier, there would be no lease as such, you could stay or leave when you need with a bit of notice and should get a room for that price somewhere decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

You won't get a flat or apartment for yourself at that price especially without a work reference and no chance of a lease under 12 months

• Advertisement
Advertisement