Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil mixing with coolant Renault Scenic

• 02-10-2016 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering has anyone had this problem of oil mixing with the coolant engine seems to be loosing a bit of oil gradually and coolant is gone black and oily. It's a 1999 Renault megane scenic 1.6 engine. Mechanic reckons head could be going. Had a burst water pipe recently enough an that is fixed now. Head got re done 4 year back. Not worth re doing again. Any other quick fixes will put up pictures later. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

You could try some additives from the Motorfactors that promise to fix this kind of thing but I've never had any success with them. I'm afraid it's new car time:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Would it be head gasket if oil was mixing with coolant but water is not mixing with the oil if ya get me? Seen on another forum about it been a oil filter housing problem. Car only has 99k on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Are you sure coolant was fine before?
    If it was head gasket - there is higher pressure in the coolant system initially during startup and driving (actually this is not always true) than the oil system, so coolant would start to run low and you would see some gunk on the dipstick and oil cap.

Do you drive short stretches in town or motorway every day? Long drives every day could burn off any water in the oil.

She was serviced last January everything new oil change coolant flushed and new yellow coolant.

Short journeys literally ten minutes in and out four times a day.

Back in July had a burst pipe which spat out coolant all over engine it was still yellow at this stage got that pipe replaced and all was fine till noticed at start of sept she was loosing oil one day when car was parked on a hill (engine upwards) oil on ground but could not find where she was leaking.

That's it no gunk whatsoever on dipstick or where oil goes in.

Only noticed that when car is brought to a quick stop engine seems to struggle a bit(always has done this since got car 5 year back but slightly worse now) other than that she's driving 100%.
    Starts first time too.

This is oil and seems to be at least an inch of oil in top of tank

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

iamtony wrote: »
    You could try some additives from the Motorfactors that promise to fix this kind of thing but I've never had any success with them. I'm afraid it's new car time:-)

That stuff is a lottery. It might work but then you just can't depend on it holding long term. You wouldn't be able to rely on the car to go on a long journey.

Really that stuff is just an emergency stop gap measure to keep you going until a proper repair can be done.

The car is scrap now. Uneconomic repair.

Although the car gets little use as you say, the 4 times a day 10 minute runs is very hard on the engine. Thats lots of expansion and contraction every day that over the years could mean the gasket deteriorates. Just a theory.

On the other hand if there is an oil cooler integrated into the radiator it might be that which is leaking. I don't know if these cars have oil coolers though. If this is the case you might be able to salvage it by fitting a replacement radiator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Did it over heat when she blew the hose? Do you see bubbles in water reservoir?

Oil cap clean and pipe that burst in july

223vmax wrote: »
    Did it over heat when she blew the hose? Do you see bubbles in water reservoir?

Didn't overheat no it lost a bit of coolant but I was able to drive her on to a garage once it stayed under 2500 revs she didn't spew out coolant.
    Back in 2012 when I got head re done she just about overheated on motarway and two pipes burst but I got engine off and parked up just in time it lost nearly all coolant that time. I've put 40000 miles on it since.

Edit no bubbles

Just an update on this back at the start a January a pipe burst and I had to replace which was easy and cheap fix... I've put a bottle of steel seal in it back in October and so far all is good she's driving on... Heating has gone slightly since I put in the steel seal bit enough to de fog ... Put her in for NCT and she passed so it's worth a shot if anyone has same problems...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

That steel seal works well on a gasket failure, cracked head no good. It's limited though only a band aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 neverwrong

thermostat housing is cracked.its at end of cylinder head,cracked inside

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

neverwrong wrote: »
    thermostat housing is cracked.its at end of cylinder head,cracked inside

different engine

• Registered Users Posts: 7 neverwrong

only two people can fix that then ..maguire&patterson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

neverwrong wrote: »
    only two people can fix that then ..maguire&patterson.
    :pac::pac:

Advertisement