Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl Salmon

• 02-10-2016 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11 bananapancakes

Apologies if this is out of place, I am wondering people's opinions on Lidl prepackaged ready to eat smoked salmon darned. They are €1.99 each for 125g. They contain 34g of protein each. I suppose my query is 3 fold, are these a good? Are they are viable alternative to protein bars, and thirdly how close to or prior to a weight session should they be consumed to give maximum benefit. Thanks in advance folks. Your knowledge is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Apologies if this is out of place, I am wondering people's opinions on Lidl prepackaged ready to eat smoked salmon darned. They are €1.99 each for 125g. They contain 34g of protein each. I suppose my query is 3 fold, are these a good? Are they are viable alternative to protein bars, and thirdly how close to or prior to a weight session should they be consumed to give maximum benefit. Thanks in advance folks. Your knowledge is much appreciated!

Your diet isn't going to be made or broken by any one item.
    If your frame of reference for protein foods is protein bars, you need to read up a bit more.
    You should be getting 20+ grams of protein at every meal. If you're not getting much protein in across the day then one item of food before/after training isn't really going to have much of an impact

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bananapancakes

Your diet isn't going to be made or broken by any one item. If your frame of reference for protein foods is protein bars, you need to read up a bit more. You should be getting 20+ grams of protein at every meal. If you're not getting much protein in across the day then one item of food before/after training isn't really going to have much of an impact

My frame of reference for protein is not protein bars. Also I wasn't asking for a meal plan or a condescending reply. My observation is this food source contains 34g of protein which I understand to be a good amount for 125g of food. It is also relatively cheap at €1.99. Thanks for taking the time to reply, I was looking for an opinion and information not specific personal advice.

My frame of reference for protein is not protein bars. Also I wasn't asking for a meal plan or a condescending reply. My observation is this food source contains 34g of protein which I understand to be a good amount for 125g of food. It is also relatively cheap at €1.99. Thanks for taking the time to reply, I was looking for an opinion and information not specific personal advice.

Apologies if it came across as condescending - wasn't the intention.

Salmon is tasty and full of healthy stuff
    Can't go wrong

I would have salmon over a protein bar every time, regardless of macros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I would have salmon over a protein bar every time, regardless of macros.

I dunno, a piece of salmon with a cup of tea just wouldn't go down well in the evening

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I dunno, a piece of salmon with a cup of tea just wouldn't go down well in the evening

Ditch the tea, then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dtp1979 wrote: »

With a bagel and some cottage cheese <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

I had the lidl salmon on a crispy brown roll, lettuce and green pesto the weekend, it was the nicest roll I've had in a long time.

The salmon can be a little bit oily so not sure with regards to calories but its feckin gorgeous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Apologies if this is out of place, I am wondering people's opinions on Lidl prepackaged ready to eat smoked salmon darned. They are €1.99 each for 125g. They contain 34g of protein each. I suppose my query is 3 fold, are these a good?

Salmon is as good a source of protein as any, 34g is ideal for any meal. More importantly, salmon is a great source of fat which is another essential Macro-nutrient. It's not all about protein - fats and carbs are equally important. Lidl stuff is generally as good as anywhere else, haven't seen the nutrition label for the product you are talking about but would be surprised if it did not compare well with other brands.
    Are they are viable alternative to protein bars, and thirdly how close to or prior to a weight session should they be consumed to give maximum benefit. Thanks in advance folks. Your knowledge is much appreciated!

When you are talking about nutrition prior to a weights session, you would really want to consider taking in carbs as well as protein - carbs will give you energy to train and getting in the right amount of carbs at the right times is an efficient way of taking in the calories you need (I emphasise, right amount at right times). I would generally eat a big meal about an hour and a half before a weights session that contains 80-130 grams of carbs (varies from cutting to bulking) and 40-50 grams of protein (a bit higher than this when I have steak once a week).

I am personally not a fan of protein bars, I find them expensive when compared to powder and not as convenient to get in straight after a workout. Protein supplements are really an alternative to food though, not the other way round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Do you mean salmon darnes or smoked salmon? Any time I put my smoked salmon servings into MyFitnessPal it gives me warnings about how much sodium is in it, so I don't tend to eat it every day, or I'll have like a 60g portion (half a pack) with an egg and some spinach or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Do you mean salmon darnes or smoked salmon?
    They said smoked darnes, I assumed that's what they meant.
    But I'm hoping now that they aren't talking about lightly smoked/flavoured fillets that they've been rating raw

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭EmmaMurray2016

Write to Lidil they might bring you out on a fishing trip and show you how good it is. ;)

Ah no I like their salmon. Handy and good price :)

Advertisement