Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brad Pitt Suicide Facebook Scam

• 02-10-2016 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭

Apologies if I posted this on wrong forum, please move if so.

Anyway I clicked on a seemingly legit link to a FOX news article posted by a friend on the above. I thought something was up afterwards and researched it and then I learned of the scam that's been going on for the last few days apparently, i.e. not true at all.

I've since changed my Facebook password but are there anymore steps I can take?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

If you use the same email/password combination on other sites/services, change those as well.

Edit:
    This only really applies if you entered your credentials into the phishing page.
    Or if you think you did.
    Or if you can't remember.

Oh, let's play it safe - change them anyway.
    jaxxx wrote: »
    Apologies if I posted this on wrong forum, please move if so.

Anyway I clicked on a seemingly legit link to a FOX news article posted by a friend on the above. I thought something was up afterwards and researched it and then I learned of the scam that's been going on for the last few days apparently, i.e. not true at all.

I've since changed my Facebook password but are there anymore steps I can take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

liamo wrote: »
    If you use the same email/password combination on other sites/services, change those as well.

Edit:
    This only really applies if you entered your credentials into the phishing page.
    Or if you think you did.
    Or if you can't remember.

Oh, let's play it safe - change them anyway.

Didn't enter anything, just clicked on the link. I use different passwords for all sites that my email is linked to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Probably* nothing to worry about then :)

*Depending on your level of paranoia (or what you might like to call "common sense", depending on your level of paranoia ;))

jaxxx wrote: »
    Didn't enter anything, just clicked on the link. I use different passwords for all sites that my email is linked to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Harika

A virus/malware scan might also be a good idea.

Advertisement