Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plum Tree

Options
  • 02-10-2016 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭

I've just harvested a good crop of plums from my Lidl plum tree (first crop after several years)

It was quite a challenge to pick some of the higher ones, and they'll be higher next year unless I do something about it.

Does anyone know if it would be OK of I lopped the higher upright branches or will that ruin it for the future? Can I cut it now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Too late to do anything with plums without risking silver leaf. Leave it until June/July and if you lose some of the crop, so be it. Plums often need to have some of the fruits removed anyway as they are such prolific fruit bearers that branches can actually break under the weight. Once you get it to a manageable size, keep it at that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Too late to do anything with plums without risking silver leaf. Leave it until June/July and if you lose some of the crop, so be it. Plums often need to have some of the fruits removed anyway as they are such prolific fruit bearers that branches can actually break under the weight. Once you get it to a manageable size, keep it at that.

Good to know, I've always pruned mine in winter which apparently is not so clever, though I've had no issues to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'm going to wait until next summer - I've also heard it's a good idea to paint the wounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Jury is out on painting pruning cuts. Nowadays, most of the top gardening experts say not to, the reason being that you can actually lock pests and diseases into the plant by painting the wound.

Advertisement