Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifetime plex

Options
  • 02-10-2016 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

What is plex and what's a lifetime plex sub I'm new to all this and a local guy is selling it,does that mean every sporting event and h d or can anyone explain I can t understand it when I googled it sorry

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Plex is a home media server / client. basically it means you install it on 1 pc, and all the media it is synced with (Movies / Music) can be available to any other PC / Laptop / Tablet / Phone you own. Be it on your wifi, or through the internet.

However:
    For phones / Tablets there's apps you pay for.

The subscription give you access to the apps without paying for an app on each device.
    It also allows you to share your library, or access a library owned by someone else that shares with you. (The library being the Movies/Music you have stored on your server)

IT IS NOT:

A subscription service that gives you access to Movies, Boxsets, Live TV/Sports. (Which Sounds like what you are looking for)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Although there are IPTV subscription services that add into PLEX, that you pay for. These supply all the TV channels which I think your local guy is selling

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

MoodeRator wrote: »
    Although there are IPTV subscription services that add into PLEX, that you pay for. These supply all the TV channels which I think your local guy is selling

Think that's it he's looking for a lot of money tho and I'm not sure what I get if I decide to buy ,don't want to be ripped off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

How much? Is it an annual fee as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

MoodeRator wrote: »
    How much? Is it an annual fee as well?

Yes an annual fee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Need more info. Is he selling you access to a plex media server somewhere? That would be very dodgy and the server could get taken offline by plex when they notice this as it is against their policy.

Plex is a client and server solution.

The server hosts all YOUR media (photos, movies, music, tv shows, home videos). It also has what is called channels, which allow 3rd party plugins to provide their content, but channels is not properly supported and breaks down too often to be considered reliable. You would need a PC/server/NAS to host this server and it would need to be running when you want to watch content.

Plex have clients for nearly every platform out there (android, ios, windows mobile, windows desktop, browser, chromecast, apple tv, roku, amazon fire, etc). These clients then talk to your server and grant you access to your media wherever in the world you are. This is achieved in the background using Plex's own servers. So if a lot of people are accessing a server somewhere this will come to the attention of plex.

There is a free version and then there is a premium version. The premium version can be paid for monthly or you can buy a once off that will grant you life time access to the premium features.

I can't remember all the premium features, some of the nice ones are that if you add some content to your server then it is automatically synced to your phone so you can watch it offline later, another is trailers before movies. There are many more listed at the bottom of this page.

You don't need the premium subscription for just watching your content, it is only when you want the extra features that it may be worth paying for.

Does this guy have a plex pro account? There is now a service from plex where professional installers can set everything up for you. Otherwise anyone can do this, and it is really not that difficult. Plex make it very simple and guide you through the process of setting up the server. There is nothing involved in setting up the client, you just log in with your account and the client is ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I've one at home. You get all the channels plus access to their libraries on plex.

They're more geared towards sports than watching your soaps during the week. They should not be your only means of watching tv.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Folks,

Please take note of the stickey at the top of all of the Home Entertainment forums - discussion of plex from a technical point of view is ok, discussion of obtaining subscription to srvixs without paying the original provider for them is off limits.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭andy1249

Think that's it he's looking for a lot of money tho and I'm not sure what I get if I decide to buy ,don't want to be ripped off

Regardless of what hes offering , and it sounds very questionable , its almost certainly something you could do yourself for free.
    So its definitely a rip off.

Advertisement