Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiing with Young Kids

Options
  • 02-10-2016 11:49pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We have a 2 and a 3 year old who will be 4 and almost 3 in March when we want to go and will also (hopefully) have 3 month old in March.

Are we crazy to think about a trip? Have no worries about the older child, but what age can you realistically start kids given the younger one wont quite be 3?

How realistic is it to get a creche for a 3 month old in a resort?

Any resorts/countries in particular anyone would recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

I can only comment on what I've had first hand experience on.
    Les Gets - France, had our little one over at 4months - in chalet babysitting, expensive but we felt worth it for one that young.
    The next year we tried the crèche - didn't suit our little lady but should be fine for your older kids.
    The piou-piou won't take the 3yr old for skiing, but will mind them and have snow activities suitable.
    The 4yr old should be able to get ski school - they aren't able for any longer than a morning lesson.
    -Coley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I'd second Les Gets. Although I haven't had kids there it looks perfect for them, there is a nice big fenced area where they can play in the snow, there's a little train that goes around the town, it wouldn't be teeming with drunks, and it's very close to Geneva Airport. Only negative I can think of is, it might not be as snow-sure as other resorts due to its relatively low elevation. Morzine, which is next door to it, is also very nice, but it's a lot bigger and more commerical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

I have to admire your tenacity, but how much skiing do you realistically expect to get with three smallies in tow? If just one of them takes a dislike to the creche, or gets sick, you're stuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

If you have ski buddies with smallies it helps to hook up for the holidays, then potentially only one parent needs to miss some ski time if any of the little ones have the audacity to not like the snow :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Researching mostly to see what the story is. The 4 year old will take to it like he was born on skis I have no doubt. The other fella is more unknown, he would do anything his brother does but I think he's still a bit young and they wouldn't be together based on the age restrictions. Given where birthdays fall might be season after next before it all lines up for the 2 of them which is a pity.

We do have a range of skiing friends and family with kids who I think will all travel together in the long run but no one who has brought theirs yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Rew wrote: »
    We have a 2 and a 3 year old who will be 4 and almost 3 in March when we want to go and will also (hopefully) have 3 month old in March.
    Are we crazy to think about a trip? Have no worries about the older child, but what age can you realistically start kids given the younger one wont quite be 3?

The 4 year old will ski for 2-4 hours a day if you are lucky, the 3 year old will ski for 1-3 hours if the humor takes them.

Based on thousands of hours teaching kids here is some guidelines. Obviously these vary based on the physical and mental development of individual kids and their general temperament.

Its very important to keep it fun, it should be like play time for them and if they cry, or dont want to that is fine, bring them for a treat or a play in the snow and try them again shortly after.

Children under 4 should generally ski for 1-2 hours a day, say 30 min ski a little play in the snow KEEP THE SKIS ON THEM! then another 20-30 min and then a hot chocolate break. Repeat for the 2nd hour, if you are lucky you will get a 3rd hour after lunch

4-5 same as the above but with more ski time and less breaks and you will probably get 4-5 hours from them on snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

@Fattes

Great insight there.Is 4 the minimum age they will take kids?
    Ive boarded for 15 years now and was thinking of taking my little one next year who will be 4 but wanted to know,from your experience,what packages can you get for the kids? ie 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the afternoon.What is the average cost?
    Do kids ,in general, stay in the classes or get bored/cry for mam n dad?

davmol wrote: »
    @Fattes

Great insight there.Is 4 the minimum age they will take kids?
    Ive boarded for 15 years now and was thinking of taking my little one next year who will be 4 but wanted to know,from your experience,what packages can you get for the kids? ie 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the afternoon.What is the average cost?
    Do kids ,in general, stay in the classes or get bored/cry for mam n dad?

Most ski schools work on the principal of 3 and toilet trained and they will take them but that will vary.

2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon is standard for Austria and Switzerland. France tends to do mornings or afternoon. But it will vary from School to school. Average for a week is 200-300 including lunch supervision for Austria and Switzerland.

As for the kids, well some cry, some can't leave mammy and daddy quick enough others just get on with it! You will know yourself from your own little one how they probably will be.

Most ski schools are very understanding especially with very young kids and assign instructors used to them.

As an example this little princess was one of the highlights of last season for me! She was 3 and skied with me for one hour every day for a week! Most days I got a solid 45 min skiing with her, from that hour, mostly singing Frozen songs to her, and showing her Disney videos in the list

2 or 3 days after the lesson she had a hot chocolate and skied with her parents for 30 min after 1 day we struggled as the lesson was on her nap time! So we did less skiing and more play time focuses on balance and movement to help her skiing

* photo used with her parents permission

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Great stuff.I don't suppose you instruct anywhere near the ski-welt in Austria?

• Advertisement

davmol wrote: »
    Great stuff.I don't suppose you instruct anywhere near the ski-welt in Austria?

Sadly not, I don't get to ski in Austria half as much as I would like, but I am lucky with where i am based.

Plenty of great schools in that part of the world, with tons of great instructors. Your kids will be in good hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

d2ww wrote: »
    I have to admire your tenacity, but how much skiing do you realistically expect to get with three smallies in tow? If just one of them takes a dislike to the creche, or gets sick, you're stuffed.

This was my thinking. With three of them it is very optimistic. Again I admire your tenacity but I wonder would you be better off waiting till the youngest one is three or four? Or else going with friends / family so you can get an hour or two to yourself here and there?

I went last year with my then three and three quarter old, his first time, he loved it, he didn't ski in any meaningful sense, I just held him between my legs and brought him around (obv went down a black on the first day for the craic:)). Two hours of that each day and he was happy to play in the snow with his cousins or head back to apart and I could head off for a bit and leave him with my missus (who just reminded me she was seven months pregnant when I asked her if she skied last year, I had managed to forget that).

I was happy with that and am going to have to be happy with that for a few years I think. He has a sister now and its going to be very different ski holiday for us for another few years.

Also if you can get off for your own (possibly unlikely given your circumstances) even for two days you could prob get more skiing, and with peace of mind than with them with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pending

Check out Val Cenis in France. There's a creche http://www.garderievalcenis.com/ which will take babies from 3 months, and ski school will take kids from 3 yrs. We stayed here http://www.cis-valcenis.com/?l=en and while it's not luxury, it's dirt cheap! Full board, ski pass included, reductions for kids - oh and under 3s are free. Few mins walk to the creche, they have buggies with snow tyres free to use, and they have a little minibus to take the kids to and from ski school.

They do full or half days in the creche, and ski school can be mornings or afternoons, or both. My little one (now 8) was first on skis there at 2, and went through the ESF system and is now starting out ski racing. He doesn't ever remember learning to ski, and if it was tough at times when he was little, it was SO worth it. He'd be a nightmare to teach if he was only starting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Skibunny77

As a side note and Fattes may be able to clarify further- I asked our ski instructor last year, if the instructors needed police clearance before working with kids. He said they didn't. As someone working in health, I just found that appalling and hopefully an isolated incident in St Anton? There is absolutely no way I would hand my child over to anyone without vetting, particularly when any kind of bathroom supervision is required without clearance - I appreciate three year olds are toilet trained, but they often need some support around the bathroom routine/dressing.

Skibunny77 wrote: »
    As a side note and Fattes may be able to clarify further- I asked our ski instructor last year, if the instructors needed police clearance before working with kids. He said they didn't. As someone working in health, I just found that appalling and hopefully an isolated incident in St Anton? There is absolutely no way I would hand my child over to anyone without vetting, particularly when any kind of bathroom supervision is required without clearance - I appreciate three year olds are toilet trained, but they often need some support around the bathroom routine/dressing.

I do find the focus on child protection a tad OTT sometimes (See story below) but probably that is based on experience, and not being a parent! I do however understand the need for proper controls and checks to protect children and young adults. In relation to ski teaching some of them controls, are naturally occurring, via the environment, and equipment requirements.

Generally most instructors do not hold child clearance specifically for their snow sports work, some like me might, or via other activities. BASI (British Ski instructor licensing body) require child clearance as part of issuing their license, for IASI the Irish body, from this year new candidates are required to take a chid protection exam but no clearance. I have full clearance via a number of things I do in both skiing and other sports. British and Irish instructor are unique, in that the mostly work in closed environments, snow domes, dry slopes were the parents are required to be present for the duration of the lesson. The ski Club of Ireland does require instructors to have Garda Vetting.

The British are also unique, as their law requires child clearance, so it has to be part of what they do. For all the major Alpine nations it is not the case.

There are a few reasons for this, the environment, it is almost impossible for an instructor in a group lesson to be 1 on 1 with a Kid at any time, either in an open mountain environment or in the restaurant! It is also whey you tend to see a lot of Stagiere, or trainee female instructors dealing with large groups of young kids or assisting people who are. I think it helps ease parental concerns.

Than cultural, I am not sure what it says about Irish culture that we automatically assume every person is interested in harming children rather than it being the exception. Where as the Swiss, French etc see it as the exception!

I don't have kids myself, so not sure how a parent thinks. However I am super cautions around kids, I lift them from the armpits always, I explain what I am doing and ask them to put their hands straight out to lift them etc. It comes form experience, of dealing with parents and various over zealous officials from sporting organisations.

I once had an official, from an organisation I won't name, ask me for my child clearance, while I was setting a race course on a dry slope. The slope was empty save for me, 2 male adults and this adult female official. All athletes and every one else was in the canteen/kitchen on a break. I explained i didn't have it on me but I was certified, She asked was I certified for this specific organisation, I said no, she then demanded I stop and someone else complete the task. The two other male adults told her nobody else was insured or qualified to do what I was doing and reminded her that she was a guest in our club. She persisted, It led to me telling her if I was a pedophile I would be better off in the kitchen than on the hill and too Fu*& off! She didn't take it very well. :D:D In the end she had to relent and apologise, its amazing what a mob of angry parents can achieve. :D:P

Its a sad reflection of the world, but I guess that is how it is

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

I had always wanted to bring my daughter skiing from the age of 3... it just never worked out. As people have mentioned we organised a family holiday with friends and it worked out great She was 7 and I took her to ski centre twice and kilternan 3 times (which she preferred. Worked out great... she jumped straight in to it when we got there and was much better than i thought... went to ski school in the morning then skied with me for the avo. Im glad I left it (unintentionally) till she was 7!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Hi

Our 3 and a half yr old skied in ski school last Jan for the full day. for 5 days lessons and then with us for the last day. We had a ball and she was able to ski any blue run. It was herfirst yrskiing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

dzer2 wrote: »
    Hi

Our 3 and a half yr old skied in ski school last Jan for the full day. for 5 days lessons and then with us for the last day. We had a ball and she was able to ski any blue run. It was herfirst yrskiing.

Where were you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Rew wrote: »

Good friends of mine went to Morzine-Avoriaz (same giant Portes du Soleil skiing area than Les Gets BTW) last year with a 4 years old and an 8 months old. Between crèche & piou-piou, they found it pretty good but they had planned not to use it for the full day (to reduce cost e.g. skied in the morning with kids in crèche/piou-piou and one of them would stay with them in the afternoon).

Advertisement