Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your go to DE setup?

Options
  • 03-10-2016 7:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭

For me at the moment

Merkur 33c "classic" - I have slightly sensitive skin and find this is a nice and light one for my skin

Wilkinson sword or Gillette & Wilkinson sword blade. I tried my Vokshod for the first time last night and it was excellent tho

I find Thayer's skin toner an excellent post shave application it's got witch hazel and aloe Vera

I use canned foam these days as I never really loved the soap and brushes element. Im far more into trying out blades and razors and my after shaves/colognes.

Pinaud Clubman would be my go to daily aftershave I love it and you can get 370ml delivered for under €20

What about you all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

My most regular shave is:

Proraso red preshave.
    Semogue Owner's Club Boar brush
    Either Muhle R89 or Merkur 41c depending on mood
    ToBS Grapefruit or Sandalwood cream depending on mood
    Vokshod blade
    GFT sandalwood skin food
    Old Spice splash.

I will never used canned crap again after using real cream. Have you tried creams instead of soaps? There are some you can use brushless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Muhle R89 and GSB blades coupled with MWF which I use as a shave stick.

Proraso Red Sandalwood would be second in the list of soap. Polsilver or Gillette 7 o'clock yellows for blades.

Occasionally use Nivea post shave balm or proraso red aftershave splash.

When I started I had all kinds of pre shave and post shave stuff but I keep it pretty simple now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I don't think I've ever had a stable set up. I change stuff around a lot.

I've only recently decided to such with one cream or soap and use it until it is finished. I use one of 4 aftershaves at the minute but after that it's whatever takes my fancy.

I have 6 brushes to choose from, 3 DE's, I don't know how many brand of blade and something like 15 straight razors. Although lately I have been enjoying DE's again. Haven't used any of my straights in about a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I vary soap and aftershave daily but really have just one hardware setup:

Gillette Aristocrat #16 Rhodium w/ Persona blues
    Shavemac 44140 custom ebony silvertip, 22mm knot, 48mm loft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

I was the same as Cortecs I got almost addicted and built up a stash quite quickly.

I have so many blades I don't think I'll ever run out.

Just on the creams I've used all the Prorasco and Palmolive sticks and tube cream but its something I find I very boring and tedious process to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Mine is the Merkur 34c long handled version, Edwin Jagger Best Badger Hair Shaving Brush, Nivea shave cream with Vokshod, Personna Platinum or Feather blades.

Like many I will never have to buy a blade again as I have way too many to use.
    Soaps and creams, I have about seven different types but now I have setted for the Nivea Shave cream, It's very good and easy to get a good cream in no time at all and best still it's only €2 a tube and lasts about 8 months.
    I have a few razors but tbh the 34c is so the only one I think I'll ever use and the Edwin Jagger Brush is the only one I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I have around 30 artisan soaps and seven brushes that get rotated. I also rotate about 10 aftershaves. I don't really rotate my razor though. I use an ATT R2 with a Vokshod blade as it's gives the best all round shave. Anything else is just subpar.
    My favorite soap and brush setup would be Mike's barbershop and the Simpson Duke 2 brush. Followed by Fine barbershop aftershave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

My Merkur Progress and Gillette yellows have become my first choice now for sure.

Went up to setting 2 there earlier and got a great shave with it, might get away with 3 but doubt higher would work without irritating or even be necessary as setting 2 with the yellow cleaned off a bushy 10 days growth sweetly

Advertisement