Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merging forums?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,931 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

gandalf wrote: »
    Yep they really messed up boards royally with the "reorganisation". I would definitely say flattening the structure of the quieter forums would be of benefit.

Indeed, the reorganisation really killed a lot of the smaller forums as the chances of randomly browsing into them like under the older structure is gone now.

I actually used that way of browsing my favourite forums for years, didn't even bother with 'my forums' as it was really easy to find them.

Since the reorganisation it just seems like a ghosttown :(

I'd agree that the only way back from that is to start merging a lot together. To be honest I think before that, something would need to be done about the range of forums under 'topics' - it's basically the meat of the site combined under one heading, which imo is far too much in one place.

If it were up to me, I'd remove the 'adverts.ie' section from the headings as it's pretty redundant given all those headings are also on the adverts.ie website - just put a permalink to adverts.ie somewhere in general.

With the added extra space at the top, I'd split 'topics' out into at least two headings, (something like Rec and Soc again) to spread everything out so it's not all under one heading.

Then I'd start thinking about merging smaller forums together.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

dudara wrote: »
    I'd recommend contacting the CMods and suggesting it. Merging forums can make a lot of sense in the right circumstances

I'm a pretty experienced user, and I wouldn't know who the CMods for various categories are. Nor would I care.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm a pretty experienced user, and I wouldn't know who the CMods for various categories are. Nor would I care.

On desktop versions the CMods are listed at the bottom of each forum underneath the forum mods. Unfortunately on Touch they're all lumped in together so it is harder to know which are mods and which are CMods.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

They need to merge After Hours and Personal Issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I remember when Home Entertainment was just one forum. Its division into 6 or 7 wasn't justified IMO.

The "build it and they will come" philosophy to forum creation has never really worked on Boards in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the Mustard forum is gone?

how could you!

loyatemu wrote: »

how could you!

No it isn't

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

how could you!
    Gone here?

Where was it before?:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Beasty wrote: »
    Gone here?

Where was it before?:pac:
    In my cupboard next to the red sauce...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Zaph wrote: »

thank god - I was foolishly looking for it under Food & Drink.

• Advertisement

thank god - I was foolishly looking for it under Food & Drink.

Mustard is neither food nor drink, it is a state of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Zaph wrote: »
    Mustard is neither food nor drink, it is a state of mind.

No joke but this post sent me off reading in the Mustard forum.

Thanks,

Advertisement