Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa sack di Matteo (124 days into the job)

• 03-10-2016 9:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭

Just announced! Villa have sacked Roberto di Matteo and will now be looking for their fifth manager in a year.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37534496

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Job for Big Sam there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Given the way the club has performed for the last 5 years, its going to be a while before they're back in the top flight. Bit like Leeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭DenMan

eigrod wrote: »
    Job for Big Sam there :)

That would be something else! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This guy made Remi Garde and Tim Sherwood look like Pep.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Considering we've been discussing his replacement in the Villa Super thread for the last few weeks it's no surprise.

• Advertisement

Steve Bruce I reckon will be the new manager.

DenMan wrote: »
    The only obstacle would be if he is holding out for the England job.

DenMan wrote: »

Would ya rather Bruce or Allardyce at the club?

Before the bung, I'd have taken Allardyce everyday if I was a Villa fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

GavRedKing wrote: »

Why should it change anything?

Stating the fact you can get around FA rules would have no baring on Villa or the fans. There concern will be getting back to the prem and Sam can do that.

Unless Villa fans have developed some over sensitive moral compass.

Perfect job for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

How short a time frame he had in the job was highlighted in the title but nobody should take that as a wow give the lad a chance type thing he deserved to go. Considering the amount of backing he had and the players he now has at his disposal the lack of results was disappointing but some of his decisions were just baffling. He continued to play tactics which were completely lopsided (usually with 4 forwards on the pitch) and when Villa had the lead in games his substitutions would often be him taking off a defense player to throw on another attacking player. Then time and time again we would throw away leads and drop points.

It is disappointing to see from a guy who has a CL trophy as well as championship promotion already on his managerial CV and nobody is expecting to walk the championship but 1 win in 11, less points than games played... it was a deserved sacking.

Steve Bruce is the most hotly tipped name but i'd imagine he sees himself as having a shot at the England job.
    Big Sam will be mentioned but it's too soon after he has been tarred with the "Dodgy" brush for Villa to think appointing him wouldn't look bad. So whether I'd like him or not I just don't see it being at all likely.

BBC actually has us linked to younger British managers
    "Among the candidates bound to be considered are Bruce, who is available, and three young, progressive managers - Huddersfield's David Wagner, Bristol City's Lee Johnson and Brentford's Smith - who is a lifelong Villa fan and used to clean the steps on the Holte End with his father.

• Advertisement

Steve Bruce is the most hotly tipped name but i'd imagine he sees himself as having a shot at the England job.

I would have thought southgate keeping the job was the most likely outcome.
    If he wins these four matches there's no way the FA will take him out.

His press conference was one of the most intelligent I've heard for years from any manager. He's a shoe in I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Sherwood is interested in going back. Cant be any worse to be fair. Better record than Di Matteo.

GBX wrote: »
    Sherwood is interested in going back. Cant be any worse to be fair. Better record than Di Matteo.
    Not a hope will he be back in charge. Apples from the same tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Given the way the club has performed for the last 5 years, its going to be a while before they're back in the top flight. Bit like Leeds.

Leeds are broke as ****, Villa are not. He was sacked for getting nothing from the heavy investment this summer.

Would ya rather Bruce or Allardyce at the club?

Personally I think Bruce would be a better choice than Sam. He's a very trusting manager and his teams have played good football under him. Villa (and a lot of others) will be staying clear of Sam for the foreseeable future. He might be back in management in January. I was very impressed with Shearer talking about Southgate on MOTD on Saturday night. After the four games the FA should appoint him the new England manager. He knows the setup, the younger players coming through and would be a positive appointment for the national team.

crkball6 wrote: »
    I would have thought southgate keeping the job was the most likely outcome.
    If he wins these four matches there's no way the FA will take him out.

His press conference was one of the most intelligent I've heard for years from any manager. He's a shoe in I'd say.

I think Villa will wanna get a new man in during the international break and if Bruce thinks he has a chance with England that would make getting him almost impossible even if I do agree with your ascertation re Southgate. He is still the favourite for the Villa job though.

I think Villa will wanna get a new man in during the international break and if Bruce thinks he has a chance with England that would make getting him almost impossible even if I do agree with your ascertation re Southgate. He is still the favourite for the Villa job though.

Sorry, I misread your post.

I thought you meant Bruce was a shoe in for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Has Di Matteo ever been a good manager? Won a CL with Chelsea but had a team full of leaders and big characters like Terry, Lampard and Drogba and even then they were absolutely blessed at times during that run. Di Matteo just seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Sacked at West Brom and sacked at Villa. Resigned at Schalke when they collapsed towards the end of the season. Not to mention sacked at Chelsea a few months after winning the CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Has Di Matteo ever been a good manager? Won a CL with Chelsea but had a team full of leaders and big characters like Terry, Lampard and Drogba and even then they were absolutely blessed at times during that run. Di Matteo just seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Sacked at West Brom and sacked at Villa. Resigned at Schalke when they collapsed towards the end of the season. Not to mention sacked at Chelsea a few months after winning the CL.

I'd say Di Matteo had as much influence on Chelsea winning the champions league as I had, it was almost 100% pure luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Not really no, the Chelsea team that won the CL managed themselves. Similar to making the CL final with Avram Grant.

Player power actually gets results when you have the personel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'd say Di Matteo had as much influence on Chelsea winning the champions league as I had, it was almost 100% pure luck.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Villa have sleepwalked into a zombie club that have no basic purpose for existing. They will be like Millwall or Port Vale once the novelty of lower league football has worn off.

Villa have sleepwalked into a zombie club that have no basic purpose for existing. They will be like Millwall or Port Vale once the novelty of lower league football has worn off.
    Bet you any money Villa will be a Premier League club once more by the end of the decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What does that even mean.... :rolleyes:

Villa have sleepwalked into a zombie club that have no basic purpose for existing.

What the hell does this mean?

No purpose for existing? If things go badly sure you might as well fold up and go home. Hey Villa fans that club you support is pointless and should not exist because it has been badly managed for several years. :rolleyes:

Villa have only had a new owner a few months. He has by championship standard heavily heavily invested in the playing squad and I would hazard would be willing to do so even further in January. That said the current squad isn't actually all that bad and with a different manager would no doubt have more points on the board at the moment. I'm not sure what club you support but it'd be interesting to see how you react to them going through hard times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

What bung?:confused:

Never a good manager, pretty average IMO.

The CL win was down to him just appeasing the players and letting them play the way they wanted and not what AVB was trying to push on them.

He was sacked with the club in 3rd place and Benitez took over and done worse and narrowly scrapped top 4, had RDM being in charge for the season I think he would have finished top 4 too but ultimately Jose was coming back in the summer no matter who was in charge, Rafa or RDM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Might it be a bit too soon to take on Allardyce?

A few months later and Villa could say he'd served his time and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Steve Bruce is a decent shout tbh, great Championship manager. Just replace him the second he gets you promoted, as harsh as that sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Villa have sleepwalked into a zombie club that have no basic purpose for existing. They will be like Millwall or Port Vale

no purpose to exist - tell that to the Villa faithful ??

di Matteo did not work out , scoffing at winning the Champions league for Chelsea is unfair - but a decent manager at Villa and they should be in the premiership in 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Allardyce is the man to bring them back up. If the Villa board have the balls to overlook his recent fumble then they'll get a good man in Allardyce.

It is probably a bit soon for him to get a job but he is by far the best candidate.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Allardyce is the man to bring them back up. If the Villa board have the balls to overlook his recent fumble then they'll get a good man in Allardyce.

It is probably a bit soon for him to get a job but he is by far the best candidate.
    Absolutely agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

What about knicking your man managing Huddersfield? They've come from nowhere this year

Bridge93 wrote: »
    What about knicking your man managing Huddersfield? They've come from nowhere this year
    Looks great right now, could just be a good early run of form though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wagner would be nuts to leave HTFC for Villa regardless of the salary boost. Huddersfield have a strategic plan. Villa seem rudderless

• Advertisement

Wagner would be nuts to leave HTFC for Villa regardless of the salary boost. Huddersfield have a strategic plan. Villa seem rudderless
    Being allowed spend over 50 million in one window usually appeals to most managers.

While we're at it, tell me about Huddersfield's strategic plan.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

RDM as much as he is a likeable man and was a fine servant for Chelsea in his playing days is not a manager of any quality. As pointed out already, the likes of Lampard, Drogba and Terry actually managed the team in the UCL win. Chelsea finished 6th in the league which is only second to last season's utter meltdown in terms of failures. In fairness, the squad as it was in 11/12 and the league as it was, anything below 3rd would be regarded as a failure.

I would have thought that Allardyce has to be the preference for any club looking for a manager at the minute. The Telegraph have done the England team a huge disservice with their intrepid "journalism" and I think Allardyce is a fine manager even if he is otherwise despicable. Bruce isn't anywhere near him imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Allardyce was caught being indiscreet, nothing more. His reputation as a manager isn't really affected by what's happened. I'd say he'll hold out for a PL job (back to Sunderland?); the Championship is a minefield and he doesn't need to drop down there to come back. Bruce is a decent choice, he knows how to get a team promoted.

Advertisement