Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rehomed but original owner wants back

• 03-10-2016 10:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭

I got a call last week of a person asking if I could rehome their dog. They got the dog and they found out their son was allergic to her.... I took their dog and now 3 days later I get a phone call and they want the dog back....

Should I give him back?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SteM

223vmax wrote: »
    I got a call last week of a person asking if I could rehome their dog. They got the dog and they found out their son was allergic to her.... I took their dog and now 3 days later I get a phone call and they want the dog back....

Should I give him back?

Ask the owner what's changed. Their son is either allergic to the dog or he's not. I would hesitate in giving the dog straight back tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Have they realised that its not the dog that the son is allergic to? I don't see how that is possible in 3 days though.

Did you and/or they sign anything when you took the dog, changing ownership?

Which one of you has the dog licence? Have the microchip details been changed into your name?

I would have a good chat with them, maybe they've realised that they have made a huge mistake, and its not as easy as they thought, moving a family member on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

muddypaws wrote: »
    Have they realised that its not the dog that the son is allergic to? I don't see how that is possible in 3 days though.

Did you and/or they sign anything when you took the dog, changing ownership?

Which one of you has the dog licence? Have the microchip details been changed into your name?

I would have a good chat with them, maybe they've realised that they have made a huge mistake, and its not as easy as they thought, moving a family member on.

Yes I signed the cert and I have Fido cert. Not sent in change of ownership yet as I got the dog on Friday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It depends on whether you consider it a moral issue, or a legal one.
    Morally, have the circumstances and reasons for the surrender changed? Not sure how this could be the case as it was an allergy. Of course, many dogs are surrendered due to a family member being allergic, and whilst some are entirely genuine, it is an excuse that makes rescuers think "yeah. Sure."
    Legally, once the dog has been willingly handed over by the owner, and willingly received by the new owner/rescue, there is no legal comeback for the original owner. This legal status bears no relation to any paperwork pertaining to the dog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

It's a very strange one alright. Did you ask the question why they've decided to take the dog back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

pilly wrote: »
    It's a very strange one alright. Did you ask the question why they've decided to take the dog back?

Yes. Kids crying for the dog back all weekend....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I'd wonder if the child is allergic at alll or if it waa an excuse. If genuine the kids would have to get over it. I'd worry that another few wks would pass and they'd give him to someone else - God knows who.
    Just a note. I'm a member of a dog rescue organisation and once a dog is signed over there's no way he'd be returned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Ann22 wrote: »
    I'd wonder if the child is allergic at alll or if it waa an excuse. If genuine the kids would have to get over it. I'd worry that another few wks would pass and they'd give him to someone else - God knows who.
    Just a note. I'm a member of a dog rescue organisation and once a dog is signed over there's no way he'd be returned.

This exactly. If allergy was the genuine issue it will not just "go away". Chances are it was never the real reason, but there is no guarantee that the dog will go back to you if the family change their minds. I would refuse, at least for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shel64

Are they friends of yours? how did you know about the dog?and how did they get your phone number? sorry to ask so many questions but to give an opinion I need to know more, if its a friend and you know the children then you would be able to get the dog if it didn't work out again, if its a rescue dog then get more info from the rescue centre and why they gave your number and not contact you themselves, did you pay for the dog? personally I would give it back if it came from a friend or acquaintance, but ask that they return it if it dosn't work out, a rescur dog I would wait a while and let the rescue centre sort out the best option for the dog, really if there was a problem, allergy or not being able to cope with the dog that won't go away even if the kids are crying over the dog and mum feels guilty, hold on for now I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I wouldn't do it. If the child's really allergic to the dog then they would not be asking for it back so soon. If the child's not really allergic to the dog then they were surely using the dog to emotionally abuse the child (since you won't do what we say we're going to give your dog away), especially given that after just a few days they want it back (i.e. the child gave in and promised to do, or did, whatever the thing was). Since their tactic worked, there is no reason why they won't resort to it again. Dogs are not FOR that. Dogs (and cats) are for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

223vmax wrote:
    They got the dog and they found out their son was allergic to her.... I took their dog and now 3 days later I get a phone call and they want the dog back....

I think its clear that it wasn't the kid that was allergic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I think its clear that it wasn't the kid that was allergic...

One of the previous owners of my dog was "allergic" too. Translation: "the dog is too much hassle and I can't be arsed".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I get the question but why not ?
    Do you think they will give the dog a good home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I would be reluctant to return it. It sounds as if they gave the dog away and then when the kid kicked off, they decided they'd better take it back. I wouldn't want the dog going back to an environment where a tantrum can dictate whether or not a family dog stays. What happens if the kid gets bored of it? Will another allergy manifest? Then again, if the child is heartbroken... Eugh, not easy OP :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Wasn't there a thread like this a few years ago? Older kid wasn't looking after "his" dog, mammy rehomed it and then wanted it back because the kid was crying for it.

Where did they get the dog from - assuming they didn't get it from a good breeder as the breeder would have taken it back and would they not have clause/contract if it was a rescue that it goes back to them? I'm allergic to cat hair btw and dog dander btw- I never dreamt of giving my cat or my 2 dogs away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Tigger wrote: »
    I get the question but why not ?
    Do you think they will give the dog a good home

To me why not would be because to give away the dog should not have been a snap decision and should have been based and intransmutable criteria. The fact that things have changed so quickly means (to me) that they don't see the dog as for life and therefore (imo) shouldn't have a dog.

Keep the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Nope , under no circumstance give the dog back OP , anybody prepared to get rid of a pet for any reason (Other then somthing extream like having to emigrate , being evicted or dying) is not fit to have one .

keep the dog OP , let the original owner swing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Fian

Give the dog back.

People on this thread pronouncing conclusions about the character of the people who handed over the dog, with no direct knowledge of the situation, need to take a good look at themselves.

You have had it three days, I assume it was with the previous family significantly longer and that they will have formed a much deeper relationship with it, and the dog with them.

Presumably you are not a child, and you don't mention children of your own. Their children are crying for the dog to be returned.

Have a heart.

Fian wrote: »
    Give the dog back.

People on this thread pronouncing conclusions about the character of the people who handed over the dog, with no direct knowledge of the situation, need to take a good look at themselves.

You have had it three days, I assume it was with the previous family significantly longer and that they will have formed a much deeper relationship with it, and the dog with them.

Presumably you are not a child, and you don't mention children of your own. Their children are crying for the dog to be returned.

Have a heart.

Why would the children be crying if the allergy story is true ?

If the allergies were real and so bad the dog had to go , well then its just bad parenting to bring the dog back just because the child is upset

I volunteer re-homing cats and we see this so many times with people get a pet don't like it scratching furniture or don't like cleaning its tray , add walking and grooming for dogs , blame allergies dump it back then a few weeks later there back on saying the kids really miss the cat or whatever and want it back.

I have no issue telling thees type of people to P1ss off , you cant treat animals like that they are not things , there not disposable and if you are the sort of person can give a pet away well then you don't deserve it back.

Like i said tones of sympaty for people who are evicted and have to give pets to us or have to emigrate or move back home for whatever reason anything else your just not fit to have a pet

Give the dog back.

Have a heart.

The dog is neither a toy nor a commodity. Children crying over it is not a sufficient reason to hand it back where clearly decisions on allowing the dog to stay or go are based on whims.

No problem with someone who doesn't get a dog for reasons XY or Z.

No problem with someone who gets a dog and then re-homes it because of reasons XY or Z.

Person who gets a dog then rehomes it because of reasons XY or Z then decides they want it back because the child is crying and reasons XY or Z, which were in fact, a permanent state of affairs (allergy) now suddenly are non existent..... Problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would be wary of giving the dog back. If the child is so allergic that the parents felt it necessary to give the dog away then that shouldn't have changed over the space of three days. The child being upset does not change the fact that the parents felt it best to give the dog away.

To be honest when I read you post it made me wonder do the parents want the dog back so they can sell it on and make some money. Again that probably depends on the breed of the dog etc but is a thought.

If you do give the dog back, you don't know if they will change their mind again in a few days and get rid of the dog again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

I have no issue telling thees type of people to P1ss off

Do This ^^

People on this thread pronouncing conclusions about the character of the people who handed over the dog, with no direct knowledge of the situation
    Have a heart.

Why don't you enlighten us all on the details then since you know them?... You DO know the details don't you? I mean you're not just pronouncing conclusions about the characters of other posters who've replied are you??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Miaireland wrote: »
    To be honest when I read you post it made me wonder do the parents want the dog back so they can sell it on and make some money. Again that probably depends on the breed of the dog etc but is a thought.
    This is what I thought aswell. They might have realised that they could have sold it rather than gave it away for nothing. As Miaireland said it would depend on the breed.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just quiz them about the change of heart and the severity of the allergies, maybe the kid's allergies aren't particularly severe. People make mistakes, if they seem genuine about why they changed their mind just give them back the dog if you think they're telling porkies or feel they weren't looking after the animal properly then don't give it back.

tk123 wrote: »
    Why don't you enlighten us all on the details then since you know them?... You DO know the details don't you? I mean you're not just pronouncing conclusions about the characters of other posters who've replied are you??

O.o

I didn't make any suggestion that I am familiar with the details, I pointed out that none of us (bar the OP presumably) are. I was explicit in my previous post that i was making certain assumptions, such as that the dog has presumably been with the previous family for a decent period and more than three days. That is a reasonable and probable thing to assume.

I don't pronounce any conclusions on the characters of other posters, I do ask them to look at themselves and their willingness to pronounce on the family who have had a change of heart based on a few lines of description and a pile of assumptions. I am pronouncing on their assumptions not their characters.

There are multiple reasons people might have decided they needed to rehome a pet and then have a change of heart. Neither I nor anyone else on this thread are in a position to be so dogmatic about the original family being unfit to mind the dog or uncaring of it.

It is clear that the children, who I imagine had no real say in the decision to rehome the dog, do love it and are crying for it back. That is not a bad indicator that the dog will be well loved and cared for.

Assuming they have had the dog for a decent while I would expect that the dog has bonded with them too and that relationship will not have been displaced by three days with the OP.

There is nothing in the OPs account and he/she makes no suggestion or raises any concerns whatsoever that the dog has been mistreated.

Perhaps a child does have an allergy, perhaps a mild one. Perhaps the original owners just used that an an excuse to make themselves look better when they decided to rehome the dog. Either way they have clearly had a change of heart and realised they can't bear to part with the dog despite the inconvenience, whether that is inconvenience from a genuine allergy or just from the realities of caring for a dog. This after three days apart from the dog.

I repeat - and this is addressed to the OP not the other posters in this thread - Unless you have reason to believe that the dog would be mistreated if returned have a heart and give the kids their dog back and the dog his kids back.

O.o Perhaps a child does have an allergy, perhaps a mild one. Perhaps the original owners just used that an an excuse to make themselves look better when they decided to rehome the dog. Either way they have clearly had a change of heart and realised they can't bear to part with the dog despite the inconvenience, whether that is inconvenience from a genuine allergy or just from the realities of caring for a dog. This after three days apart from the dog.

I repeat - and this is addressed to the OP not the other posters in this thread - Unless you have reason to believe that the dog would be mistreated if returned have a heart and give the kids their dog back.

The dog has already been mistreated by being given away , an "alergie" issue doesnt disappear in 3 days or become more or less sever ... if it was real and bad enough that they felt they had to give the dog away then nothing will have changed in 3 days , so why would the OP assume they wont abandon the dog or give it away again ... if the alergies are a lie or an excuse well then tbh there just bad people and don't deserve the dog back

Being moved around allot can cause allot stress to animals , dogs form bonds with humans very quickly and become depressed or unsettled when they are just given away and those bonds are broken , Cats are very territorial and when they ar given away they can become very stressed out by the change in their environment and routine , pets aren't play things they are living beings they cant just be passed from billy to jack on a whim every few days weeks months etc. even with cats and kittens we rescue we try to keep it to a minimum of 1 foster home before rehoming permanently to minimsie the stress on them.

OP i promise you , whatever the reason thees people have for giving up this dog , it will not , categorically will not have changed in the space of 3 days , do not give it back , its about whats best for the dog not the people who cant decide weather they want a play thing or not.

^ +1 to this. Don't give the dog back and teach the kids a lesson that their idiot parents haven't grasped - You can't give an animal away on a whim then expect to take a it back 3 days later. It's not a dvd

tk123 wrote: »
    ^ +1 to this. Don't give the dog back and teach the kids a lesson that their idiot parents haven't grasped - You can't give an animal away on a whim then expect to take a it back 3 days later. It's not a dvd

Now I am tempted to pronounce on the character of certain posters in this thread, but I will resist the temptation to do so.

• Advertisement

Now I am tempted to pronounce on the character of certain posters in this thread, but I will resist the temptation to do so.

to be honest if the kids are upset , that is sad and its just as unfair on them as it is on the dog , but their parents made that decision , and from experience if someone can treat an animal like this one they will do it again and that's not fair on the dog or the kids . The only people at fault here are the adults , the dog and the kids are most likely blameless.

But that dons't change the situation and the OP should not give the Dog back , if it was a cat in our care it would not be given back , and to be honest we blacklist those that do and they can never adopt from us again if they return a cat for any non exceptional reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Give the dog back.

Have a heart.

This, agree entirely and I'd be a dog lover. A few days is nothing and it's quite likely that the family realise they made a bad mistake. OP should just check though and make it clear that if circumstances change in a matter of a few weeks, they'd be happy to take it again. Do the decent thing.

to be honest if the kids are upset , that is sad and its just as unfair on them as it is on the dog , but their parents made that decision , and from experience if someone can treat an animal like this one they will do it again and that's not fair on the dog or the kids . The only people at fault here are the adults , the dog and the kids are most likely blameless.

But that dons't change the situation and the OP should not give the Dog back , if it was a cat in our care it would not be given back , and to be honest we blacklist those that do and they can never adopt from us again if they return a cat for any non exceptional reason.

Well I agree with the first part of that, fair enough and i am glad you also feel that way.

I would thank your post instead of quoting it except that I guess it is clear enough already that I don't agree with you that their making a mistake and seeking to rehome the pet, then changing their mind three days later means they will subsequently mistreat the dog or seek to rehome it a second time.

People make mistakes and that does not automatically make them bad people.

Well I agree with the first part of that, fair enough and i am glad you also feel that way.

I would thank your post instead of quoting it except that I guess it is clear enough already that I don't agree with you that their making a mistake and seeking to rehome the pet, then changing their mind three days later means they will subsequently mistreat the dog or seek to rehome it a second time.

People make mistakes and that does not automatically make them bad people.

I no you disagee with me here fian and thats ok.

But like i said ive seen this too may time the kids want a pet the parents cave , then don't want the work or the effort involved in looking after the animal , they give it back ... then the kids get upset and the parents cant listen to them so look for the pet back and the circle repeats might take a few weeks or months but 99 times out of 100 if we gave an animal back we invariably got it back again down the road , its why we stopped giving animals back.

If you truly love your animals it would have to be a very difficult situation and a very tough decision to give them up ... not the kind of thing you row back on in 3 days , that's just ridiculous. I know for hell or highwater i wouldnt give my cats back an ive been in difficult situations with renting and that but have lways found away , giving them up would have to be the ultimate last of last resorts and by the time you hit that point , you issue should not be sorted in 3 days.

The right thing to do , though often in the situation the hard thing to do is refuse to return the animal and just end the cycle there , because its unfair on the cat or dog but like i said in my previous post also very very unfair on the kids too.

i wouldnt give my cats back an ive been in difficult situations with renting and that but have lways found away , giving them up would have to be the ultimate last of last resorts and by the time you hit that point , you issue should not be sorted in 3 days.

Yeah and I could agree with your sentiment, but not everyone is a 'saint'. People are imperfect, doesn't mean they don't deserve the benefits that pets bring though.

Yeah and I could agree with your sentiment, but not everyone is a 'saint'. People are imperfect, doesn't mean they don't deserve the benefits that pets bring though.

it really does ... if u can give a pet up easy once then flip in 3 days u can do it again thts not the sign of a true animal lover ... im not a saint by any strech

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

But its not about being a saint or anything else. It's about when you get a pet you make a committment to care for it for life. It would take something incredibly extreme to mean you have rehome them. The kind of extreme situation that doesn't crop up overnight and doesn't resolve over night.

I fail to see how the kids crying have changed any of the facts of the situation.

But its not about being a saint or anything else. It's about when you get a pet you make a committment to care for it for life. It would take something incredibly extreme to mean you have rehome them. The kind of extreme situation that doesn't crop up overnight and doesn't resolve over night.

I fail to see how the kids crying have changed any of the facts of the situation.

People are imperfect. Doesn't mean they shouldn't get a chance to rethink. We all make mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I agree Walter. We've had people surrendering dogs to us then contacting us a few months later looking for another one! Even people wanting to swap a collie they had for a husky!
    I'm probably bitter after years of stuff like this but I really don't care if the owner says the kids are crying. Theyll get over it. Imo it's better that way then the dog whining out the back garden for the rest of his life.
    To me, the welfare of the dog comes first absolutely. The kids wil be all out with their mates after a brief welcome and the dog will be banished to the back garden.
    Op the fact that you posted here, it shows you're giving it serious thought. To me that sounds like someone who wants to do right by the dog. If you feel an attachment and are treating him like a family member then keep him.

People are imperfect. Doesn't mean they shouldn't get a chance to rethink. We all make mistakes.

we do and somtimes youve to just suck it up and live with the consequnces of that mistake , they gave the dog away (either out of laziness or for a very spurious reaon) they shouldnt get it back. you dont automaticly deserve a do over for making a mistake and admitting it , perticulary not when theres animals involved.

if the kids are crying and they feel guilty now then good , they should maybe they might learn something from it like pets are not playthings and there not disposable ... What do they learn if the OP gives it back ?

Jaysus, you're all very hard. If the OP had the dog for six months, I could see there maybe being an issue.

But six days! That's no big deal. Just give it back, check why and advise if same problems arise, to call again. Done & dusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Jaysus, you're all very hard. If the OP had the dog for six months, I could see there maybe being an issue.

But six days! That's no big deal. Just give it back, check why and advise if same problems arise, to call again. Done & dusted.
    Most posters where born artificially at the age of 20 so they can't remember ever being a child :D

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

And what happens if the family change their mind again?

You said "if the same problem arises to call again?" This is EXACTLY why everyone is saying don't give the dog back. If they do get the dog back, the dog is theirs for life! They cant just pick and choose when they want to have a dog and pawn it off on their friend when they get bored of it again! The family need to make the decision now if they 100% want the dog or not. There is no option of the "same problems arise". They need to commit to the dog or they need to move on!

A kid crying should not be the final decision on whether you should get a dog or not! It wasn't suitable the first time.....it wont be suitable the second time.

O.o

I didn't make any suggestion that I am familiar with the details, I pointed out that none of us (bar the OP presumably) are. I was explicit in my previous post that i was making certain assumptions, such as that the dog has presumably been with the previous family for a decent period and more than three days. That is a reasonable and probable thing to assume.

I don't pronounce any conclusions on the characters of other posters, I do ask them to look at themselves and their willingness to pronounce on the family who have had a change of heart based on a few lines of description and a pile of assumptions. I am pronouncing on their assumptions not their characters.

There are multiple reasons people might have decided they needed to rehome a pet and then have a change of heart. Neither I nor anyone else on this thread are in a position to be so dogmatic about the original family being unfit to mind the dog or uncaring of it.

It is clear that the children, who I imagine had no real say in the decision to rehome the dog, do love it and are crying for it back. That is not a bad indicator that the dog will be well loved and cared for.

Assuming they have had the dog for a decent while I would expect that the dog has bonded with them too and that relationship will not have been displaced by three days with the OP.

There is nothing in the OPs account and he/she makes no suggestion or raises any concerns whatsoever that the dog has been mistreated.

Perhaps a child does have an allergy, perhaps a mild one. Perhaps the original owners just used that an an excuse to make themselves look better when they decided to rehome the dog. Either way they have clearly had a change of heart and realised they can't bear to part with the dog despite the inconvenience, whether that is inconvenience from a genuine allergy or just from the realities of caring for a dog. This after three days apart from the dog.

I repeat - and this is addressed to the OP not the other posters in this thread - Unless you have reason to believe that the dog would be mistreated if returned have a heart and give the kids their dog back and the dog his kids back.

:pac:

We are talking about a number of days. Less than a holiday. The dog is not going to be traumatised by being returned to its owners even if it is subsequently re-homed again. There is no reason to think that the dogs welfare is threatened by the owners.

We had our two dogs minded while we went abroad on summer holidays for a few weeks this summer. Should the people who minded them for us have refused to return them on the basis that it would be unfair on the dogs for us to take them back? Because the truth is we are going to be pretty recidivist about going on holidays so inevitably we are going to repeat inflicting the "trauma" of leaving them with someone else, every year for the rest of the dogs lives.

There is absolutely no reason for anyone to assume that this dog has been or will be mistreated in any way. The OP has not hinted or suggested any mistreatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the OP said
    They got the dog and they found out their son was allergic to her

no expert on allergies but i dont think they take a long time to present. the previous owner probably didn't have it for very long either. Perhaps the OP could clarify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I think it's terrible for the kids, but it would be even worse for them to grow up thinking you can get an animal and then dump it without consequences.

It's terrible parenting, and while the OP isn't responsible for the parenting, he is now responsible for the dog and should take that responsibility carefully, and shouldn't be complicit in teaching children that animals are objects that can be treated like that.

What exactly are the "benefits that pets bring" if not principally lessons in taking responsibility for other living creatures?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shel64

To be honest all we can do is presume, the lady that now has the dog also has more infomation and so far hasn't given us any to go on, I asked for more info but so far nothing, nobody phones a complete stranger to ask them to have their dog, so there must be some connection somewhere and therefore some history to share,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Could be as simple as being given bad advice. Lots of people will tell you if a child has asthma or allergies, even unaffected by the dog, that the dog should be got rid of. Even doctors. I get told by strangers that I shouldn't have dogs with asthma, despite dogs not setting off my asthma.

I don't see any problem with rehoming a dog if you or your child actually had asthma or bad allergies set off by the dog- because asthma and some allergies can kill, it's miserable for the child to have to deal with, and they can get permanent lung damage. If you've a child or other family member that has bad allergies or asthma and you keep the triggers in the house, that's wholly irresponsible. So if someone mistakenly tells you that the dog will make your child's asthma or allergies worse and then you find out that's not the case... Not necessarily saying this is the case, we don't have enough information to go on.

For example: "However, for those who have eczema, hay fever or asthma, removing pets is the best advice, even if there is no obvious allergy to them at present."

Advertisement