Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What annoys you about other runners and running in general?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

"and I didn't even do any training"

People who run a race on minimal training and seem to want extra credit for their times, since they didn't even train. Imagine what they could do if they trained! But alas, they just don't have the time to do so (apparently). Not referring to experienced runners who lament their lack of (or poor) training after a race.

These people don't seem to realise that training IS the hard part.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

"and I didn't even do any training"

People who run a race on minimal training and seem to want extra credit for their times, since they didn't even train. Imagine what they could do if they trained! But alas, they just don't have the time to do so (apparently). Not referring to experienced runners who lament their lack of (or poor) training after a race.

These people don't seem to realise that training IS the hard part.

Must be a hard pill to swallow when they're faster than you despite all your fancy dan training

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

It can be!

Though this was in relation to a colleague (we work the same hours and play on the same football team, giving lie to his "no time for training" excuse). We both ran a HM; I finished up in 1:38, him in 1:42. Yet apparently I should have been disappointed in my time because I'd put some training in, and he "ran me close" even though he did "nothing".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Four minutes isn't 'running someone close'. Tell him that. It's 20 seconds per mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

He sounds awful yo be fair, maybe he's just winding you up, that I could get on board with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

It can be!

Though this was in relation to a colleague (we work the same hours.
    diaretic in his coffee..if dat dosent work piss in his shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

In phoenix park today. Amount of people running on the road and cars couldn't get by them.

Path way was perfectly clear. I know it's a while since I ran in the park but it was never this bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Christmas Eve runners can fook right off...

Come to think of it, so can boardsies posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

walshb wrote: »

Poster of the year me hole......

Happy Christmas walshb.

In farirnese tang1, you might just have a point. Haven't gotten out for a single run this year and I'm on moaning about runners...

Fook it... I'll write this year off and make a real push for poster of the year 2017. Might even post a running log!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

In farirnese tang1, you might just have a point. Haven't gotten out for a single run this year and I'm on moaning about runners...

Fook it... I'll write this year off and make a real push for poster of the year 2017. Might even post a running log!

Give the public what they want!!

Loads out today. Wasn't something for me, maybe on 26th

Loads out today. Wasn't something for me, maybe on 26th

Stephen's day runners can fook right off!👍

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Stephen's day runners can fook right off!ðŸ‘

Don't tell anyone but I plan on going out in the morning. Sorry in advance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

In phoenix park today. Amount of people running on the road and cars couldn't get by them.

Drivers must have been pretty ****.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Drivers must have been pretty ****.

Roads too narrow at the bends especially with traffic coming the other way. Acres road is hard to pass people on when traffic both ways also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Roads too narrow at the bends especially with traffic coming the other way. Acres road is hard to pass people on when traffic both ways also.

There's either path or trail almost everywhere in the park, being on the road shouldn't be an issue

kit3 wrote: »
    There's either path or trail almost everywhere in the park, being on the road shouldn't be an issue

I agree, used to run there loads and loved the trials. The paths were clear but roads busy as families going to see the deer.

There is a driver mindset which reckons that nothing should halt their uninterrupted progress unless it some other form of motorised vehicle. The concept of waiting patiently behind the 'obstruction' (walkers/runner/cyclists) until it is safe to overtake is foreign to this cohort.

Having said that, I agree, no need to be on the road in the PP, for the most part. If it is unavoidable, a running group should be going single-file - something I notice cyclists seem loath to do. Not a criticism or jibe, just an observation. What's going on there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

The Phoenix park is the perfect example of all that is wrong with transport in Ireland.

Pedestrians ignore the lovely walking paths and trails, preferring to use the cycle paths, cyclists don't use them as they're awful, preferring the nice roads. And motorists use the park as a short cut, ignoring all recreational users of it.

It's quite wonderful when you think about it.

• Advertisement

Djoucer wrote: »
    The Phoenix park is the perfect example of all that is wrong with transport in Ireland.

Pedestrians ignore the lovely walking paths and trails, preferring to use the cycle paths, cyclists don't use them as they're awful, preferring the nice roads. And motorists use the park as a short cut, ignoring all recreational users of it.

It's quite wonderful when you think about it.

Calling it a transport problem misses the point. It's the Irish mindset. "Ah sure, they're only rules. What harm?" See: crossing roads, smoking 'outside' pubs, 'obeying' park bye-laws, parking on paths, parking on cycle-lanes, driving in cycle-lanes. Driving per se, in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

davedanon wrote: »
    Calling it a transport problem misses the point. It's the Irish mindset. "Ah sure, they're only rules. What harm?" See: crossing roads, smoking 'outside' pubs, 'obeying' park bye-laws, parking on paths, parking on cycle-lanes, driving in cycle-lanes. Driving per se, in fact.

Agree 100%. I didn't call it a transport problem rather perfect example of the transport/above.

Djoucer wrote: »
    Agree 100%. I didn't call it a transport problem rather perfect example of the transport/above.

We are all very blind sometimes. While the park was busy with kids on Xmas eve, we still had people parking dangerously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

davedanon wrote: »
    There is a driver mindset which reckons that nothing should halt their uninterrupted progress unless it some other form of motorised vehicle. The concept of waiting patiently behind the 'obstruction' (walkers/runner/cyclists) until it is safe to overtake is foreign to this cohort.

Having said that, I agree, no need to be on the road in the PP, for the most part. If it is unavoidable, a running group should be going single-file - something I notice cyclists seem loath to do. Not a criticism or jibe, just an observation. What's going on there?

Agree completely. Only problem I see is the actual location of the cycling & walking paths on the main road. If you park on the main road & have a buggy it's fairly difficult to get it under the bars & across the grass to the walking path - if they were reversed it would make more sense

kit3 wrote: »
    Agree completely. Only problem I see is the actual location of the cycling & walking paths on the main road. If you park on the main road & have a buggy it's fairly difficult to get it under the bars & across the grass to the walking path - if they were reversed it would make more sense

Yeah it was a strange one whoever designed it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Yeah it was a strange one whoever designed it

Someone who sits behind a desk and doesn't run, walk or cycle :rolleyes: I emailed them last year when the footpaths were constantly under water and everyone was on the cycle lanes as a result. They said they were holding a big meeting to discuss changes and improvements. I see they've painted the bikes on the cycle paths again which presumably means they're doing nothing. Such a shame for all park users.

Someone who sits behind a desk and doesn't run, walk or cycle :rolleyes: I emailed them last year when the footpaths were constantly under water and everyone was on the cycle lanes as a result. They said they were holding a big meeting to discuss changes and improvements. I see they've painted the bikes on the cycle paths again which presumably means they're doing nothing. Such a shame for all park users.

In fairness that probably took a good few meetings to discuss it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I'm annoyed that I'll. off all week and was looking forward to lots of runs....
    got a fecking bad cold yesterday....ahhhhhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Switching the cycle lane with the footpath doesn't make much sense, you're left with pedestrians closer to the road and bordered by the cycle lane on the other side, they'll have to cross the cycle lane sooner or later. A bit of common sense is required in the park, if you want to go time trialling there just use the road.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Switching the cycle lane with the footpath doesn't make much sense, you're left with pedestrians closer to the road and bordered by the cycle lane on the other side, they'll have to cross the cycle lane sooner or later. A bit of common sense is required in the park, if you want to go time trialling there just use the road.

Time trialling until someone opens the car door on Chesterfield Ave.

Then again a park is not a place for time trialling.

Advertisement