Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What annoys you about other runners and running in general?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Time trialling until someone opens the car door on Chesterfield Ave.

Then again a park is not a place for time trialling.

2 million parkrunners would disagree :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Time trialling until someone opens the car door on Chesterfield Ave.

Then again a park is not a place for time trialling.

Ban cars from the park. It's no place for cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Djoucer wrote: »
    Ban cars from the park. It's no place for cars.

I would agree if we had the public transport to support it. Still time trialling can't happen though due to insurance reasons and also a park is a place for people to relax and not worry about people flying around.

2 million parkrunners would disagree :pac:

There is not two million people in Dublin:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Switching the cycle lane with the footpath doesn't make much sense, you're left with pedestrians closer to the road and bordered by the cycle lane on the other side, they'll have to cross the cycle lane sooner or later. A bit of common sense is required in the park, if you want to go time trialling there just use the road.

It might mean that the cycle tracks are clear of pedestrians though

• Advertisement

kit3 wrote: »

Be better if the cycle lanes took the park nature in, instead of the boring route they are on. Do it like in other countries parks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

When I say time trialling I didn't think it would be picked up in the most literal form, I simply mean the off road cycle lane is not the place for going for a hard and fast ride.
    kit3 wrote: »

It still would not work though, you'll still have kids, adults and animals alike running around enjoying the park having to cross the cycle path. Unless a new no walking on the grass and don't think about enjoying this massive open space bylaw was enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

People simply need to use cop on. Roads are not for running unless you're an idiot. Roads for cars and bikes. Paths for walking and running in some instances. FFS, it's quite a big area. Clowns running on roads causing a nuisance and a danger need addressing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Ban everyone from the park, and lock the gates.

Job done.

davedanon wrote: »

Job done.

Don't say that loudly as the council might think it's a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

There is a certain municipal approach that thinks like this. Someone injured in the playground? Better close the playground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's under the remit of the OPW.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's under the remit of the OPW.

Even worst the government has the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Be better if the cycle lanes took the park nature in, instead of the boring route they are on. Do it like in other countries parks.

There are two types of cyclists in the PP, one is the commuter cyclist who wants to get from A to B reasonably quickly and safely (same as motorist commuters), the other are the weekend tourists who are there to enjoy the beauty of the park. Neither of these are really catered for. I'd love if the OPW closed Chesterfield Avenue to traffic permanently and built lovely walking trails/paths, running trails/paths and left the main road for the cyclists. Cars could be diverted around the North Road or better still, banned altogether :).

There are two types of cyclists in the PP, one is the commuter cyclist who wants to get from A to B reasonably quickly and safely (same as motorist commuters), the other are the weekend tourists who are there to enjoy the beauty of the park. Neither of these are really catered for. I'd love if the OPW closed Chesterfield Avenue to traffic permanently and built lovely walking trails/paths, running trails/paths and left the main road for the cyclists. Cars could be diverted around the North Road or better still, banned altogether :).

Yep it be great if we had the transport network to support it. Sadly it would be a massive hit on the zoo

I see Run Killarney has "I run to burn off the crazy" as their motto/message this year.

Utterly moronic mottos and messages, and the need to adopt them in every second race, that annoys me. You can almost hear the "tee hee, it's so cutesy".

Similarly, moronic messages on signs that are supposed to be "inspirational" along the route annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I see Run Killarney has "I run to burn off the crazy" as their motto/message this year.

Utterly moronic mottos and messages, and the need to adopt them in every second race, that annoys me. You can almost hear the "tee hee, it's so cutesy".

Similarly, moronic messages on signs that are supposed to be "inspirational" along the route annoy me.

Sounds like somebody poured out a bowl of cereal this morning only to find out they were out of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Must agree with you on this. It's why x country bhaa and I suspect IMRA is so refreshing, the absenice of bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

davedanon wrote: »

Job done.

There was an episode of 'Yes, Minister' in which a hospital was found to have no patients. It won awards, e.g. for hygiene etc, and so they didn't want any patients to adversely impact upon the standards they'd achieved.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Some little trog trying to nick my phone out of my very own hand*!

I dunno what annoyed me more...the audacity of him trying to take something out of my own hand, or the cheek of him after seeing my athletic physique and natural speed he thought I wouldn't catch him when he ran off with it! :mad: :P

* I forgot my phone was too big for the back pocket in me shorts so had to carry it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Discarded gel packets along a route. Ran a half on Saturday in a gorgeous part of the country, and the roads were littered with discarded gel packets. The bottles aren't as bad, they're bigger and easier for the clean up crew to get afterwards, but if you have a gel out on a run, you've carried it there in a pocket or belt, so when its empty, just put it back where it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

muddypaws wrote: »
    Discarded gel packets along a route. Ran a half on Saturday in a gorgeous part of the country, and the roads were littered with discarded gel packets. The bottles aren't as bad, they're bigger and easier for the clean up crew to get afterwards, but if you have a gel out on a run, you've carried it there in a pocket or belt, so when its empty, just put it back where it was.

Yup. It's that time of year where the whole marathon route is littered with gel wrappers from folks practicing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

muddypaws wrote: »

It seems people are incapable of having cop on. Race organisers need to force home the message and start handing out DQ's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Live in Dublin suburbia so alot of runs are on paths and the following irritates me.

1. People who don't look up when walking....,. 99.99% of collisions will happen when one was not looking where they were going, but of course the runner will get the blame because they were running while the other person was just walking. They always meander too to make it even harder to avoid them.

2. people walking double file in the opposite direction to you on the path and not having the cop on to go single file to let you past., And then having this face of don't crash into me when you get right up to them. Where the f''k can I go? Jump onto the road where cars are driving by are into a wall, seriously.

3. Cars not knowing the rules of the road.... When you drive from a secondary road onto a main road you wait for pedestrians and runners who are crossing. Had a guy beeping at me last week who wanted to drive through a stop sign on to the main road but could not as I was running across at the junction. I get really irritated over this and would have punched the f@@ker if he got out of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

One thing that gets to me sometimes (and its probably more so me being cranky or on edge in a race) is lack of directions from a race stewards/marshals.

I often find myself in a race away from the leading pack and in front of the mass fun runners and I've notices on occasion approaching junctions in the road race to find the steward taking pictures and applauding "well done", "keep going" and the opposite a steward with hands in the pockets and looking blankly. Now the encouragement is great an all but their primary jobs are to warn/halt traffic and direct participants what road to take. I feel bad saying it because I know these people are volunteers often standing in the rain and no event would be possible to hold without them but I don't need clapping I need clear timely indication of where I am suppose to turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

That they are all quicker than me.... effin show-offs!! I'll show them... some day... at the cakes counter. Revenge will be delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭slingerz

what annoys me is the really fast people and people who make it look easy. i am really slow and find it exceptionally difficult!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

slingerz wrote: »
    what annoys me is the really fast people and people who make it look easy. i am really slow and find it exceptionally difficult!!!

It never gets easier - you just get faster

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hard work is what makes it 'look' easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭slingerz

RayCun wrote: »
    It never gets easier - you just get faster

i'm still waiting for that get faster bit!!

Advertisement