Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What annoys you about other runners and running in general?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

But did you really run it if it’s not on Facebook? Selfies while running are just daft.

I don't post to FB, but there is a part of me that feels I didn't do a run if the watch failed to record properly for whatever reason. It's an OCD thing I think. I like to know every run is recorded for posterity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Strange behaviour all right. In relation to 'elites' though I find that the true elite athletes nearly always give a nod, and even in the case of Rob Heffernan an encouraging few words as he passed me on one of his training runs. Sonia O'Sullivan is another who has given me a nod, which is a bit like a Masserati flashing the headlights in recognition of a Robin Reliant! Lots of others including Cork City marathon winners. Nothing to prove, I suppose.

There's lots of really good runners in my area, but there's one that's a serious runner and he ALWAYS salutes! Usually with an index finger in the air as he passes you. Black hair, stubble and shades (I googled him) Mick Clohessy! Don't know him from Adam, but I see him (what I'd call sprinting, what he'd call casual running) on the beach and never fails to say or signal hello. I can't help but like him for that alone, lovely gesture.

Like you say. Nothing to prove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

quickbeam wrote: »
    I don't post to FB, but there is a part of me that feels I didn't do a run if the watch failed to record properly for whatever reason. It's an OCD thing I think. I like to know every run is recorded for posterity.

I want every run recorded because it's important to me to know how many miles I've done that week, month and year. Every mile has significance, whether it's the slowest of recovery jogs or a pb in the Raheny Road Relays. If the watch fails to record for whatever reason, I add the run manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

davedanon wrote: »
    "Originally Posted by yaboya1 View Post
    It has never suited me to join a club since the day I took up running. If that changes I probably will join one, but I don't feel I owe any club my money. I pay to enter their races and am entitled to my place in the field as much as any club runner.

Anyway, I hate runners who pass by in the opposite direction and blatantly ignore you when you've gone out of your way to greet them with a nod, wave or hello. They've definitely noticed, but refuse to acknowledge it and deliberately blank you."

Funny, I remember having this discussion before, and getting savaged for posting that saying hello to other runners "was more of a club thing".

I was running on the canal the other day and a runner (no idea if in a club) looked left, right, into the ditch, into the canal, everywhere possible without looking at me. I don’t take it personally, and although it seems to me it would have been so much easier for the poor fecker to just smile and say hello, you never know what’s going on with people. I waved anyway as a fellow runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bilbot79

People that bounce too much when they run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

bilbot79 wrote: »

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

bilbot79 wrote: »

Tend to think they look majestic with that sort of stride :D

Bekele-and-geb.jpg?w=260&ssl=1

Murph_D wrote: »
    I was running on the canal the other day and a runner (no idea if in a club) looked left, right, into the ditch, into the canal, everywhere possible without looking at me. I don’t take it personally, and although it seems to me it would have been so much easier for the poor fecker to just smile and say hello, you never know what’s going on with people. I waved anyway as a fellow runner.

Yeah, I don't take offence, unless I'm in a mean humour (hardly ever, I swear!). I usually rationalise it somehow - over dressed? probably a boxer, feels no kinship just because we're both running. And so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

On a long run last night on a tarmac coastal path about a metre wide. I slowly closed in on a group of 10 ladies doing some sort of a bootcamp along my route. The instructor brought them to a halt and then decided to stand and stretch and chat amongst each other as I approached. I coughed loudly, nothing. I shouted "excuse me" but at that stage I had also slow to walking pace as negotiate around them, no apology, nothing. Fairplay to them for getting out and getting fit but it was very annoying.

On a long run last night on a tarmac coastal path about a metre wide. I slowly closed in on a group of 10 ladies doing some sort of a bootcamp along my route. The instructor brought them to a halt and then decided to stand and stretch and chat amongst each other as I approached. I coughed loudly, nothing. I shouted "excuse me" but at that stage I had also slow to walking pace as negotiate around them, no apology, nothing. Fairplay to them for getting out and getting fit but it was very annoying.

I remember running down towards Rovers stadium one day and encountering a large group of ladies out fit-walking. It was like being in a canoe and approaching an armada of warships. They were utterly oblivious to my presence, and I just had to go around as they nattered away. I could have ploughed through them I suppose, but I would have bounced off most of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

The Irish weather!
    This day last week I went for a run at lunchtime. It rained the whole way, I got soaked to the skin & had to stand in a hot shower for 15 minutes to warm up.

I'm just back from a run and it was so hot I was soaked with sweat. I stood in the shower for 15 minutes trying to cool down.

My poor carcass doesn't know what to be doing with itself...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Runners who run with their arms tight by their sides and straight down with no movement upwards in motion. Is this deliberate or just their gait? Looks fooking ridiculous, and can't be allowing them to go as fast....

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

walshb wrote: »
    Runners who run with their arms tight by their sides and straight down with no movement upwards in motion. Is this deliberate or just their gait? Looks fooking ridiculous, and can't be allowing them to go as fast....

that one always baffles me. it just feels wrong not to move your arms

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Don't watch Brad Pitt in War Machine

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Don't watch Brad Pitt in War Machine

https://giphy.com/gifs/netflix-running-brad-pitt-3og0ICS02NbgAPURMs

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Beautiful...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

quickbeam wrote: »

I’m a bit like that sometimes. It irks me when the watch doesn’t stop properly after a rep and I don’t get a time. Just have to remind yourself that the only times that ultimately matter are those recorded in races.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

What really annoys me is the tools blocking the path, stuck in their phone and not watching where they are going until you are in front of them arms wide so they finally notice you and they look shocked.

Always happens around Eastpoint. They get off a bus or something and are so stuck in their phones they don't watch where they are going and you then have to avoid them yet there is no room on the footpath.

Also people crossing the Eastlink. It is frightening crossing it on a windy day and people jumping on and off the path with very busy traffic and again people not looking where they are going.

All my troubles seem East based.

I'm sure I am not the first to rant about this but the head stuck in the phone while walking somewhere or they are chatting with it in front of them is a real issue for me of late.

aquinn wrote: »
    What really annoys me is the tools blocking the path, stuck in their phone and not watching where they are going until you are in front of them arms wide so they finally notice you and they look shocked.

Always happens around Eastpoint. They get off a bus or something and are so stuck in their phones they don't watch where they are going and you then have to avoid them yet there is no room on the footpath.

Also people crossing the Eastlink. It is frightening crossing it on a windy day and people jumping on and off the path with very busy traffic and again people not looking where they are going.

All my troubles seem East based.

I'm sure I am not the first to rant about this but the head stuck in the phone while walking somewhere or they are chatting with it in front of them is a real issue for me of late.

#smartphonezombies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Shouting ‘coming through’ at the top of your voice is usually enough on the bray head cliff path.... except for last evening when a group of aulwans decided they needed all of the path, forcing me to a halt... they got ‘Jesus f@cking Christ’ Instead

• Advertisement

‘Jesus f@cking Christ’ Instead

Did he fall off the cross?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Dubs, particularly those on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

What fustrates me, is seeing regular post on facebook from people who go out and are always seem to be trying to beat the last time they ran and aiming for PB everytime they run!! and all the well dones :confused:

Baby75 wrote: »
    What fustrates me, is seeing regular post on facebook from people who go out and are always seem to be trying to beat the last time they ran and aiming for PB everytime they run!! and all the well dones :confused:

#beatyesterday :rolleyes:

Such terrible advice. I believe it’s a Garmin slogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Baby75 wrote: »

It’s extra annoying when they are people who should know better and it results in newbies getting dodgy advice . Even experienced runners getting down because some randomer on strava/Facebook/garmin labels their tempos “easy run”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Bluesquare wrote: »
    It’s extra annoying when they are people who should know better and it results in newbies getting dodgy advice . Even experienced runners getting down because some randomer on strava/Facebook/garmin labels their tempos “easy run”

Even worse when it is a experience runner friend/ wife encouraging them to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Murph_D wrote: »
    #beatyesterday :rolleyes:

Such terrible advice. I believe it’s a Garmin slogan.

And adorns my wrist!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

OOnegative wrote: »
    And adorns my wrist!!!!

That's fuppin' gross that is. Big hairy Irish arm up on ya! And me just after me lunch. The Quiche Lorraine and smoked salmon with grilled leek almost came back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Itziger wrote: »
    That's fuppin' gross that is. Big hairy Irish arm up on ya! And me just after me lunch. The Quiche Lorraine and smoked salmon with grilled leek almost came back up.

The Dutch sun has brought the hair out more!!!

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    And adorns my wrist!!!!

Jaysus, did that come in a goody bag? :pac:

Advertisement