Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What annoys you about other runners and running in general?

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Runners who insist on social media that running is the best exercise for health, fitness and weight loss and that anyone who thinks different is wrong. What a load of crap. I managed to shed almost 2 stone recently from gentle and regular walks on the beach and small changes to my diet. I saved a fortune by not joining gyms, buying running gear or signing up for marathons etc.

You dont need to have your lungs hanging out and sweat pouring from your face for exercise to be beneficial. If you like running, fine, each to their own. But runners who shove the message of "only running will help your health" all over social media are deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I'm not a runner but can i just say it annoys me that while out doing their thing at 530am in the morning in the dark, runners i see don't wear visible clothing. Please lads and ladies even an arm band would do. be safe be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I have no idea and even if i did, it wouldnt mean a thing to me. The BMI is a flawed system for measuring fitness and weight, as in well established to be flawed. Rugby players who have a lot of muscle can be out of range. Slimmer people can be healthy and still under the range. BMI was only ever meant to measure potential mortality rates in the under 30s by an American insurance company back in the 1920s.

Its unfortunate that the medical industry still holds the BMI system up on a pedestal for a marker of health all these decades later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

• Advertisement

Fantastic point. You should consider joining a debating team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Simple fact is food is what matters for weight loss.

Running would be better than walking for "fitness". But then depending on how you define fitness other sports would be better again. Then again you could define fitness as you 5k or 10k time then running would be better. But not much use if you define fitness as the ability to kayak for 2k.

Health maybe more weights or flexibility than either walking or running. Edit. Oh and sleep, nutrient intake and stress levels..

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

The old saying "you can't outrun a bad diet" is apt. Exercise is important for general well being but if you want/need to lose weight then look at your diet first and foremost.

On the flip side, losing weight is important for running, if you carrying 10 or 20kg extra the gains from losing some or all of this will be substantial for your running progress.

• and on the topic of running annoyances - dog owners who have no control of their pets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Runners that cost €200+.

Expos that you have to go to and waste hours of your life just to get your number.

Competitors who weave all over the road, then stop right in front of you at water tables in races.

People who moan about water given out in paper cups.

A-holes who fling water bottles on the road or in people’s gardens.

Short/long courses.

Running sleeves.

People who do a 5k or longer warmup for a marathon, makes absolutely no sense.

Medals for a 5k or 10k race.

People who do 100 marathons in a couple of years, resulting in injury for life.

People telling me to stop wasting my time at marathons, that I could knock a minute off my 5k time if I dedicated myself to it.

Fantastic runners, like the Mizuno Elixir and Catalyst or the Brooks Green Silence being discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

I ran a half marathon today that involved laps, some idiot was wearing rucksack with a speaker in it blaring our **** music, I couldn't get far enough away from him for about 3 miles, what is wrong with people today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

People who call me ‘luv’...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Not being able 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

eScooters 🤬🤬🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

I took a water bottle off the table in the Mullingar HM recently to find it was half full. Somebody had obviously drunk from it and put it back.

That would be rude enough any time, but in COVID times it's just unforgivable. And it meant I missed a water stop as I was not going to stop and go back.

Cnt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You dont need to have your lungs hanging out and sweat pouring from your face for exercise to be beneficial. If you like running, fine, each to their own. But runners who shove the message of "only running will help your health" all over social media are deluded.

People in general who think that running means sprinting eye balls out all the time. Running without breaking yourself is perfectly fine, probably expends similar effort to a brisk walk, but gets you a bit further along the road and seeing a bit more stuff along the way.

• I hate runners who lie about how much training they don't do and try to act like its all natural ability.

until they trip up on their lies.........

I was training for a marathon with a neighbour and each time I met her she would

claim she hardly ever gets out for a run and she's done nothing and then she would take off like she has all this natural ability.

Then as the runs would progress she'd let it slip that she was out with her cousins running

or she was in the park running etc.

If you're going to lie then you need to be good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

I think they call that sandbagging around these parts !!

We all know a few of those runners !

• Its the lying about it that annoys me, its like they think you're thick or something, especially if you've ran with them in the

past and know their true ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Runners who complain about runners....actually just runners complaining 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Don't take it personally, almost every runner does it at some stage and it's more lying to themselves than you. It's a mechanism for coping with (self imposed) pressure. Another one is saying"I'm injured/sick".I do agree that it's annoying though.

One very prominent Irish runner turns the tables on this. I asked him on the startline of a race one time how he was feeling and instead of the usual speil about knees,hips,ankles, ebola,malaria etc. he said "John I feel fantastic, never been better" he was 50 at that stage. It was very disconcerting🤣.

Advertisement