Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What annoys you about other runners and running in general?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

Gavlor wrote: »
    This thread has potential.....

I hate the way people take running so f&cking seriously:

Any tips for running on a beach?
    should I have a curry 16 days before a 5k?

I'd love to break 40 minutes for 5k, what should the optimal length of my shoelaces be in order to achieve this?

How Long is a 10 mile race?
    I've ran 16 times today, should I play violin this evening or is that overdoing it?

it wrecks my bulb.

Rant over (for now)

Edit, I also hate the thought of elitism but I don't see it too often, either on here or in the real world at races, training etc.

I don't understand how someone looking for advice on how to improve themselves gets you so riled up?

It is a sport after all, not everybody runs primarily for exercise, or to lose weight, etc. (although that's fine if they do, fair play to them). You come across as having a bit of an inferiority complex.

Do you have a similar attitude towards GAA players, for example, because of how serious the majority of club teams are when competing for a county championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

When you go for a warm down after a race and when you get back all the feckin food is gone. Muck savages. Ah memories of the old rant thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

I don't understand how someone looking for advice on how to improve themselves gets you so riled up?

It is a sport after all, not everybody runs primarily for exercise, or to lose weight, etc. (although that's fine if they do, fair play to them). You come across as having a bit of an inferiority complex.

Do you have a similar attitude towards GAA players, for example, because of how serious the majority of club teams are when competing for a county championship?

Think the sarcasm is missed a bit.

Often people spend so much time focusing on these minute details so much that they often forget that at its core its a simple sport, get out and run, the more you put in the more you will get out. We look for excuses, silver bullets, or niche events that people won't don't do in order to get acclaim simply because there is no general standard known to quantify an achievement.

You make an interesting comparison though I would argue that very few actual take running seriously at all in terms of competing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

... and buggy pushers ( happened in a local race this year, I suggested she move, she replied she was running with the buggy) who start off at the front of a race causing mayhem with faster runners spending the first km weaving around them

Guilty as charged each week at parkrun currently. :)

However, at the point when I get beaten to the first corner by more than two* people I'll revert to starting at the back of the pack and five minutes after everyone else. At a new to me parkrun I'd be starting at the back, but my current one out of a field of 200+ if I start at the back I'll finish in about 20-30th, if I start at the front I'll finish in about 4th or 5th. More of an issue for more people if I start at the back at that parkrun.

*Criteria for cut off may change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

Runners who glide passed you like gazelles on a hill as you're struggling to remain upright :pac:

Runners who forget who they're talking to...'my pace was so slow it wasn't running at all', all the while knowing that pace would be your ideal race pace. Smoke it out yer ar$e :pac:

And I have to go with the folks in a race running 3-4 people wide blocking the path. Probably not so much of an issue at the front, but it's very annoying on those rare occasions I find myself overtaking people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

denis160 wrote: »
    MacSwifty wrote: »
    Even worse giving race #'s to faster runners to gain qualification to said pens or races.

probably very naive on my part, but do people actually do this?
    Myles answered for me but yes it goes on unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Often people spend so much time focusing on these minute details so much that they often forget that at its core its a simple sport
    Part of it is probably that so much online advice comes from analysing or interviewing elite athletes, that people think they need to focus on the minute details in order to get better.
    Articles rarely tell you to "just get out and run" and instead go into optimal diets, rest periods, nutritional supplements and expensive gear. They fail to mention as a footnote that these things only really matter if you're training to place in a national competition.
    So when people are looking for advice specific to their own situation they end up with some bizarre questions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Runners who go into the wrong wave at the start. I'm not very fast but always go into the wave that suits me for the time I know I can do. 1 or 2km into the race there always seems to be people walking and getting in others way.
    Why not just start in the wave that suits you rather than getting in everyone's way.
    I'm talking about the Marathon Series in the Phoenix Park specifically as I don't really do any other races.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I don't recall ever saying that someone looking for advice riles me, in fact I welcome it.

What riles me is the junior infant levels of some of the questions, where the answers a glaringly obvious.

People should ask themselves "what would 10 year old me have done in this scenario" before asking others for questions such as those in my previous example!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭deisedude

RayCun wrote: »
    saw a guy out on Saturday, seemed to be wearing the usual too-much gear of leggings, long-sleeved top etc... and also a bin bag over the lot :D

If he was wearing a bin bag i'd guess he was a boxer trying to make weight for a fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

Gavlor wrote: »
    I don't recall ever saying that someone looking for advice riles me, in fact I welcome it.

What riles me is the junior infant levels of some of the questions, where the answers a glaringly obvious.

People should ask themselves "what would 10 year old me have done in this scenario" before asking others for questions such as those in my previous example!

Seems like I misinterpreted your point Gavlor, my mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Fun runners, walkers and buggy pushers ( happened in a local race this year, I suggested she move, she replied she was running with the buggy) who start off at the front of a race causing mayhem with faster runners spending the first km weaving around them
    I'm embarrassed to say that I've been overtaken (on a few occasions) by buggy pushers who start at the back of the field! I can barely push myself - how the hell can they do that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

People who invest heavily in their running (financially and emotionally) yet won't join a club. These people are useless to the sport IMO. May aswell be playing tennis or judo as they are keeping themselves (and their money) outside of the sport, when the sport badly needs them (and the money). I'm not talking about people who are starting out. I'm talking about people who have been running for a good while but full on refuse to join a club despite being perfectly capable runners.

Also runners who couldn't give a flying toss about watching top level athletics, and could tell you more about Ruud Van Nistelrooy than about Thomas Barr. You don't see people who play soccer not watching soccer, people who play tennis not watching tennis etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I think it's a bit unfair to complain about people's breathing sounds when they are running. What do you want them to do - stop breathing?!

Sorry I'm a bit ratty but one of the things new runners are conscious of is the sound they make when breathing while running, that and how they look when running and a having red face afterwards. I know I am conscious of how I sound - I find that I do get out of breath quite quickly but at least I'm usually near the back of the field so you don't have to listen to me!
    Also just to point out that there may be a good reason why they breath like they do - unfit, overweight, asthma, smoker/ex smoker, getting over cold/flu etc

Hah, it's funny I completely agree with you and I spend a lot of time amongst friends and work colleagues convincing them to just get out and run and that nobody cares if you breath hard, look red and are going terribly slowly.

but...............in a race situation I get driven mad by someone breathing damn hard. More so if it's early in the race, obviously in the last stretch all bets are off. But say if its mile 3 of a half marathon, I'm trying to keep my perceived effort low and I find it stresses me out if someones perceived effort is audibly high in my vicinity.
    That said, I'm fully willing to accept that this irritation more exposes my mental fragility more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

robinph wrote:
    However, at the point when I get beaten to the first corner by more than two* people I'll revert to starting at the back of the pack and five minutes after everyone else. At a new to me parkrun I'd be starting at the back, but my current one out of a field of 200+ if I start at the back I'll finish in about 20-30th, if I start at the front I'll finish in about 4th or 5th. More of an issue for more people if I start at the back at that parkrun.

I appreciate there's a few who would keep pace, had a mate who used to run just over 40min 10k with the buggy!

Lady in my original post was in with the 20 min runners, finished around 30 min. Three quarters of the field had to pass her out.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Chivito550 wrote: »
    People who invest heavily in their running (financially and emotionally) yet won't join a club. These people are useless to the sport IMO. May aswell be playing tennis or judo as they are keeping themselves (and their money) outside of the sport, when the sport badly needs them (and the money). I'm not talking about people who are starting out. I'm talking about people who have been running for a good while but full on refuse to join a club despite being perfectly capable runners.

Also runners who couldn't give a flying toss about watching top level athletics, and could tell you more about Ruud Van Nistelrooy than about Thomas Barr. You don't see people who play soccer not watching soccer, people who play tennis not watching tennis etc.

You're easily annoyed.
    Who's Thomas Barr?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Joining clubs doesn't suit some people. While I'm still a club member, being a member of the club does nothing to benefit me as I never get to their training sessions. The times and location no longer suit me, nor do that of my now local clubs.

You seem to have a very blinkered, one way only way of viewing things.

Ridiculous, there are plenty of people who participate in other sports who never watch said sport. Where on earth did you pull this statement/belief from?

Joining clubs doesn't suit some people. While I'm still a club member, being a member of the club does nothing to benefit me as I never get to their training sessions. The times and location no longer suit me, nor do that of my now local clubs.

You seem to have a very blinkered, one way only way of viewing things.

Ridiculous, there are plenty of people who participate in other sports who never watch said sport. Where on earth did you pull this statement/belief from?

Ehhhh you are missing the point of this thread. Basically people blowing off steam about silly stuff that annoys them.

If we are engaging in actual debates here I may aswell tell the bloke who hates the sound of other people's breathing to wear some headphones, which in the process, has the nice side effect of pissing off the person who ranted about people wearing headphones. And so on and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

deisedude wrote: »
    If he was wearing a bin bag i'd guess he was a boxer trying to make weight for a fight

That's what the OH suggested, but he had more of the look of a runner

Ehhhh you are missing the point of this thread. Basically people blowing off steam about silly stuff that annoys them.

If we are engaging in actual debates here I may aswell tell the bloke who hates the sound of other people's breathing to wear some headphones, which in the process, has the nice side effect of pissing off the person who ranted about people wearing headphones. And so on and so forth.

Saying people who run and are not part of a club are useless to the sport is hardly "silly stuff" now is it.
    Down right insulting comment. True to form I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Saying people who run and are not part of a club are useless to the sport is hardly "silly stuff" now is it.

If it annoys Chivito550 then that opinion is more than welcome in this thread. It is an opinion like anyone elses.

Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Oh great, the Rant Thread 2.0- guess people missed the negativity given this thread has taken off like a Kenyan on EPO.

Running is ace.......that is all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

tang1 wrote: »
    Oh god not another one of these.........

Told ye so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

It has never suited me to join a club since the day I took up running. If that changes I probably will join one, but I don't feel I owe any club my money. I pay to enter their races and am entitled to my place in the field as much as any club runner.

Anyway, I hate runners who pass by in the opposite direction and blatantly ignore you when you've gone out of your way to greet them with a nod, wave or hello. They've definitely noticed, but refuse to acknowledge it and deliberately blank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

mines would be runners who come on to give out above other runners annoying habits

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

The bling merchants. Whats that all about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

yaboya1 wrote: »
    It has never suited me to join a club since the day I took up running. If that changes I probably will join one, but I don't feel I owe any club my money. I pay to enter their races and am entitled to my place in the field as much as any club runner.

Anyway, I hate runners who pass by in the opposite direction and blatantly ignore you when you've gone out of your way to greet them with a nod, wave or hello. They've definitely noticed, but refuse to acknowledge it and deliberately blank you.

+1 saying hello costs nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Lougheee

Runners who are not interested in talking about anything but the marathon.

Men who wear shorts over long tights in the winter. Get over yourselves.

Runners who moan about ‘elitism’ in distance running in Ireland when there are very few actual elite runners in the entire country.

Runners who think athletic clubs are for ‘elites’ only, yet have never set foot inside an athletics clubhouse themselves and rather seek to further their knowledge of the sport elsewhere, like Facebook.

Runners who are quick to advise others but can’t take their own advice.

Runners who appreciate distance more than pace.

Anyone who does that x marathons in x days stuff.

Anybody who complained on social media about the 'Dublin City Marathon Entry Scandal 2016'.

The finisher medal obsessives.

People who have garmins set up for a beep every mile in XC races.

Entitled to my opinion, just as the guy is entitled to rant about a less fit guy snorting and growling 3km into a half marathon.

Boards. As PC as always.

• Advertisement

Kissy Lips wrote: »
    If it annoys Chivito550 then that opinion is more than welcome in this thread. It is an opinion like anyone elses.

Get over it.

Ah ok. It won't be easy, it'll be a long road ahead but as God as my witness I WILL get over it. Freeeeeeeeeeeedoooooooooom!!!!!

Advertisement