Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What annoys you about other runners and running in general?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Plenty of hellos out this morning in the dark, even off a few cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Plenty of hellos out this morning in the dark, even off a few cyclists.

Any talking dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Any talking dogs?

No but I scared a poor fox who hopped over a gate only to leap back over after 3 angry dogs came after him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

More of a trivial annoyance than anything else but find it amusing how some people guard their race times/PB’s as if it’s some sort of life-defining secret….

“So how’d the race go for you on Sunday?”

“Ahh…not too bad”

“Cool…what kinda time did you do?”

“Ehh…it was in and around my target”

“Ok….what was your target?”

“Ahhmm..was aiming for a PB”

“Nice…what’s your PB again?”

…..(Silence)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think acknowledging fellow runners is more a rural Ireland thing, I've never run in cities so not sure if it's a thing there. Where I am you get a nod or a hi. It's the same when we are out cycling, not on the roads but on cycle tracks. Even when I jog on the cycle tracks I get acknowledgements.
    Was in Spain during the summer and got out for a little early run a few mornings. They don't even see you over there, no acknowledgment what so ever. The very few who did nod were pale like myself and probably fellow holiday makers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Cartman78 wrote: »
    More of a trivial annoyance than anything else but find it amusing how some people guard their race times/PB’s as if it’s some sort of life-defining secret….

“So how’d the race go for you on Sunday?”

“Ahh…not too bad”

“Cool…what kinda time did you do?”

“Ehh…it was in and around my target”

“Ok….what was your target?”

“Ahhmm..was aiming for a PB”

“Nice…what’s your PB again?”

…..(Silence)

Not familiar with that demographic at all. Every runner I know can quote all his/her pbs complete with dates and locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

davedanon wrote: »
    Not familiar with that demographic at all. Every runner I know can quote all his/her pbs complete with dates and locations.

And not only that, they're usually very happy to tell you all their past and present PBs without being asked. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

davedanon wrote: »

haha...it's a bit of a niche group i'm referring to alright...specifically my ultra-competitive boss and a neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

davedanon wrote:
    It's a runners solidarity thing, particularly among club runners. You don't salute passing cars, cyclists or walkers, but a fellow runner gets a nod, wave, or hello, depending on the circumstances. Next time you're out, maybe running along in your own bubble, with your headphones in, and some runner says hello, he's not trying to intrude, or be weird. He's just acknowledging your shared pursuit. It's really not a bad thing in any conceivable way.

Quite presumptive there with the bubble and the headphones comment?

Anyway.....did a parkrun Saturday and was passing this guy who sounded like he was motor boating an imaginary pair!!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Was in Spain during the summer and got out for a little early run a few mornings. They don't even see you over there, no acknowledgment what so ever. The very few who did nod were pale like myself and probably fellow holiday makers.

Yup I spent a few years over there and it's hard work to get a hello out of any of them when they're running. Conversely, I found them to be very friendly at any races.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

People who didn't acknowledge me when I was singing it's taper week at them yesterday or giving me funny looks when I'm singing below during the easy runs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Cartman78 wrote: »

Could be that they are:
    a) modest and don't want you to feel bad that you are much slower than them
    OR
    b) embarrassed with the time and feel you would belittle their PB
    OR
    c) just not as obsessed with running and times as some of us around here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Puibo wrote: »
    Quite presumptive there with the bubble and the headphones comment?

Hence the 'maybe'. And anyway I'm not accusing you of a crime or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

dna_leri wrote: »
    Could be that they are:
    a) modest and don't want you to feel bad that you are much slower than them
    OR
    b) embarrassed with the time and feel you would belittle their PB
    OR
    c) just not as obsessed with running and times as some of us around here

Yes, I thought it was probably A) as well. I find that all the time with the much faster runners in our club, they'll usually say 'grand' etc if I ask them how a park run went, rather than going '15.xx! In your face, slower person :)'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think acknowledging fellow runners is more a rural Ireland thing, I've never run in cities so not sure if it's a thing there. Where I am you get a nod or a hi. It's the same when we are out cycling, not on the roads but on cycle tracks. Even when I jog on the cycle tracks I get acknowledgements.

The acknowledgement will vary depending on how close you are to a city/ town centre.

Run between the centre of a city and the suburbs and you'll get waves at one end of the run, but not the other. Unconsciously the more populated the area the less likely people are to notice other people and they will retreat into their own little world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I got plenty of nods and waves in France over the summer - definitely some French people, although they may have been tourists as well. I even came across the same people on a few different days - and the waves and smiles got bigger, with a few "Bonjours/Bon Matins" thrown in.

As for myself sometimes I'm lost in my own world, but mostly is just a quick check for eye contact - a casual nod is given if eye contact is made, or the old forefinger salute. It can get a bit awkward if two of ye are running the same loop in opposite directions - do I really need to say hello the 4th time? Or if you give a big hello to someone you once met at a race and they clearly have no idea who you are.

A couple of weeks ago I was struggling towards the end of a long run when some random guy came up beside and started chatting away - "I'd say your on a long one, training for Dublin is it? Good luck" - that sort of thing. He ran along side me for less than a minute I'd say before speeding off on his own, but I did get a little boost from it all the same - this probably belongs in the other thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

I think the thing that annoys me most about running is injuries. All the other things mentioned here can be annoying at times but don't compare to 20+ weeks of training for one race and getting injured a few weeks out two years in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

Runners who say they are "not built for running"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

corner cutters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Cheaters, worst part eventhough I know they've cheated I find I couldn't be arsed highlighting it. I hate it that I'm so disinterested in the shenanigans of others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Cheaters, worst part eventhough I know they've cheated I find I couldn't be arsed highlighting it. I hate it that I'm so disinterested in the shenanigans of others.

A lot of contradictions in that post!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Runner's 'pink ' ,that color thats uber -popular with irish female runners the last few years , girls , IT DOSENT SUIT YOUR SKIN TONE !

Gavlor wrote:
    A lot of contradictions in that post!

Yeah I'm an enigma wrapped up in a conundrum encased in a ball indifference.
    I like to run though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Oops69 wrote: »
    Runner's 'pink ' ,that color thats uber -popular with irish female runners the last few years , girls , IT DOSENT SUIT YOUR SKIN TONE !

Oops, how silly of us and we all just run to look good. Think of the skin tone as you run ladies ;) :cool:

kit3 wrote:
    Oops, how silly of us and we all just run to look good. Think of the skin tone as you run ladies

Ah sure yet all look good no matter what ye wear. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Yis all have lovely bottoms.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

kit3 wrote: »
    Oops, how silly of us and we all just run to look good. Think of the skin tone as you run ladies ;) :cool:

Ted says ..... they all have lovely skin tones.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Just because you run, every non-runner at work assumes I am doing DCM, and get the third degree as to why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Yis all have lovely bottoms.

Not quite as poetic as your log - how disappointing ;)

• Advertisement

Ted_YNWA wrote:
    Just because you run, every non-runner at work assumes I am doing DCM, and get the third degree as to why not.

My favourite is what charity are you doing it for. Oh and how far is a marathon.

Advertisement