Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Litter training a 4 month old kitten

• 03-10-2016 11:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Looking for some advice on litter training a kitten. We have 4 kittens in the house belonging to two stray mammies that we took in while they were heavily pregnant. Three of the kittens are having no issues with the litter tray and have been using it since around the 8 week mark (2 kittens are 5 months old, 2 kittens are a little over 4 months). The 4 month old kitten in question has no problem using the litter tray for number 2's but does his best to pee on anything left on the floor - cushions, tea towels or even just directly on the floor if nothing else is available. We thing he's a bit on the slow side (although there is nothing wrong with his brother from the same litter) and are wondering if this has anything to do with it? Any ideas on how to deal with this?

Thanks,
    Jennifer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

How many trays do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

tk123 wrote: »
    How many trays do you have?

Two trays between four kittens, mammies go outside - i thought that was an issue but since he poops in the tray, I'm not sure if that's it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

jenn1984 wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    Any ideas on how to deal with this?
    Wipe it with paper and put it in the toilet to get the toilet the right smell and make sure you use an appropriate biological enzyme cleaner to remove it from the floor afterwards and if it is always in the same area add another toilet there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

What Nody said, except put a few sheets of newspaper down in the tray in case the kitten dislikes litter. What I suspect he really is doing, with six cats and a number of other residents in the house, is scent marking to establish his presence. If this doesn't work you might need to confine him to a quiet room with his own tray until he is consistently using it (but don't ignore the little thing, just make sure he is feeling secure about his space and his identity).

Thanks for the advice guys - its usually behind the sofa so not in love with the idea of putting a litter tray there but might have to if this keeps on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Has the kitten been vet checked recently? Up to date with worming etc?

personally i would visit the vet as a precaution.

then if need be scoop his wee up and put it in the tray. You could try an alternative litter either.

How big a space do they have? It might be too big and he may need to be confined to a smaller space til he gets the hang of it.

has he dropped yet? (testes) He could be attempting dominance but if he hasnt weed ever in the tray there is a reason why. x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

also-try changing the litter tray filling. some cats can be VERY particular about what they do their dues on. i have one who will ONLY go on newspaper. :rolleyes:

To be honest - we've had an unusually hectic summer when it comes to stray pregnant cats so he hasn't been to the vets yet. We rehomed a total of 6 kittens and one other mammy cat so I guess budget has been an issue. Most of the kittens have cat flu issues as a result of their mums living outside during most of their pregnancy - we have treated them with antibiotics but it does flare up once in a while. Might change the litter and see how that works, but wondering why he'll do number 2's in the tray if the litter is an issue? Was about to put on toast this morning 10 minutes before I had to leave for work and I stood in a puddle of his pee on the utility room floor, had to wash my foot in the kitchen sink - was not a happy girl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

To be honest - we've had an unusually hectic summer when it comes to stray pregnant cats so he hasn't been to the vets yet. We rehomed a total of 6 kittens and one other mammy cat so I guess budget has been an issue. Most of the kittens have cat flu issues as a result of their mums living outside during most of their pregnancy - we have treated them with antibiotics but it does flare up once in a while. Might change the litter and see how that works, but wondering why he'll do number 2's in the tray if the litter is an issue? Was about to put on toast this morning 10 minutes before I had to leave for work and I stood in a puddle of his pee on the utility room floor, had to wash my foot in the kitchen sink - was not a happy girl!

I wonder if he isn't avoiding another cat's "territory marking" of the litter box, rather than doing territory marking himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

? Was about to put on toast this morning 10 minutes before I had to leave for work and I stood in a puddle of his pee on the utility room floor, had to wash my foot in the kitchen sink - was not a happy girl!

hhahahahaha that happens to me too regularly lol. I've an old cat who sometimes can't hold it anymore-balancing act in the sink is mandatory. ruined socks too.
    Re the #2s and #1..in case of number ones they sit closer to the litter and if they don't like the stuff...nope. One thing I found they always liked is the very fine sand one uses for birdcages. Might try that?

• Advertisement

hhahahahaha that happens to me too regularly lol. I've an old cat who sometimes can't hold it anymore-balancing act in the sink is mandatory. ruined socks too.
    Re the #2s and #1..in case of number ones they sit closer to the litter and if they don't like the stuff...nope. One thing I found they always liked is the very fine sand one uses for birdcages. Might try that?

Thanks will give it a shot! Luckily I have a habit of putting my socks and shoes on on my way out the door so that wasn't an issue. Can't wait until they are old enough to go outside so they can do their business out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭jimf

had a kitten years ago who would not use his litter tray indoors

so watched where he liked to go outside and started putting earth from his favourite flowerbed into his litter tray bingo

never did tell my poor mam why her flowerbed was so ruffled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I had a young cat who started peeing in unusual places, turned out he had painful cystitis. Maybe a vet visit might be in order, but vet will want a urine sample, which is not easy to get! Got mine by putting aeroboard* pieces in an empty litter tray and pouring results into sample bottle!

* The light stuff you get as packing in boxes.

Advertisement