Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement Battery Golf Glider

Options
  • 03-10-2016 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Any advice on replacement battery options for a golf glider, the old one (lead acid) is failing.
    Lithium ones seem very pricy. Not sure if the other caddy car brands batteries are options, I can see that a lot of them wouldn't fit in the cradle anyway
    I thought I saw ads for a generic brand unit lately whichbhad USB socket too, but I can't remember details
    Charger unit still fine so ideally would keep thatnif it saved money

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

TedR wrote: »
    Any advice on replacement battery options for a golf glider, the old one (lead acid) is failing.
    Lithium ones seem very pricy. Not sure if the other caddy car brands batteries are options, I can see that a lot of them wouldn't fit in the cradle anyway
    I thought I saw ads for a generic brand unit lately whichbhad USB socket too, but I can't remember details
    Charger unit still fine so ideally would keep thatnif it saved money

there is no reason for you to have to change the charger... unless you go lithium... I personally dont think they are worth it
    personally, I stuck with a golf glider branded battery. it was only 10quid or so more. I think I paid 115 for the large battery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Seve OB wrote: »
    there is no reason for you to have to change the charger... unless you go lithium... I personally dont think they are worth it
    personally, I stuck with a golf glider branded battery. it was only 10quid or so more. I think I paid 115 for the large battery

Lithium is far superior than Lead acid, the later are just not built to last these days, 1 year warranty vs a 3 year warranty on Caddy Cell, the one with the USB port. Say it will last up to 5 years. a bit dearer up front but better value long term.

neckedit wrote: »
    Lithium is far superior than Lead acid, the later are just not built to last these days, 1 year warranty vs a 3 year warranty on Caddy Cell, the one with the USB port. Say it will last up to 5 years. a bit dearer up front but better value long term.

I've spoken about it before on another thread so not going into great detail again, but in summary, to spend the money on the lithium, plus a new charger... i'd probably get at least 3 batteries for that money, maybe 4. :eek:
    I had small glider battery before ... it lasted 6 years. my current one, have had it nearly 2. got 34 holes last week out of her. (I won't lie, I had to push it round the last 2, but it was my fault as I forgot to charge and wasn't thinking during the round to let her freewheel down hills (which alone would have seen me through)

I've spoken about it before on another thread so not going into great detail again, but in summary, to spend the money on the lithium, plus a new charger... i'd probably get at least 3 batteries for that money, maybe 4. :eek:
    I had small glider battery before ... it lasted 6 years. my current one, have had it nearly 2. got 34 holes last week out of her. (I won't lie, I had to push it round the last 2, but it was my fault as I forgot to charge and wasn't thinking during the round to let her freewheel down hills (which alone would have seen me through)

Charger comes with he battery, Lithium Battery €250ish..... new lead Acid €115 excluding charger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

I got a lithium battery on ebay off this guy €160 5 yr guarantee. Mine is a golf glider.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262073757394

• Advertisement

Charger comes with he battery, Lithium Battery €250ish..... new lead Acid €115 excluding charger.

Fair enough. When I was buying, the charger was extra. It was well over 300 in total so not a hope I was buying it.

Also I bought genuine brand as opposed to spurious.

Fair enough. When I was buying, the charger was extra. It was well over 300 in total so not a hope I was buying it.

Also I bought genuine brand as opposed to spurious.

If you don't mind me asking what model is the Battery you bought?

If you don't mind me asking what model is the Battery you bought?

Golf Glider

I got a lithium battery on ebay off this guy €160 5 yr guarantee. Mine is a golf glider.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262073757394

Surprised people would rather buy genuine parts rather than spurious as there usually exactly the same manufacturer with just a logo change (years working in automotive industry).
    The link I posted is based in Down and offers free postage. I got sick of buying lead acid batteries that only lasted a year and a half at best. Be smart.

I got sick of buying lead acid batteries that only lasted a year and a half at best. Be smart.

Maybe that's cause you were buying spurious???? :eek: ;):p:D

I've already said I got genuine golf glider battery. First one lasted over 6 years. Second one is almost 2 now and still good for 2 rounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Thanks for input lads
    Lithium seems like the thing, but I would have to dump a working charger too, so it puts me in the 300 euro bracket I think
    Maybe better value but its an awful lot upfront for a battery.

On a slight aside, I wonder why batteries are so pricy, for a mass market product and technology do they really cost that much to manufacture or are we being killed in the profit mark up?

Maybe that's cause you were buying spurious???? :eek: ;):p:D

I've already said I got genuine golf glider battery. First one lasted over 6 years. Second one is almost 2 now and still good for 2 rounds

Newsflash mate golf glider don't make batteries! They buy spurious ones and put golf glider on them :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Newsflash mate golf glider don't make batteries! They buy spurious ones and put golf glider on them

Do you know what spurious means?

First Up wrote: »
    Do you know what spurious means?

Enlightened me please..

Enlightened me please..

You could look it up but it means fake.

You could look it up but it means fake.

Well I worked as a toolmaker in an automotive factory. We made electrical connecters for ford BMW etc. We also made spurious parts all above board. It was my job to remove the BMW logo from the mould to make the spurious parts.

The spurious parts go through the same rigorous quality testing as the bmw parts. This is common practice across the manufacturing industry. Bmw can double the price for just having a logo on the part.

So that's my experience if people wish to buy genuine parts that's up to them.
    I think a lithium battery for 160eu a golf glider is a no brainer.
    I'm just surprised nobody was bothered with my little nugget of info.

The spurious parts go through the same rigorous quality testing as the bmw parts. This is common practice across the manufacturing industry. Bmw can double the price for just having a logo on the part.

It is only spurious or fake if it is labelled or presented as something it is not. I don't know who makes the lithium batteries sold by Golf Glider but they are not pretending to be anything other than what they are.

People are free to by a Chinese lithium battery in Moore St. if they want. I got mine from Golf Glider because I thought it would be of good quality - and it is.

It is only spurious or fake if it is labelled or presented as something it is not. I don't know who makes the lithium batteries sold by Golf Glider but they are not pretending to be anything other than what they are.

People are free to by a Chinese lithium battery in Moore St. if they want. I got mine from Golf Glider because I thought it would be of good quality - and it is.
    Maybe spurious is the wrong word after all you can buy spurious parts in any motor factors in the country. Do they sell fake parts? Would that be legal?
    So technically spurious may mean fake but the part would only be considered a fake if there was copyright infringement.
    I know golf glider dont have a patent on batteries or even the type of connectors to the batteries. So save yourself a few quid or be a slave to a brand.

I'm willing to bet though that the golf glider batteries are made in China.

I'm willing to bet though that the golf glider batteries are made in China.

There is no brand name on the Golf Glider batteries and I don't care where they are made. I bought from them because they supply good quality trustworthy products. They are entitled to their margin for that quality assurance.

If someone can get a battery or anything of similar quality at a cheaper price, good luck to them. But you usually get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

I bought the same lithium battery as Montigolfer and am very happy with it. Found it on eBay for €160. It's exactly the same shape and size as the litepower lithium battery my friend paid €279 for, just a different cover. It's also the same size and shape as the litepower battery on Golfglider.ie 's home page that they charge €295 for.

• Advertisement

searay wrote:
    I bought the same lithium battery as Montigolfer and am very happy with it. Found it on eBay for €160. It's exactly the same shape and size as the litepower lithium battery my friend paid €279 for, just a different cover. It's also the same size and shape as the litepower battery on Golfglider.ie 's home page that they charge €295 for.

If it has the 5 year guarantee then a good deal. Does ir include the charger?

My lithium is 3-4 years old and still perfect. I don't remember what it cost but I don't think it was anything close to €295 and that included the charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

If it has the 5 year guarantee then a good deal. Does ir include the charger?

My lithium is 3-4 years old and still perfect. I don't remember what it cost but I don't think it was anything close to €295 and that included the charger.

Included the charger, fully guaranteed for 3 years and 75% refund if it fails in years 4 and 5. I bought a new motocaddy with a standard battery in January 2015, battery lasted until June 2016 so I'd be happy once I get the 3 years. I got a good deal on the motocaddy and am happy with it but I'd agree that the golf gliders are very durable.

TedR wrote: »
    Thanks for input lads
    Lithium seems like the thing, but I would have to dump a working charger too, so it puts me in the 300 euro bracket I think
    Maybe better value but its an awful lot upfront for a battery.

On a slight aside, I wonder why batteries are so pricy, for a mass market product and technology do they really cost that much to manufacture or are we being killed in the profit mark up?

250ish will get you all you need. Charger comes with the Battery.

Golf Glider

Glider don't make Batteries.
    They use Haze and Shonnesshien lead acid and Lite Power or another brand who's name escapes me, for the Lithiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sthilmick

I got a battery for my powercaddie with the propper fittings€55 in Portlaoise in euro batteries led acid he's got on for around the €100 mark and the lithium for € 250 giving good warranties with them. The one I got is a Lucas not a bad name in batteries at all check him out

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Walter Alright

Does anyone have any experience with the following battery?

https://touch.adverts.ie/trolleys/new-lithium-battery-5-yr-warranty-at-golf-concepts/14620328

I have my original lead battery about 6 years & it’s starting to struggle in the last few holes. Don’t know whether to replace it with a lead battery or lithium.

Some of my mates lead batteries have not lasted anywhere near as long as mine. I was told when I bought it to keep the battery plugged into the charger whenever I’m not using it.

Any advice would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

You have done really well to have a lead battery last 6 years. Lead batteries purchased in recent years normally last only 1/2 years.

I had a very old glider and replaced its battery with a lithium battery. Many of my friends have done this successfully but in my case it would die on about the last hole of long courses. After trying many things the solution was to replace the motor which was an old type. It then worked well and I would highly recommend the lithium battery, much smaller/lighter and charges more quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Walter Alright

My old battery came with the golf glider. It’s made by Sonnenschein & is a 12V 22Ah.

I can get the a new one of these for €130 or the above one for €199.

If I though I’d even get 3 years out of the new Sonnenschein I’d get one. I don’t really know anyone that has a lithium battery, so I know very little about them.

Haha interesting read is this thread.

Guess what, my battery died last summer, I think it blew a cell because it was fine one minute and the next thing it was overheating whilst on charge.

So I ate some humble pie.

Now sporting a caddy cell lithium as recommended by the guys in golf glider Dundrum.

Oh yea, I got it free, well I won it as a prize

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

I got mine here. Picked up replacement Powakaddy parts here before and all sound. delivery via DPD parcel wizard or PM.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/18-27-hole-Lithium-Golf-Battery-Pack-ideal-PowaKaddy-Hill-Billy-and-MotoCaddy/391781679093?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Advertisement