Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish pro Conti team (aka The Aquablue thread)

Options
  • 03-10-2016 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

So Aguablue Sports pro conti team is up and runing and has named its first riders

Matt Brammeier
    Conor Dunne
    Martyn Irvine

and.....

Lars P Nordhaug

Looks good. I am really excited to have an Irish team at last

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Wouldnlt it be lovely if they could get their hands on McLoughlin & Deignan

Deignan at SKY is a disaster as he never races

They are hoping to be World Tour in a few years ... but looking to target MSR, Amstel Gold (Nordhaug I suppose) and Tour of Britain

I hope they can win races

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Thought Martyn retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Thought Martyn retired.

He did after a tough year and then I think the break away from the sport for a while and then riding the cars in the Rás reminded him of why he loved the sport. Mad a come back a few months ago with McNally Swords. Good to see him on the bike again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

MPFGLB wrote: »
    They are hoping to be World Tour in a few years ... but looking to target MSR, Amstel Gold (Nordhaug I suppose) and Tour of Britain

I hope they can win races

Jesus they're not messing about with those objectives! They'll need to sign someone else for MSR...

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Jesus they're not messing about with those objectives! They'll need to sign someone else for MSR...

I think there are more signings to be anounced..could be someone who can ride these races ....a previous sprinter ?

BUt I guess featuring in MSR and Amstel Gold are possible

Wanty won Amstel this year

Might as well aim hgh

P.S. The team have already been invited to MSR, Amstel Gold & Tour of Britian .... so maybe not targeting but maybe again they are....Good they have invites already ...must know people in all the right places
    Also invited to Tour presentation ...definitley know the right people

He did after a tough year and then I think the break away from the sport for a while and then riding the cars in the Rás reminded him of why he loved the sport. Mad a come back a few months ago with McNally Swords. Good to see him on the bike again.

Irvine has the ability to do very well on the road...I guess we didnlt see it sofar as he was concentrating on the track...Maybe now he can do something ...He certainly strong enough when he puts his mind to it

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

the doctor Alan Farrell formerly worked with Sky - might be able to help them with some marginal gains

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Looks good. I am really excited to have an Irish team at last

well there was that spate of Italian teams that registered in Ireland (not sure if that still goes on) - Tanax, Colnago CSF, etc. Never knew the reason why they registered here.

The An Post team is Belgian registered, isn't it?

So this will be the highest level "proper" Irish team ever?

The last Conti team we had here was Pezula, wasn't it? Don't think there's been one since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

An Post CRC is Irish-registered this year, I think. It went back to Belgium for a while as it helped to get into Belgian races, but switched back again. The ill-fated Polygon registered in Ireland for a season also. The Italian teams registered here as it was cheaper for a while until CI closed that loophole. Then the UCI brought in the requirement that the biggest number of team members must be from the country of registration. This applies to Conti teams only, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

Pudsy33 wrote: »

I think there are more signings to be anounced..could be someone who can ride these races ....a previous sprinter ?

BUt I guess featuring in MSR and Amstel Gold are possible

Wanty won Amstel this year

Might as well aim hgh

P.S. The team have already been invited to MSR, Amstel Gold & Tour of Britian .... so maybe not targeting but maybe again they are....Good they have invites already ...must know people in all the right places
    Also invited to Tour presentation ...definitley know the right people

It's very surprising that they could have been already invited to Milan San Remo already. They've updated their web page to say 'hopefully' invited. Maybe they've been given an indication that they will, which would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

1bryan wrote: »
    The An Post team is Belgian registered, isn't it?

An Post is Irish but it's a UCI Continental Team (as opposed to a Professional Continental Team) kind of division 2 and 3

Seven Worlds will Collide

happytramp wrote: »
    It's very surprising that they could have been already invited to Milan San Remo already. They've updated their web page to say 'hopefully' invited. Maybe they've been given an indication that they will, which would be great.

I missed the word 'hopefully' as did the team initially

However it is strange that of all the World Tour races they are hoping to ride MSR and Amstel are the races singled out

I mean neither of these races are particularly exciitng in my book

MSR has been won by a strong sprinter like Kristoff and not sure who in Aqua could make a mark in this race ....As for Amstel the Cauberg needs a particular type rider like Gerrnas or Kwait or Gilbert...Not sure who in Aqua could get a result in this race

Maye their as yet unannounced riders ??

If I were to target any race to enter it would be Paris Roubaix...At least with the Irish riders the team woud be noriced and it is possible a rider like Nordaug who can do a tough race could do a top ten . and its a great race where outsiders do win

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Cameron Meyer making a comeback. Going to aquablue possibly???

Craig06 wrote: »
    Cameron Meyer making a comeback. Going to aquablue possibly???

Yes or maybe Leigh Howard

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

....As for Amstel the Cauberg needs a particular type rider like Gerrnas or Kwait or Gilbert...Not sure who in Aqua could get a result in this race

Maye their as yet unannounced riders ??
    Nordhaug would be fairly suited to Amstel i think, wouldn't be a bad option in other Ardennes races either. As you say though I can't see MSR taking a punt on their present line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

However it is strange that of all the World Tour races they are hoping to ride MSR and Amstel are the races singled out

I have a feeling it might be something to do with how the wildcards are assigned. I don't know the ins and outs of the process but French wildcard are pretty much always given to French teams, and to non-French teams with a big-name rider (on the premise that big-name rides the race).

I'd love to see them line up in the early season semi-classics. If they could make an impact on these it might help their case for inclusion in the classics in 2018.

It remains to be seen who else's services they manage to secure. I'm sure people here could suggest a few riders who might be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

1bryan wrote: »
    It remains to be seen who else's services they manage to secure. I'm sure people here could suggest a few riders who might be useful.

I would say this would be mostly done and dusted now...I suspect it is just dotting i's and crossing t's.......they are announcing another 4/5 next Monday plus a "marquee" rider
    “Next Monday we will announce the next three or four riders. We have announced two WorldTour riders thus far, Lars Petter and Brammeier, and we will have, I think, another five. One of those is a marquee signing, a very good climber.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/new-irish-cycling-team-has-big-plans-for-2017-1.2816663

Yes or maybe Leigh Howard

Am I psychic or what :D:D

• Advertisement

Keeks wrote: »
    I would say this would be mostly done and dusted now...I suspect it is just dotting i's and crossing t's.......they are announcing another 4/5 next Monday plus a "marquee" rider

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/new-irish-cycling-team-has-big-plans-for-2017-1.2816663

Would that be Pozzovivo by any chance ???

Pity Deignan has contract for another year with SKY ..LOve to see him at this team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Pity Deignan has contract for another year with SKY ..LOve to see him at this team

Has he??

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Maybe Adam Blythe could end up there if he hasn't found a team yet . English speaking rider losing his job with Tinkoff folding would be a good fit . Igor Anton is also still without a contract afaik .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What kind of money would be needed to back a team like this? Based on the names mentioned here I would assume wages would be decent (obiously less than Pro Tour but more than Continental)?

Sizeable amount....the bus and truck alone bought second hand amount to half a mil

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irelands-first-pro-team-buys-worldtour-luxury-coach-and-truck/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

There is a minimum wage for pro conti level of 30k a year I think (24K for neo pros) so thats the base. Unusual for wages much higher than 100k for most riders.
    Marquee riders often bring sponsorship with them which funds bigger paydeals.

Bear in mind pro cyclists have a relatively short career and the rewards are nowhere near other sports.

So even taking the min of 30k per rider with a teamof 16 thats another half mil of investment....and 4 years of that.

And then the support staff.....so it is a sizeable amount

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Keeks wrote: »
    So even taking the min of 30k per rider with a teamof 16 thats another half mil of investment....and 4 years of that.

And then the support staff.....so it is a sizeable amount

No certainly not cheap, and pretty much as many support staff as riders, then travel, bikes etc....

Big undertaking and best of luck to them.

I hope they do well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I forgot there is a min wage. I doubt the names announced will be on that wage?

Just interesting to see if an Irish based team can attract the sponsors to keep going. I know they have a backer but even still.

Great to see all the same. Will be following them closely as I actually know some of the back room staff.

• Advertisement

Igor Anton is rumoured for Bahrain with Nibali

Only climber left without a contract or even a rumour of one that could be called a marque rider is Pozzovivo

I'd say the budget is 4/5 Million a year. Nordaugh & Irvine, Brammeier and Dunne wages must be 1/2 million alone if not more

Advertisement