Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish pro Conti team (aka The Aquablue thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Cycling News

No Aqua Blue sport in any Grand tour this year. Very disappointing for them, they have hardly any World Tour race days.
    Rick isn't happy.

Tweet Machine

I can totally understand his frustration, given the reduction of team sizes this year most races have space for 2 extra teams at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Wah wah wah, his little ego project got invites last year when far more worthy teams were overlooked.
    Does he think he's the only investor in the sport or that his rubbish website is the only commercial partner depending on exposure?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Start a women's team.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

He was having a moan to that they didn't get an invite to the tour of California cause they have the american national champion riding for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Is there a particular set of criteria for getting selected or simply pot luck and at the entire discretion of the race owner?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I can't understand why Aqua Blue are seemingly so toxic!
    They rode well last year, aggressive, interesting and winning some big races (Tour de Suisse traditionally seen as biggest non GT stage race).
    Despite this they have been overlooked for most of the classics, all the big early season stage races, tour of california and now all the GT's...
    What have they done wrong...//

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Is there a particular set of criteria for getting selected or simply pot luck and at the entire discretion of the race owner?

The Giro offer a place to the highest ranked team in the Europe tour the previous year, rest of it is all at the organisers discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

RobFowl wrote:
    I can't understand why Aqua Blue are seemingly so toxic! They rode well last year, aggressive, interesting and winning some big races (Tour de Suisse traditionally seen as biggest non GT stage race). Despite this they have been overlooked for most of the classics, all the big early season stage races, tour of california and now all the GT's... What have they done wrong...//

I think that maybe the issue is with Delaney.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

RobFowl wrote: »
    The Giro offer a place to the highest ranked team in the Europe tour the previous year, rest of it is all at the organisers discretion.

That and they've an Israeli development team in it as it's starting there and Israel tourism is a sponsor I think?

Cofidis have been invited every year to the Vuelta since 97/98 and share some sponsors.

They did in fairness recognize that there are 2 new Spanish Pro Continental teams and are giving them a chance. Aqua Blue are not the only one to be overlooked, but I think Cofidis are the only team to get invited to 2 grand tours

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    That and they've an Israeli development team in it as it's starting there and Israel tourism is a sponsor I think?

Cofidis have been invited every year to the Vuelta since 97/98 and share some sponsors.

They did in fairness recognize that there are 2 new Spanish Pro Continental teams and are giving them a chance. Aqua Blue are not the only one to be overlooked, but I think Cofidis are the only team to get invited to 2 grand tours

And Cofidis managed to be completely anonymous in every GT they rode in the last 5 years....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

There is NO issue with AquabLue....teh competetion is immense for lace anthey usually go to the local teams and the highest bidder

Its not a fair process

Single chainset. That is the reason right there. The stonecutters have spoken.

MPFGLB wrote: »
    There is NO issue with AquabLue....teh competetion is immense for lace anthey usually go to the local teams and the highest bidder

Its not a fair process

They pay to race?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

It's a political decision. Vuelta favours Spanish teams, Giro, Italian etc. I can't see Aquablue lasting. Delaney has put his own money on the line, they've delivered results, but in 2018 they've not gotten the invites to the Grand Tours.

The invite process is completely arbitrary which makes sponsoring a team like Aquablue a complete gamble.

Look at Cofidis. What have they won in the last 3 years? **** all, yet invites to the Vuelta and Tour each year. Coincidentally, sponsors to the Vuelta and a French team. Aquablue win the Queen stage in the Vuelta and don't get an invite the following year.

EDIT: Hadn't seen Rob & Weepsie make the Cofidis point earlier. Great minds and all that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Cycling is traditional. AquaBlu might be before its time

I've always wondered about how Cofidis manage to get invites year after year despite being next to useless. I remember one tour a good few years ago where one of their riders was quite active in breakaways (decent rider but can't recall who atm) but aside from that, nothing of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I've always wondered about how Cofidis manage to get invites year after year despite being next to useless. I remember one tour a good few years ago where one of their riders was quite active in breakaways (decent rider but can't recall who atm) but aside from that, nothing of note.

Moncoutié used to win KOM in Vuelta a lot.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Moncouti%C3%A9

Raam wrote: »
    Moncoutié used to win KOM in Vuelta a lot.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Moncouti%C3%A9

That's the one!

That must have been that last time they took a GT stage too and that was the 2011 Vuelta.

EDIT: No I'm wrong they took a stage in 2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

To be fair to Cofidis they have Bouhanni, Laporte, the Herrada brothers and another decentish spanish climber that I've forgotten.
    Bouhanni has been at the top of the Europe tour for a good few years and while they're sh1t small races for the most part, they do add up.
    Two GTs is too much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I think that maybe the issue is with Delaney.

I don’t know enough about him to make that assessment, however, he won’t help endear himself to the UCI/Race organisers by public rants that critisise the establishment/suggest its a closed shop. By all means complain strongly through the channels and appeal to their egos, but don’t burn bridges when you still need the bridges!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

To be fair to Cofidis they have Bouhanni, Laporte, the Herrada brothers and another decentish spanish climber that I've forgotten.
    Bouhanni has been at the top of the Europe tour for a good few years and while they're sh1t small races for the most part, they do add up.
    Two GTs is too much though.

Daniel Navarro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Quite Simply, ABS need more podiums......Its that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Keeks wrote: »
    Quite Simply, ABS need more podiums......Its that simple.
    It's not that simple though. They need to be from the right country, namely france, italy or spain because the wild card system is not a meritocracy. Or they can just buy their way onto a Grand tour by sponsoring it, see Cofidis, Gazprom, Israel Cycling Academy. Delaney doesn't do himself any favours though, he's the new Oleg Tinkoff.

Anyone see Eddie Dunbar bunny hop up a kerb over a grass verge and onto a bike lane with a gel in hand during the race today, no idea what caused him to pull off that one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

It's not that simple though. They need to be from the right country, namely france, italy or spain because the wild card system is not a meritocracy. Or they can just buy their way onto a Grand tour by sponsoring it, see Cofidis, Gazprom, Israel Cycling Academy. Delaney doesn't do himself any favours though, he's the new Oleg Tinkoff.

He is nothing like Oleg Tinkoff

To be fair to Cofidis they have Bouhanni...Bouhanni has been at the top of the Europe tour for a good few years and while they're sh1t small races for the most part, they do add up.

Not much to shout about really as he is better known for throwing strops and fighting than getting decent results.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Not much to shout about really as he is better known for throwing strops and fighting than getting decent results.

Cofidis don't seem to think he's much to shout about either!

• Advertisement

Thats been brewing with him for a while. Since the change in management in the team theres been less of an appetite to tolerate his ways or build a team around him. Rightly so if the reports on his fitness are accurate.

Advertisement