Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish pro Conti team (aka The Aquablue thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

TychoCaine wrote: »
    It's easy to remove a front mech hanger and smooth it out with filler before spraying it up in Aqua Blue colours.

I was going to ask why go to all that trouble and not complete the paint job, but then again you can't go around putting Another manufacturers name on a bike......

Good result for the young Casper Pedersen today.....looks like a good prospect

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Keeks wrote: »
    I was going to ask why go to all that trouble and not complete the paint job, but then again you can't go around putting Another manufacturers name on a bike......
    Exactly!

Casper Pedersen finished 5th over all in Dunkerque. Actually delighted to see André Greipel back on his bike and up there in 2nd place over all, many see him as a sprinter and forget he can be a man to go in a break on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Eddie Dunbar with a super result from Stage 4 of Baloise Belgium Tour finishing in the breakaway and moving upto 5th on GC
    He really does seem to like classic style racing in Belgium, he does not look at all out of place in the pro peloton and a place on a World Tour team is surely not far away.
    https://twitter.com/AquaBlueSport/status/1000402676432228352

• Advertisement

Eddie finished 4th overall. Just 6 seconds off the podium. Chapeau.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

Keeks wrote: »

Word is they're developing a Strada frame with an FD so possibly that. Someone asked a question on the latest Cycling Podcast Q&A episode... basically had they heard feedback from the team. Richard Moore mentioned that while it worked on some terrain the riders weren't happy when the road got steep. So new frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Scathing article on cyclingnews as a mechanical costs Christian a chance in the TDS
    Posting here from mobile so cannot add a link

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

gman2k wrote: »
    Scathing article on cyclingnews as a mechanical costs Christian a chance in the TDS
    Posting here from mobile so cannot add a link

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-suisse-bike-mechanical-costs-christian-a-shot-at-stage-victory/

• Advertisement

Interserting tweet from Rick - “This lab rat thing is now costing results”

Points are a strained relationship witn Strada 3T??
    Not the first time this year that dropped chains cost them.....

Still on Ridley bikes for TT too which I only realised the other day watching the TDS

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Quelle surprise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

As the team owner, he could have said no surely?

He comes across as an eejit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

The bikes were chosen because either a) they had the potential to offer some mechanical advantage (unlikely) or b) 3T were offering a very sweet deal to promote them.
    Either way, it was an Aquablue decision to use them. I don't imagine that 3T came sneaking around the team's service course in the wee hours, swapping out all the "normal" road bikes for 1X

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I presume it is the rear derailleur can't handle the ratio. Much the same way if you leave your chain slightly too long it will jump when the chain goes slack in certain gears. Also a slim faux derailleur would also help without affecting the aero/weight stuff to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

If only they had a website they could buy new bikes on.....

You didn't hear Dan whinging about Colnago or Vittoria tyres after LBL

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Punctures are inevitable. But this was entirely avoidable if they'd opted not be sponsored by a company that makes stupid bikes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Do they have a clutch system here for tension or is it a standard deraileur?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Weepsie wrote: »
    As the team owner, he could have said no surely?

He comes across as an eejit

a total eejit. His attack on sticky bottle for absolutely nothing another case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Punctures are inevitable.
    Mechanicals, and even dropped chains, happen too though? Seem to recall it happening to at least one high profile sprinter earlier this season, never mind some high profile cases in previous years (Cost Schleck a Tour (at the time)). Sky seem to have lots of problems with their gearing, and they're not running 1x.

Of course. But do you think problems are more or less likely to happy if you've no front deraileur? That's what I mean by opting for a stupid bike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Pro Conti level is not a pace to test out new and unproven technology with out having a back drop of standard equipment.
    Riders must be absolutely fuming....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

godtabh wrote: »
    Do they have a clutch system here for tension or is it a standard deraileur?
    I had a look at their promo pics and it looks like a standard medium cage. Crazy not to have at least a long cage or make their own
    Of course. But do you think problems are more or less likely to happy if you've no front deraileur? That's what I mean by opting for a stupid bike.
    All it needs up there is a clip over the top. Still more aero than derailleur and lighter.

RobFowl wrote: »
    Pro Conti level is not a pace to test out new and unproven technology with out having a back drop of standard equipment.
    Riders must be absolutely fuming....

was the point of the Cervelo Test Team back in the day to test out new stuff coming from Cervelo and 3T?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Mechanicals, and even dropped chains, happen too though? Seem to recall it happening to at least one high profile sprinter earlier this season, never mind some high profile cases in previous years (Cost Schleck a Tour (at the time)). Sky seem to have lots of problems with their gearing, and they're not running 1x.

user error, in Schleck's case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

CramCycle wrote: »

All it needs up there is a clip over the top. Still more aero than derailleur and lighter.

You need something to fix it to though, there's no hardware in the BB area to do that and the tube shapes would make any band on solution messy I'd reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

1x isn't that untested is it? In use for years in mountain biking and cross. Not saying there isn't problems with their equipment, but if the rear derailleur is the issue, surely they could've swapped them out themselves? If they're dropping on the inside, chaincatchers available on Aquablue....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I doubt many Pro Conti teams would have turned down the amount 3T offered for the sponsorship. The reason they are riding those stupid bikes is to pay for the team.

Advertisement