Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish pro Conti team (aka The Aquablue thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Usually in cycling that is an ominous sign.

Was thinking the same. Has a partner & young kid. Hope he is ok. Tough year for him

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    Stefan Denifil who got ABS Vuelta stage win won’t be joining CCC as planned due to personal reasons they announced today

I wonder is this the personal reason?

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/1102106467660906497?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

godtabh wrote: »

...if true, its exactly what i was expecting. Grand tour stage winner at his peak market value available late and cheap and suddenly packing it in ? Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I wonder is it connected to the austrian blood doping scandal involving cross country skiing which erupted this week. Reports from that story indicate doping programs going back to 2016.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47415803

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

cunavalos wrote: »
    I wonder is it connected to the austrian blood doping scandal involving cross country skiing which erupted this week. Reports from that story indicate doping programs going back to 2016.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47415803

Yep. From that cyclingnews article linked above: "Denifl was questioned by police on Friday as part of the investigation into German sports doctor Mark Schmidt".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Denifl was questioned by police on Friday as part of the investigation into German sports doctor Mark Schmidt that saw five athletes arrested at the Nordic Ski World Championships in Seefeld, Austria last week.

From the cycling news link.

^^^^
    *snap* :pac:

Dr. Schmidt was a team doctor at Gerolsteiner when Bernhard Kohl and Stefan Schumacher tested positive in 2008.

The fact that Schmidt is still involved in professional sports is an absolute joke

I wonder how thins plays out with Aqua Blue and CCC.

Aqua Blues head of performance is still active in the peloton. Did CCC have their suspicions?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

godtabh wrote: »

The biopassport has never worked unless the athlete or doctor don't understand it, several reports of microdosing and timing to get around it.

The truth is, at that level, only blanket testing in and out of competition will work, and even then it still won't catch everyone. If a person will refuse to edit their Strava segments after "accidentally" getting a load of KOMs in their car, then imagine what a person whose very livelyhood relies on results will do to get up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Stefan was selling off frames in January, I had a few chats with him over the months. Sad to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

gman2k wrote: »
    Stefan was selling off frames in January, I had a few chats with him over the months. Sad to see it.
    Yeah you have to feel for the lads he's cheated out of wins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Shedite27 wrote: »

Alberto Contador at the Vuelta ...em

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Jaysus...Georg Preidler as well......
    Pop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Doc07

Dr. Schmidt was a team doctor at Gerolsteiner when Bernhard Kohl and Stefan Schumacher tested positive in 2008.

The fact that Schmidt is still involved in professional sports is an absolute joke

Agree but almost every team has DS’s, Managers, Doctors and even active cyclists from the ‘dirty era’. For example Orica green edge seemed cool and clean with their promotion of young talent and nice videos from the Tour but their management are dopers.
    Top level cycling is still filthy, just maybe not as filthy as the 90’s/2000’s. It’s maybe not as filthy as soccer or athletics but it’s still filthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Doc07

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

This should not be all over the web. I can see why they couldn’t resist but it’s typical crap journalism focusing on the minnow they have caught and ‘nothing to see here’ for all the actual winners , medalists. Also making individual examples out of whole corrupt systems is irresponsible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Doc07 wrote: »
    This should not be all over the web. I can see why they couldn’t resist but it’s typical crap journalism focusing on the minnow they have caught and ‘nothing to see here’ for all the actual winners , medalists. Also making individual examples out of whole corrupt systems is irresponsible.

The policeman is in trouble for sharing it apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Another bomb waiting to go off for the sport of cycling. Lots of talk on who may be next. People watching Twitter accounts and looking at who is and isn't tweeting etc.

Biological passport shown to be effectively useless again regarding Denifl and the skiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

CramCycle wrote: »
    The biopassport has never worked unless the athlete or doctor don't understand it, several reports of microdosing and timing to get around it.

The truth is, at that level, only blanket testing in and out of competition will work, and even then it still won't catch everyone. If a person will refuse to edit their Strava segments after "accidentally" getting a load of KOMs in their car, then imagine what a person whose very livelyhood relies on results will do to get up there.

This. There are countless gob****es cheating for no other reason than bragging to other fatties on a Sunday, if they are at it, the pros (probably the vast majority) are doing it.

Doc07 wrote: »
    Agree but almost every team has DS’s, Managers, Doctors and even active cyclists from the ‘dirty era’. For example Orica green edge seemed cool and clean with their promotion of young talent and nice videos from the Tour but their management are dopers.
    Top level cycling is still filthy, just maybe not as filthy as the 90’s/2000’s. It’s maybe not as filthy as soccer or athletics but it’s still filthy.

Its filthier imho.
    Soccer 'may' be worse, but the evidence isnt there to prove that. The reasons why that evidence isnt there is another debate.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

What? There are countless "Sunday morning fatties" doping? And bragging about it? Where is this?

What? There are countless "Sunday morning fatties" doping? And bragging about it? Where is this?

Cheating on strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Shedite27 wrote: »

Like Daniel Moreno on Stage 17 of the 2017 Vuelta, who Denifl dropped on a 25%+ climb.

https://www.velonews.com/stages/2017-vuelta-espana-stage-17

“I can’t believe it. I had super, super legs today. I was waiting the whole Vuelta for that day,” said Denifl. “Today I went all in. It’s amazing.”

Third week, two days after the rest day (traditional refill day).

https://tiz-cycling.racing/videos/la-vuelta-2017-stage-17-last-30-km/
    45:10 and then 48:46

Amazing indeed.

edit: although I don't feel too sorry for Moreno.
    https://www.dopeology.org/incidents/Operaci%C3%B3n-Chinatown/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Wonder would there have been suspicions of this in the UCI, hence Aquablue Sports struggle to get invites last year?!

Advertisement