Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish pro Conti team (aka The Aquablue thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Jaysus - team bus destroyed in arson attack

https://twitter.com/AquaBlueSport/status/903155176206368768

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Jaysus - team bus destroyed in arson attack

https://twitter.com/AquaBlueSport/status/903155176206368768

That is dreaful news

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

What possible motive , jaysus.

And them just establishing themselves. Hope it is not too big a setback but I'd fear it is.

That is a big cost in overall team running and with possible lags in insurance payouts etc, you'd worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Even apart from the costs it could take a considerable time to get a custom bus like that built.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Cannodales will soon be on the market.....I am sure they are not that hard to get...expensive is...but I don't think they will be that hard to get....
    this one was second hand. Was it not IAM cycling?

I am sure they are plenty more form other sports also....

A lot more expensive if ti was the mechanics truck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Thankfully nobody was injured.
    Whoever did it are fcukin' scumbag(s) .
    Hopefully the Spanish police will catch the perpetrator(s) and dish out some punishment. Those lads who control the crowd on the climbs look like they would do a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Keeks wrote: »
    Cannodales will soon be on the market.....I am sure they are not that hard to get...expensive is...but I don't think they will be that hard to get....

exactly, i think the buses were refurbs from some team that went to the wall last year. Tinkoff, maybe, seeing as they had luxembourg regs.

I saw a tweet just now saying lots of cars were burnt out as well, so it wasn't a targetted attack. Just some scumbag being a scumbag.

Thankfully nobody was injured.
    Whoever did it are fcukin' scumbag(s) .
    Hopefully the Spanish police will catch the perpetrator(s) and dish out some punishment. Those lads who control the crowd on the climbs look like they would do a good job.

They have someone in custody. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aqua-blue-sport-bus-target-of-arson-attack/

Nice to see tweets from Movistar and FDJ offering support if they need anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Surely sky and their hotel on wheels could offer a bit of help or space??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Keeks wrote: »

these are more than just a bus, its a mobile office, somewhere for riders to relax before and after a stage. a lot of the time they all use the same seat day in day out, it becomes a second home of sorts. OK they didn't have it for long so its still new enough space to them but at the same time it could be a major set back mentally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Doesn't Sky have a second race hub truck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

buffalo wrote: »

If ever there was an opportunity for sky to get some much needed good pr this would be it. They are surely the team best equipped to step in and help.
    They'll need to hide everything first tho :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I wonder if the suspect is a vigilante  anti-cycle lane parking cyclist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

terrydel wrote: »
    If ever there was an opportunity for sky to get some much needed good pr this would be it. They are surely the team best equipped to step in and help.
    They'll need to hide everything first tho :pac::D

Here here.. they should be on blower straight off to help out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

1bryan wrote: »

I wonder how it will affect recovery on long transfers. No showers. No cooking etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

buffalo wrote: »
    probably at the tour of britain

not much of a silver lining but the story got them almost 1000 extra twitter followers (they still have a surprisingly small number for pro cycling team)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

not much of a silver lining but the story got them almost 1000 extra twitter followers (they still have a surprisingly small number for pro cycling team)

Takes time to build followers base

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Look at that close knit team all sitting together and enjoying each others company. Wait a second...

Who's the trouble maker down the back or is he there to keep an eye out for more arsonists!?!

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Look at that close knit team all sitting together and enjoying each others company. Wait a second...

Who's the trouble maker down the back or is he there to keep an eye out for more arsonists!?!

If thats Dunne at that back it's likely the only seat on the bus bar the driver seat that he has leg room :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Portugese team LA Alumínios-Metalusa-Blackjack are sending their team bus to Aqua Blue to finish off the Vuelta:
    (Portugese site, but Google translate renders it into passable English)
    http://www.etaparainha.com/2017/09/la-aluminios-metalusa-blackjack.html?m=1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Melodeon wrote: »

no front derailleur? WHA?

What to do with your left hand??? :pac:

I've seen it on mtb's with SRAM gearing but don't think I have on a road one. Will they be the 1st team on disc breaks? A couple trialled them in the Tour this year, andre greipel was on discs I think.

I'm still absolutely fascinated by this bike. Interesting comments in this bikeradar review

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/3t-strada-review-51396/

particularly in relation to the gearing (cos that's the part I really can't get my head around).

I also wonder if it will need a thicker chain (similar to fixed fixed gear). Can't wait to see these things in action.

Also interesting that 3T's main (if not sole) online supplier will be aquablue.com as part of this deal. Those Delaneys are smart cookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I think I'd be quite happy owning a bike with no front derailleur. A 50 on front and 11-36 or even 11-32 rear would cover me for over 95% of the cycling I do and I could pull out another bike for the last 5%. As they say when it comes to lower gears I'm not too concerned with bigger jumps.

Particularly racing, most of the time I never go into the small ring. The number of gears has got ridiculous as the rear went from 8 -> 11 so was only ever a matter of time before the front drops to one ring. Trebles will become extinct, those who ride them now will move to 2 ring and others to 1 ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Will they be the 1st team on disc breaks?

No, Dutch Pro-Conti Team Roompot (former Orica Backstage Pass ledge Peter WeinDog rides for them) went all in on them at the start of last season. Then the suspension was passed after the rider's leg was cut, and they had to get new bikes.

I don't think that 1x will work for professional road racing. They can get the gearing for climbing or sprinting, but not both on the same bike. There's also the issue with getting the cadence control in the middle of the block.

Advertisement