Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish pro Conti team (aka The Aquablue thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

With the way things are going I see less space for the CX/gravel bike market. Why doesn't a manufacturer take the above bike and just make the spacing a little wider (in such a way to not completely negate the aero effect) so knobbly 32mm tyres can be fitted.

If you can get a bike like this under 7.5kg, aero and able to take a range of tyre widths you have pretty close to a one bike fits all scheme.

Or does such a bike currently exist ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

1bryan wrote: »
    I also wonder if it will need a thicker chain (similar to fixed fixed gear). Can't wait to see these things in action.

that would probably cause issues with neutral service wheels.

I think they say the bike will be modified so likely it will have a double chainring after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Thud wrote: »
    that would probably cause issues with neutral service wheels.

I think they say the bike will be modified so likely it will have a double chainring after all.

Should have no bearing on neutral service wheels unless they had to change the spacing of the sprockets on the cassette as well, and I don't think current 1x drivetrains have anything that exotic/specific? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

With the way things are going I see less space for the CX/gravel bike market. Why doesn't a manufacturer take the above bike and just make the spacing a little wider (in such a way to not completely negate the aero effect) so knobbly 32mm tyres can be fitted.

If you can get a bike like this under 7.5kg, aero and able to take a range of tyre widths you have pretty close to a one bike fits all scheme.

Or does such a bike currently exist ???

Not exactly what you're describing, but 8bar (A German bike frame builder) have made something along those lines
    https://www.bikerumor.com/2016/03/17/8bar-bikes-goes-truly-road-mitte-convertible-bike/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Brian wrote: »
    Not exactly what you're describing, but 8bar (A German bike frame builder) have made something along those lines
    https://www.bikerumor.com/2016/03/17/8bar-bikes-goes-truly-road-mitte-convertible-bike/

Fork swap wouldn't be for me, bit of an overkill. There probably is a aero carbon frame with discs out there that happens to have good frame clearance and comes in fairly light.

As an aside what is the story with disc brakes on the racing scene here. Does the fact that I've never seen discs explicitly mean they are banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Fork swap wouldn't be for me, bit of an overkill. There probably is a aero carbon frame with discs out there that happens to have good frame clearance and comes in fairly light.

As an aside what is the story with disc brakes on the racing scene here. Does the fact that I've never seen discs explicitly mean they are banned.

As far as I know the discs in road racing trial is still limited to pro peloton by UCI, if not specifically world tour races (though I think more likely the former), so definitely a no-go at the moment in amateur racing in Ireland. The Ras (and maybe Ras na mBan as well I guess) is probably about the only UCI race that might have been allowed them on Irish roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

The idea behind the 3T Strada is that is is only 1x, there is no front hanger.

Cycling Australia has allowed them for racing at all levels (Club -> UCI level).
    ABS would likely be starting their season in OZ, Tour Down Under, Cadel Evans Ocean Race and Herald Sun Tour.

I remember hearing that the Industry and Neutral Service have decided on 12mm axles and 160mm rotors.
    So AquaBlue's issue would be getting a cassette from Neural Service with the gear range they can use, I would suspect that the available cassettes would be 11-28.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Bit of a mad setup, cant see how it would be comfortable at the big differences in cadence! There must be big differences between teeth

cython wrote: »
    Should have no bearing on neutral service wheels unless they had to change the spacing of the sprockets on the cassette as well, and I don't think current 1x drivetrains have anything that exotic/specific? :confused:

my post was in response to 1Bryan's question on a thicker chain (similar to fixed gear), a thicker chain wouldn't work on an 11 speed cassette.

The idea behind the 3T Strada is that is is only 1x, there is no front hanger.

Cycling Australia has allowed them for racing at all levels (Club -> UCI level).
    ABS would likely be starting their season in OZ, Tour Down Under, Cadel Evans Ocean Race and Herald Sun Tour.

I remember hearing that the Industry and Neutral Service have decided on 12mm axles and 160mm rotors.
    So AquaBlue's issue would be getting a cassette from Neural Service with the gear range they can use, I would suspect that the available cassettes would be 11-28.

This article seemed to suggest they may adapt the bike:
    http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/aqua-blue-sport-ride-innovative-3t-strada-aero-bike-2018-352123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

cython wrote: »

the 1x11 groupsets use standard 11s spacing and chains so neutral service won't be a big issue as long as the disc/thru-axle setup is standard. Even a 11-28 cassette won't be a big issue IMO. Most of the time they swap back to team hardware as soon as a team car can get to them. They'd never finish a race on neutral service hardware

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

TychoCaine wrote: »
    the 1x11 groupsets use standard 11s spacing and chains so neutral service won't be a big issue as long as the disc/thru-axle setup is standard. Even a 11-28 cassette won't be a big issue IMO. Most of the time they swap back to team hardware as soon as a team car can get to them. They'd never finish a race on neutral service hardware

It still seems to take an age to change the disc wheels, Kittel rode one in a TDF stage and got a flat and they were fannying round for an age, luckily for him the race wasn't on at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

1248075250110.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Is that neutral support compatible?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they're being sponsored by ikea?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

How big is the chainring?

Also there's no way 1x isn't a disadvantage. I'm glad of my full range of gears at the piddling races I do, I can't imagine having to cope on a day that goes up and down alpine passes!

godtabh wrote: »
    Is that neutral support compatible?
    Probably compatible but you'd have to think a flat on a hill could cause problems if only wheels with 11-28 cassettes are available

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Those wheels are through-axle is as well.

I didn't think it would be possible to get so much stupid into one bike, but they've managed it.

It is an equipment sponsor's wet dream though. No way of fitting rim brakes or a front mech so you have to use it all.

• Advertisement

I wonder how good the deal with 3T is. It would want to be magnificent.

And definitely going to cost them races, which seems a pity given the success they've had this year so far.

It's so bad they clearly couldn't even get a graphic designer near the thing.

Wonder will they have an alternate bike for hilly stages etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Quick maths - (always risky !)

If they have a 9t sprocket, they would 'get away' with a 44t chainring if they want to run the equivalent of a 53 x 11. A 44t chainring with 32t sprocket then equates to approx. 34 x 25 with a compact or or 39 x 28 with standard set-up.

I doubt that many would want 34 x 25 to be the easiest gear on the hilly stuff..........

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Quick maths - (always risky !)

If they have a 9t sprocket, they would 'get away' with a 44t chainring if they want to run the equivalent of a 53 x 11. A 44t chainring with 32t sprocket then equates to approx. 34 x 25 with a compact or or 39 x 28 with standard set-up.

I doubt that many would want 34 x 25 to be the easiest gear on the hilly stuff..........

Taken from the link I posted above:
    How does a single ring drivetrain compare to a conventional drivetrain? Favourably, if you look at the numbers. Combine a 44t single chainring with an 11-36 cassette and you have a gear range from 33 to 108 inches. That’s very nearly the same as the 32.8 to 122.7 range that a conventional 50/34 and 11-28 setup provides, typical of many sportive bikes these days.

Taken from the link I posted above:

but the 108 vs the 122 will mean they'll have to pedal at a much higher cadence to keep up on the flat/fast bits

but the 108 vs the 122 will mean they'll have to pedal at a much higher cadence to keep up on the flat/fast bits

Pretty hard to be Adam Blythe on that thing, he'd need a bigger chainring to compete in the sprints you'd have to say? And he'd be compromising on easier gears on the way there.

It's the steep ascents and long descents where it could really hurt too, so compromised.

In fairness to it, ridiculous and all though it is for the job it's to do for Aquablue, it is a very pretty bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

How big can the front chain ring be? Can they make it bigger for a sprinter like Blythe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

nee wrote: »
    And definitely going to cost them races, which seems a pity given the success they've had this year so far.

It's so bad they clearly couldn't even get a graphic designer near the thing.

that success has been mostly in the hillier stages/races too.

Advertisement