Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Speed Conversion. Drive Side Crank???

Options
  • 03-10-2016 12:12pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭

.....so, if I was to convert a geared bike (Surly DT) to a single speed, do I, or can one buy a single ring ds crank without buying a complete crankset?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Planet X wrote: »
    .....so, if I was to convert a geared bike (Surly DT) to a single speed, do I, or can one buy a single ring ds crank without buying a complete crankset?
    Cheers.

If you have a compact with 110bcd these should work?

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/cyclocross-io-chainring-narrow-wide-style.htm

make chain less likely to slip off, I just fitted the mtb equivalent.

You might need different length bolts to attach ring.

Not sure how to get chain line right if you have a compact, I was converting a triple so easy enough. Pretty sure @Alek has done it with a cx bike.

You'll need to resize chain of course; I'll also fit a chain guide but you might get away with it if on road.

MTB's set up 1 by 10 usually have a clutch rd which with nw chainring is apparently bombproof

Advertisement