Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxious due to work - will this improve after I leave?

Options
  • 03-10-2016 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am working in a large organisation and am working at a professional grade. I have about many years experience in this area and I have always received positive feedback from previous employers. In my new role, a senior member of staff has taken great exception to me and is criticising absolutely everything I do right down to the turns of phrase I use when speaking and other trivial issues. It has caused me great stress as I am subjected to routine barrages of emails criticising my work with my colleagues and manager copied in. I have found this humiliating, particularly as I have spent a long time building up my experience and I was always well respected in other companies. I now hate checking my emails and literally check them with one eye closed in case it is a critical email from the person involved.

I am not too concerned about this job as I have already decided I want to leave, so I am not asking for advice about dealing with this member of staff or making my work life better.

What is more worrying for me is how this has affected my personality and my ability to work. I become distracted extremely easily now. It takes me about five times the length of time to even draft an email as I am constantly double and triple checking I have said everything exactly correctly save it will be criticised. This means I need to stay up until the early hours of the morning just to complete what used to be routine tasks. Worse still, I have found that I have become over anxious about life in general and I have began to doubt my ability to undertake general tasks which I was once quite confident in. I think I am always thinking the worst case scenario about routine tasks now.

I am wondering if anyone else has experience a similar situation in their change of mind-set and if things improved after they left the job? I wonder if I should take some time out between jobs of if this will give me more time to dwell on my “failures”?

Thanks for your help everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd suggest consulting with your doctor about this - you really need professional advice from a psychologist etc. Just because one person has experienced it getting better (or not), doesn't mean your circumstances are the same.

Good luck with finding a better position.

I'd suggest consulting with your doctor about this.........

I agree 100%

My sister was in a similar position as the OP, left the job, brought a case against the company for constructive dismissal or something along those lines and it was settled out of court.

So we thought all was well but unfortunately it wasn't, I won't go into details but as above OP, seek medical advise.

Also, fnck them ;)

Important to remember too.......
    Ocean123 wrote: »
    ........... my “failures”?

......... you are not the problem here in anyway, it's the senior member of staff is the problem.

You'll get there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Short answer is that yes, it absolutely can affect your frame of mind long-term. A family friend experienced severe bullying during a job at one time, which led to issues with her self-confidence and anxiety attacks and depression, which still continues now years after the incident.

As above, go get yourself professional help, if even just to work through your experience. No two people are the same.

Advertisement