Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Attic Conversion

Options
  • 03-10-2016 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

Finger in the air stuff I know, but am looking for some rough figures on an attic conversion similar to the attached image. We are purchasing a new house from the same builders that are building the house in the image. The layout is exactly the same with the same roof, the only exception being there won't be a window.

It would also have an ensuite bathroom and walking in ward robe.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So its just to add the dormer window?

Where is the development?

You will require Planning Permission before the works commence, but subject to the structural requirements there shouldn't be an issue. You would have to open up the roof/floor to determine bearing for the dormer window and connection to the roof but your Engineer will advise correctly on that.

I would throw a guess at 5-7k all in?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

kceire wrote: »

You will require Planning Permission before the works commence, but subject to the structural requirements there shouldn't be an issue. You would have to open up the roof/floor to determine bearing for the dormer window and connection to the roof but your Engineer will advise correctly on that.

that seems cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

No it's to do the full conversion.

The house is in Kill, Kildare. We could go with Velux windows instead of the dormer if it saved having to apply for planning permission.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

lawred2 wrote: »
    that seems cheap?

My understanding is that the attic is already converted as the OP says "The layout is exactly the same with the same roof, the only exception being there won't be a window"

But, below states....
    masterK wrote: »
    No it's to do the full conversion.

The house is in Kill, Kildare. We could go with Velux windows instead of the dormer if it saved having to apply for planning permission.

Velux to the rear will not require planning, if its for a full conversion, budget 20k as a guess without seeing access, drawings, spec etc

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

30k plus complete conversion.

• Advertisement

My understanding is that the attic is already converted as the OP says "The layout is exactly the same with the same roof, the only exception being there won't be a window"

But, below states....

Velux to the rear will not require planning, if its for a full conversion, budget 20k as a guess without seeing access, drawings, spec etc

Apologies, I was far from clear. I meant the size, dimensions, roof etc. are the same size but nothing has been converted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Apologies, I was far from clear. I meant the size, dimensions, roof etc. are the same size but nothing has been converted.

How big is your attic space out of interest? What's the floor to ceiling at the highest point?

We're looking at converting our own. It's 3.2m at the highest point with a roof slope of 30 degrees.

lawred2 wrote: »
    How bug is your attic space out of interest? What's the floor to ceiling at the highest point?

We're looking at converting our own. It's 3.2m at the highest point with a roof slope of 30 degrees.

At the highest point it's 2.44m, though the roof is squared off at the top internally so it's that height all the way across. The floor area is about 36sq metres, we haven't moved in yet, I'm just going off the plans.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

At the highest point it's 2.44m, though the roof is squared off at the top internally so it's that height all the way across. The floor area is about 36sq metres, we haven't moved in yet, I'm just going off the plans.

Is this a an engineered truss roof?

BryanF wrote: »

To be honest I have no idea. The house is not being marketed as being ready for an Attic conversion in any way so I suspect not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Finger in the air stuff I know, but am looking for some rough figures on an attic conversion similar to the attached image. We are purchasing a new house from the same builders that are building the house in the image. The layout is exactly the same with the same roof, the only exception being there won't be a window.

It would also have an ensuite bathroom and walking in ward robe.

Thanks in advance.
    'finger in the air stuff' ... but you are purchasing? Get an eng to advise as part of your pre-purchase due diligence. Have them confirm in writing whether it's suitable for an attic conversion, what to watch out for and talk to him/her about whether it's practical.
    BryanF wrote: »
    To be honest I have no idea. The house is not being marketed as being ready for an Attic conversion in any way so I suspect not.
    if it's a a prefabricated roof it will be more difficult to alter. If it's a site built 'cut roof' it may be a little easier to modify

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Some of these are mad, ive seen ones where is been cheaper to put an extension out the back than convert the attic spaces correctly.

I've had to put fire doors in some aswell to create a safe exit.

Advertisement