Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy or rent?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Alkers

Do you currently live alone or are you happy to house share? I would look into buying and then renting out a room or rooms. You can legally earn up to €12,000 each year tax free from doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Augmnt wrote: »
    Hi,

I am 32, single and currently renting\working in Dublin.

I have around 260k in savings and am thinking about buying a property in the 350-450 range to live in.
    Is this a good move the way property is right now? Mainly I don't want to rent anymore, its too much pain. Properties are overpriced and grim.
    But I don't really want to buy as its a bit of a commitment.

Any thoughts?, I was thinking about buying an apartment but prices look mad for modest places. Would it be silly to buy apartment in Dublin?.

260k savings what do you do for a living, thats some serious dollah

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

It's so variable though. To be fair he's said not council, not a bad area. SCR would satisfy that as would Rialto - apparently... There are also pockets of D7.

Would you, or more importantly the OP consider Kilmainham a bad area?

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/7-lorne-terrace-kilmainham-dublin-8/3742335?RegionId=1449&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=450000&MinBeds=&MaxBeds=&MinSize=&MaxSize=&MinEnergyRating=&Query=&PreSixtyThree=false&Page=&view=list

Personally I think it has it's moment s but overall I thought it was menat to be pretty good these days?

Kilmainham is not a "nicer area". It is a tolerable area. The city end of the SCR is good but nothing much there for €450. Apply this test. Would you allow your sister to walk from the nearest hotel to it at 12.00 on a Saturday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

Kilmainham is a really nice area. It's got the Royal Hospital, the museum of modern art, the Gaol, the War Memorial Park and a Hilton hotel. Newer 2 bed apartments there sell for over 300k and there are lovely big old red brick houses in the area that go for close to a million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Kilmainham is not a "nicer area". It is a tolerable area. The city end of the SCR is good but nothing much there for €450. Apply this test. Would you allow your sister to walk from the nearest hotel to it at 12.00 on a Saturday night?

Hilton to a few 100 yards from the Hilton, I think she'd be grand. If she existed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Kilmainham is a really nice area. It's got the Royal Hospital, the museum of modern art, the Gaol, the War Memorial Park and a Hilton hotel. Newer 2 bed apartments there sell for over 300k and there are lovely big old red brick houses in the area that go for close to a million.

Personally- I wouldn't care whether apartments in the area make 300k or not- or indeed, the presence of Kilmainham jail and the museum of modern art- I'd be far more likely to speak to the Garda Community Officer- and get a feel for the crime level in a particular area.

There are complete no-go streets within a half mile of Kilmainham- where anyone who knows the area at all simply avoids.

Personally- and while I accept that the Kilmainham area has been gentrified to a large extent- I'd avoid it if at all possible- in favour of somewhere where I felt safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

I've lived in Kilmainham for close to 10yrs so I think I'm more than qualified to say that it's a very safe area. It's one of the safest places I've ever lived and I'm originally from Clontarf. I assume you're referring to parts of Rialto/The Liberties when you say there are streets within half a mile from Kilmainham which are 'no-go' areas.

That's like saying Clontarf is a dive because it's within half a mile of East Wall/Northstrand. And Lucan is a dump because it's near Palmerstown. You're being a bit silly.

If you want to live in an area that's a 15 minute commute from the city centre then you'll have to accept that the good areas are side by side with the bad areas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It was more the streets adjacent to main street Inchicore I had in mind, but I take your point.........

The whole area has become gentrified to a certain extent- however, there are still areas you simply avoid.

Talk to the local Community Garda for more information.

Advertisement