Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a dog a buddy

• 03-10-2016 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭

DogFlitworth came to live with us about a year and a half ago and has so far been an only child. He loves other dogs more than anything else in the world. We've kept him as an only child because we currently live in a small terraced house with a back garden the size of a bath tub so two dogs would have been a bit overwhelming and we figured we'd need a bit more space if we were going to be introducing two dogs, in case they had a few issues in the 'getting to know youuu, getting to know all about youuuu' introductory phase

We're moving next month and we will have a garden and it seems like the opportune time to introduce a new pupster. The only issue being - we are expecting a baby in January. Not worried about extra mess or walks when the kid arrives because not sure the new dog could need more exercise or cause more mess than our current dude but am a little concerned because he currently is quite protective of me. We're careful not to encourage it but he has, for eg, bodyslammed his dog buddy out of my way when he ran in my direction looking for treats. No aggression or anything but he's just a bit angsty about anything happening to me.

I'm thinking

Pros: buddy for dog. Dog loves other dogs. I like dogs. New dog. Dog is happy with us but definitely happier when he's around other dogs.
    Cons: Dog slightly hormotional because of having pregnant me about, don't want to put him in a position where another dog on his patch raises that level on him. Also don't want to bring another dog into a situation where the resident dog is a meany to him.

Leaning towards 'should probably wait a while' but then I bring him to his minders and he literally tries to scrabble past my ear and out a closed car window to meet her dogs and I think, ahhh, he really needs a friend. Would you wait or plough on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

As you are aware of the issues you may come across... have you considered fostering? This will allow you to see how the dynamic changes in your home and if it doesn't work out, you haven't made a life long commitment to the new dog in your home. Another option is to temporarily look after a dog that belongs to a friend/family member that you and your pooch are both familiar with?

That said, there is no harm in waiting. :o

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Honestly? I would certainly wait a while. Until a few months at least after your baby arrives. You are going to be up to your eyes after you baby comes and throwing another dog in to the mix might not be the best timing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

andreac wrote: »
    Honestly? I would certainly wait a while. Until a few months at least after your baby arrives. You are going to be up to your eyes after you baby comes and throwing another dog in to the mix might not be the best timing.

This above. Have you got any children already? Because if not having a baby is a big upheaval & you will be shattered tired for the first few weeks/months so I think you are better off waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Speaking from the voice of experience, I would 100% wait until after the baby. Especially if it is your first. At this late stage a new dog is going to have a LOT to get used to in your current household dynamic and then his/her world will be turned upside down again when the baby comes. Your current dog will have the same problem getting used to having another dog in the house and then the added stress of a baby (and trust me, despite how a dog looks, babies Stress.Them.Out!)
    Congrats though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Yeah, I think yiz are all completely right! Our own poor doggy is quite stressed out just having me wandering around the place at the moment, can't imagine what it would do to Dog II to have a) new house, b) new co-canine, c) supremely harrassed human adults & then very shortly after arriving d) tiny little baby to deal with all at once.

Going to cut myself off from looking at pics of dogs needing homes for a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I'm wondering the same thing. I have a four year old terrier, who loves to play and mostly loves other dogs, though not so crazy about big ones. I work full-time and am permanently wracked with guilt when leaving him, but he's fairly chilled out about it, I think. He was 12 weeks old when I took him from the local pound and it's always been that way.

He's very bonded to me and I spend as much free time as possible with him. He's walked every day and also plays with ball (he's obsessed).

Should I consider getting a small female dog to keep him company? I'm conscious that it then becomes harder to get them minded for holidays etc. Not to mention managing them in the car, house (small), for walks etc. He's never been in kennels and I try and get him minded at home or he stays with good friends, that he knows and likes, but he still frets a bit when I'm away.

On the plus side, they have access to a cat flap and large secure rear garden. Oh and there's a 9 year old cat in residence too, who left home for six weeks when the dog moved in, returning thinner but otherwise healthy! She tolerates him but I don't want to stress her out if that's what a new dog would do.

Any thoughts? Also, pup or adult dog? I'd only get a rescue anyway but would be willing to wait for the right dog to come along.

Advertisement