Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casual subbing and social welfare

Options
  • 03-10-2016 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I'm an NQT and I'm doing a few days subbing here and there in different schools around Laois and Offaly. I went to my local Social Welfare office and they gave me the X's and O's forms to fill out each week to say which days I'm working. The only thing is, they want me to get a form signed by employer (presumably the Department of Education?) saying that I work for them and they also want an email from them saying so too. My question is, where do I send the form? And who do I email? They didn't know. Is anyone else in this situation who can help me out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Moved from Leaving Cert: Careers and Jobs Discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

colgan92 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm an NQT and I'm doing a few days subbing here and there in different schools around Laois and Offaly. I went to my local Social Welfare office and they gave me the X's and O's forms to fill out each week to say which days I'm working. The only thing is, they want me to get a form signed by employer (presumably the Department of Education?) saying that I work for them and they also want an email from them saying so too. My question is, where do I send the form? And who do I email? They didn't know. Is anyone else in this situation who can help me out?

The school stamps the form and you send it into the SW office every week. I queried this before and was told that the school is your employer and the department is only the paymaster. Its a terrible system and one that doesn't make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

The school stamps the form and you send it into the SW office every week. I queried this before and was told that the school is your employer and the department is only the paymaster. Its a terrible system and one that doesn't make sense.

Yes and it's been going on for decades (centuries!). The govt. provides 'for' education, the school provides the education.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Yes and it's been going on for decades (centuries!). The govt. provides 'for' education, the school provides the education.

Well its the school having to stamp the form to state that you were working - if you were working for a day - you probably will go over the amount you can earn and can't collect SW - why does it matter where you were working if you are not collecting for the week. Why can they just provide the school roll number? It is very disheartening after five/six years of study and have to claim SW and then have to ask secretary to stamp form - it may not matter to many but I hated doing it. There are people who never search for work and don't have to provide proof of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Well its the school having to stamp the form to state that you were working - if you were working for a day - you probably will go over the amount you can earn and can't collect SW - why does it matter where you were working if you are not collecting for the week. Why can they just provide the school roll number? It is very disheartening after five/six years of study and have to claim SW and then have to ask secretary to stamp form - it may not matter to many but I hated doing it. There are people who never search for work and don't have to provide proof of this.

I agree, thankfully it's been over 10 years since I had to endure the x's and o's. I remember having to explain each time what was going on (among all the long term dedicated unemployed!), eventually i got to know the right guy at the right hatch and he went out of his way to make things easy. a little easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Mayberry

It's grand to get the school to sign it for a week when you are actually subbing . However who signs it on weeks where you have no work at all and you are subbing in different schools

Mayberry wrote: »
    It's grand to get the school to sign it for a week when you are actually subbing . However who signs it on weeks where you have no work at all and you are subbing in different schools

Just fill it in as not working

Advertisement