Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Kelly Tour of the Midlands

Options
  • 03-10-2016 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Checking here to see if anyone took part in the above sportive in Tullamore yesterday, a group of us travelled to take part not having pre-registered as the website did say that registration was open on the morning. I know that the early bird registration was €35 for the 120k distance and following that the entry went up to €40 with no mention of registration cost on the morning. Anyway, at registration yesterday morning we had to pay € 50 to take part which I thought was a bit much, but we paid the money and did the event. We could of course refused to pay and cycled the route anyway and availed of the food stop and the refreshments at the end but we would not do this as it is for the Irish Heart Foundation. It was a very well run event and the weather of course played a part but for € 50 I thought it was a bit of a rip-off (we did get a t-shirt and got a photo with Sean Kelly but ...)
    Anyone else have a similar experience..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I would have walked away !
    Pieta house had its charity cycle last weekend, and it was €35 to enter !! There was so much resistance from local cyclists that the organiser had to say they would accept donations on the day! Still got a poor turnout !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Considering the GDBR was €40 and none of that goes to charity, being able to rock up on the morning and pay €50 for a well run event doesn't seem that bad.

I guess part of the pricing is knowing that someone who has gone to the trouble of getting up a stupid o'clock to travel to the start line is hardly going to put their bike back on the rack and drive home again, but I do agree, they should make it clear on the website that the cost on the day is significantly more than the early bird or the regular price.

Seeing my mate's photos yesterday evening made me fell a bit annoyed that I didn't plan this weekend properly and join him. Looked like a great spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

50 euro is ridiculous, no matter how well run the cycle is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

longshanks wrote: »
    50 euro is ridiculous, no matter how well run the cycle is.

Even more ridiculous when it was previously 35/40!
    Price gouging, simple as that. With absolutely no justification.
    At least half the events around now will disappear over the next few years, because they too bloody expensive. And I for one will have no sympathy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭jamesd

I paid the €40 with early registration and I dont mind that price but €50 is pricey alright. Its a nice cycle and marshalling is excellent and the food stops are well ran. Same with the photo with Sean Kelly is very nice to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Get a life its a good cause pay up and shut up if you want do do it. If you dont want to do it fine. Its a charity spin you are not obligated to do it.

As for not paying crashing the foodstops and meal at end OMG the bloody mind boggles.

God be with the days when most cyclists were decent skins and doing a run without paying was beyond the pale ....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

benneca1 wrote: »
    Get a life its a good cause pay up and shut up if you want do do it. If you dont want to do it fine. Its a charity spin you are not obligated to do it. ....
    I think the point the OP is making is that he travelled with others to the event and presumed it was €40 to register. It would be different if it was in his 'back yard'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭jamesd

€50 is a bit expensive though, €40 is my max for a sportive if for a charity and €45 if getting a jersey like the burren cycle.

Get a life its a good cause pay up and shut up if you want do do it. If you dont want to do it fine. Its a charity spin you are not obligated to do it.

As for not paying crashing the foodstops and meal at end OMG the bloody mind boggles.

God be with the days when most cyclists were decent skins and doing a run without paying was beyond the pale ....

Oh ...The outrage generation are out.
    :o

greenspurs wrote: »
    Oh ...The outrage generation are out.
    :o
    It's a disgrace Joe. On de roads they wur. Dey didn't pay a red cent, Joe.

• Advertisement

Eponymous wrote: »
    It's a disgrace Joe. On de roads they wur. Dey didn't pay a red cent, Joe.[/QUOTE

did anyone mention spray paint on the roads yet ????

*just asking :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

"get a life" eh?- there's a blast from the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

I take from comments above you both think its ok to turn up not pay and eat the grub. I suppose you shoplift in the local Topaz when youre out for a Sunday spin and thats fine too.

I take from comments above you both think its ok to turn up not pay and eat the grub. I suppose you shoplift in the local Topaz when youre out for a Sunday spin and thats fine too.

If you are gonna take from the comments, are you gonna pay ??

What a stupid point....

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭pedro_colnago

I think the op said he wasn't going to do that. So it's a bit histrionical on your behalf to say otherwise. Personally I think some sportifs are getting a bit too expensive whether charity based or not. ROK being one that immediately comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

I don't think that is what anyone is saying, I was happy to pay the 40 euro and take part, I have taken part in many sportives over the years and would never consider just turn up and not pay. Asking 50 euro is in my opinion is a bit rich when it was never mentioned beforehand. If you get off your high horse you would see that was my point (shoplifting is against the law by the way)...

Where did anyone say it was okay to take grub and not pay? Where did anyone say they did (or would) do that? Seriously, you need to read and think before you type.

Advertisement