Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whole apartment covered in mould HELP

Options
  • 03-10-2016 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey there. I started renting this apartment in July. The landlord said that he has to take 2 months deposit from me because the rent is cheap and tenants often leave without paying. I agreed to it.
    When I moved in the place seemed clean. The walls were freshly painted and it didn't smell like mould.
    But 2-3 later my drawers in the kitchen were completely covered in hairy mould. All my cutlery and pots.
    My clothes In the wardrobe were also mouldy. Same with the bathroom. All my make up brushes and my towels are mouldy.
    Anything I put on the counter in the kitchen and stays there for more than few days becomes mouldy

EVEN MY FRIDGE IS MOULDY!!!

I didn't pay rent this month so if I was to live out my deposit I could stay here till the beginning of December

But I was wondering if I found another place before my deposit is out, could I move out and demand my deposit back?

I'm disguised to eat anything here. And I have financial loss because of all my pots and clothing

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 BlueBrunette

Just to add, I was texting my landlord few times but he ignores my messages...

Please help :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

how does mold to this extreme happen, do you have a fire going?

cant be good for your health I get out as soon as you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Mould is caused by a combination of factors.

Generally in apartment living you have to take steps to prevent mould from happening. Plenty of ventilation, opening windows when cooking or in rooms where you are drying clothes. Keeping the place warm and not damp. Airing out bathrooms after use and using any fans available. Keeping vents open etc...

Have you been doing all of these things? If the landlord is not responding then i suggest you contact the PRTB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

Withholding your rent is illegal. Lodge a complaint with the RTB and move ASAP. Your health is the primary concern here.

• Advertisement

Yes I have been ventilating the rooms every day because I have a outdoor cat so they're open all the time.
    I use the heating for 2-3 hours every evening.

If I move out now, am I entitled to get my deposit back? It's 600e so I don't want to miss out on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

Re Deposit: That would be a matter for the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You withholding your deposit is illegal op, you owe your landlord the rent for the moment.

Open a case with the rtb, you need to get the mould sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Thread transferred to Accommodation

Im just after receiving mu deposit back. It took me nearly 2 months :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Im just after receiving mu deposit back. It took me nearly 2 months :/

Good to hear a positive outcome. Also, consider yourself lucky; 2 months is on the low side when it comes to disputes over the deposit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement