Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Camping in the Arran Islands

Options
  • 03-10-2016 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey, so a group of friends and I are poor and can barely afford the ferry trip to the Islands, but we still would love to spend a couple of days exploring them. We would like to wild camp, but have never been to the islands so we don't know what the situation is and if there are even any good spots. Does anyone know of any lovely camping places? We'd like to build a safe campfire and we keep our trash to ourselves. Thank you

Oh! Also, how do you get from one island to the next? Are there just a bunch of little ferry boats that take people? Does anyone know how much they cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

There is a ferry to Inisheer and Inishmaan that calls at both islands. Inishmore to the other 2 I don't know. Find the owner of a boat in the harbour or when the plane comes in ask at the airport they will usually be able to sort something out

There's a lovely wild camping sport on Inishmaan in between the dunes beside the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

A few enterprising farmers on each of the islands let out their fields as campsites - about a fiver a night if memory serves. As for getting from one island to the next, the ferries do a run between the islands before turning around for the mainland - if you ask anyone there, they'll tell you the times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Seeing as this has been resurrected I can speak for Inis Oirr only as I've not visited the other islands but I've been going to Inis Oirr for 20 years.

No real spaces for actual wild camping on Inis Oirr. There is a campsite which is quite nice - I've spent a week on it before. Very basic but is decent, flat, ground, has running water and stone altar fires and toilet/shower block beside it. I think it's a tenner a night per tent though it might be a little less. You don't need to book - just rock up and pitch and Pat from the Co-op will appear at some stage to get money off you. All other areas are privately owned - but tbh the campsite is fine as it's right beside the beach and a 5 minute walk from the village (shop and pubs).

As for getting there and between islands you can go from Doolin in Clare or Rossaveale in Galway. The Galway boat runs twice a day for each route - 1 is Inis Mor only and the other is Inismaan and Inis Oirr. From Doolin there are a few companies running from the pier. Plenty of boats to go on - I always use O'Brien Line myself but they're all about the price - about 20 return. First drop would be Inis Oirr. Then some of them go on to Inis Maan or Inis Mor. They all do combo tickets I think.

Advertisement