Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W200 survey....

Options
  • 03-10-2016 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Anyone else complete it?
    I'm not surprised they sent one around this year, it seems to me they've noticed a lot of the negativity about this year's event and are trying to act upon it.

For me, it was by far the poorest of the 7 sportives I did this summer.
    Poor refreshments at the top of the 3 main climbs, fecking soup at the finish (no real food after 200k is a joke!), crappy souvenir medal etc

What struck me most about the survey was that they seem to be toying with the idea of chip timing as a way to offer extra value. For me this is completely against the spirit of what a sportive should be, and further more, given everyone these days is using gps/strava whatever, then what is the point of chip timing anyway? What you have on your own bike will be better. Pointless, against the spirit of the the event and only likely to drive up the cost.
    If they bring that in they wont be getting my custom ever again.
    Opinions?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

To be honest, if you're unhappy with the goods and food a sportive provides then don't do them.

I fail to see the attraction of a sportive anyway. If I wanted to cycle 200 km around Wicklow I'd much prefer to do it on a Tuesday morning than a day when there's thousands of others on the road. Then I'd go home for dinner and give direct feedback on the food provided without the need for an online survey. I would then get the silent treatment.

Surely if you are doing a sportive you are doing it to support a charity. I'd want the organisers to maximise the money going to charity, rather than providing me with a meal. I can buy a meal or get one at home.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Is there really any point in a chip on such an event when you're climbing off the bike for water/food at intervals along the way.

At least Strava Auto-pauses so you have the advantage of being able to see your time in the saddle rather than your time elapsed.

As a newb to cycling some of the feedback offered by friends who've done it on several editions wasn't positive and would make me think twice about doing it - because all that climbing on it's own isn't enough.

I think I'll keep a watching brief on this and look at doing other events instead. My LBS organises spins on Sportive routes during the spring/summer too, so you can do the routes without the crowds (and without the support, I guess).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

terrydel wrote: »
    Anyone else complete it?
    The 200 or the survey? :D

Haven't had a chance to complete the survey yet, and tbh I'm not thinking of doing it next year. Well next year at least. I've done two sportives, so not sure I'm adding much value anyway, but...
    • I didn't really have an issue with the refreshments on the road - got water when I needed it, which was all I was expecting. Didn't stop at the top of the gap, got water on Slieve Maan and didn't stop on top of Shay as so close to Rathdrum anyway.
    • I thought the food stops were fine - as good as, if not better, than the ROK which was my other sportive anyway!
    • Most events/ races, I don't really go for food at the end, as most of the time it isn't great recovery food and I'd rather look after myself.
    • I had more issue with the queue's at the end (and the fact that people who did the 100 got the same medal and cert, without the same suffering!)
    • Chip timing doesn't really add anything, except I suppose it would get rid of the queues at the end. They do publish times, but it's based on registration time and at the end, so that's even more pointless (I went back to my car after registering, spent time with the wife and kids before signing back in, so at least with a chip time it would be actual on the road time!).

So that's a long winded way of saying I don't think I'm experienced enough to be damning or not! I'm more inclined to do the 200 again than the ROK if that's any help to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Brian? wrote: »
    To be honest, if you're unhappy with the goods and food a sportive provides then don't do them.

I fail to see the attraction of a sportive anyway. If I wanted to cycle 200 km around Wicklow I'd much prefer to do it on a Tuesday morning than a day when there's thousands of others on the road. Then I'd go home for dinner and give direct feedback on the food provided without the need for an online survey. I would then get the silent treatment.

Surely if you are doing a sportive you are doing it to support a charity. I'd want the organisers to maximise the money going to charity, rather than providing me with a meal. I can buy a meal or get one at home.

I agree on the charity aspect, but to the best of my knowledge, the W200 is not supporting any charity, therefore I think it's justified to be a bit critical of where my hard-earned few quid goes.
    As for doing the route on a Tuesday, well like most people, the opportunity for that is few and far between for me, due to the confines of 9-5 slavery :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Chip timing helps the Organizers know where riders are on the route so they can plan accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Chip timing helps the Organizers know where riders are on the route and so they plan accordingly.

They also come in handy for insurance purposes...

example. On the Marmotte in France, if you don't arrive at the last check point before a set time, your no longer considered to be a participant in the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I agree on the charity aspect, but to the best of my knowledge, the W200 is not supporting any charity, therefore I think it's justified to be a bit critical of where my hard-earned few quid goes.
    It supports the IVCA, which as I understand it does do a fair amount to support cycling in Ireland, and particularly young cyclists through sponsorship and grants. So not for charity, but not 100% for profit or administration funds either.

As for doing the route on a Tuesday, well like most people, the opportunity for that is few and far between for me, due to the confines of 9-5 slavery :p

I thought the money was given to charity by the IVCA? Am I wrong?

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've done the WW200 six times to date. Main reason I do it is to give myself a bit of a kick in the ass to get some proper distance and hills into the legs for the summer. I don't bother with the food, but found the water situation quicker than previous years and they even had enough medals to go around at the end so all good. In terms of quality and value, the Reservoir Dog and Orwell Randonee are far superior but I still enjoy the WW200 for all that. Keep meaning to do the MB200 instead, but never seem to have the fitness organised in time.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I thought the money was given to charity by the IVCA? Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong!

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Yes, you are wrong!

Care to elaborate?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

I replied suggested mass start in waves like etape caledonia at least if you get dropped you pick up the next group. The start had 0 stmosphete

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Care to elaborate?
    The money does not go to charity. It goes into general IVCA funds. Yes the IVCA does support the Junior Tour, the Ras na mBan and a youth event. I am not aware of any material charitable donations though.

Beasty wrote: »
    The money does not go to charity. It goes into general IVCA funds. Yes the IVCA does support the Junior Tour, the Ras na mBan and a youth event. I am not aware of any material charitable donations though.

I knew it went on the above, but I thought they made some charitable donations as well. Every day's a school day.

they/them/theirs

I knew it went on the above, but I thought they made some charitable donations as well. Every day's a school day.
    TBH I think they(/we!) should plough more back into cycling. The "rainy day" fund is unlikely to take much of a hit even from the likes of Hurricane Matthew!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Filled the survey in a few weeks ago.

Gave my honest feedback - appreciation for the marshaling and the workers at the foodstops and honest feedback where I thought they might improve.

Whilst I agree with Brian? that I can do ( and sometimes do) long spins solo , I find some sportives give a certain structure to the year.

Plus, whilst plodding up Slieve Mann I fell into the company of a guy who kept muttering the same word every time a young fella raced past. Took me several goes before I realised what he was saying. As one sprightly lad danced past I caught him saying to himself " Motor".
    You don't usually get a laugh like that on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Don't the majority of sportives get all their food sponsored ? Any I know of do.
    People can be after travelling a long distance to do these (charity) events.
    The least cyclists can expect after showing support and turning up , is a decent amount of food !!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »
    Don't the majority of sportives get all their food sponsored ? Any I know of do.
    People can be after travelling a long distance to do these (charity) events.
    The least cyclists can expect after showing support and turning up , is a decent amount of food !!

Do they? I honestly don't know. I'm not familiar enough with them.

To me the idea of doing a sportive was to support a charity. The only ones I've ever done were to do so, this doesn't appear to be the point of the WW200. If raising money for charity is not the goal, then the participants are customers and should be treated that way. If they want food, the organisers should provide it. If not then everyone should vote with their feet(or wheels) and not sign up.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

To me the idea of doing a sportive was to support a charity. The only ones I've ever done were to do so, this doesn't appear to be the point of the WW200. If raising money for charity is not the goal, then the participants are customers and should be treated that way. If they want food, the organisers should provide it. If not then everyone should vote with their feet(or wheels) and not sign up.

With respect, if I want to pay for food, I'll go to a restaurant. If I want to have a challenging social day on the bike, I'll do a sportive. If it raises money for charity, that's great, but unless it was a cause particularly close to my heart, I'd be lying if I said that was what motivated me to participate. Great route and friendly crowd are the main things and everything else is just icing on the cake, though the lads and ladies of Blessington and Orwell could give the IVCA a few lessons on icing cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It's a nice thing to take part in a mass event of course for lots of people. Personally I'd find it difficult to motivate myself to do 200k on a tuesday. I'd be much more inclined to do it having signed up to a challenge and having others around participating adds a bit of interest and occasion to the day.

With regard to the w200 specifically, it's an odd one. It's a fund raiser for the IVCA and a successful one, but they don't seem to be eager to actually do anything with the money. And also, it's a complete anomaly for the IVCA members because if you're a member of the organisation IVCA member you (essentially) can't participate. IVCA members do all the marshalling and you have to pay quite an amount to not do the marshalling, and then you'd still have to pay the entry fee to do the event.

So you're a member of an organisation involved in running a big sportive, but you can't do the sportive (really) and you derive no benefit from the funds raised. It's an odd one.

I think they'd be better forgetting about making profit from it, and make it a day out for IVCA members and others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

fat bloke wrote: »
    It's a nice thing to take part in a mass event of course for lots of people. Personally I'd find it difficult to motivate myself to do 200k on a tuesday. I'd be much more inclined to do it having signed up to a challenge and having others around participating adds a bit of interest and occasion to the day.

So you're a member of an organisation involved in running a big sportive, but you can't do the sportive (really) and you derive no benefit from the funds raised. It's an odd one.

I think they'd be better forgetting about making profit from it, and make it a day out for IVCA members and others.

Many changes to the IVCA for 2016 and the benefit to the association of same does not seem wholly positive.

New crew looking after Wicklow 200 this year and standards seem to have declined by all accounts.😪

Profits raised from the WW200 keep the IVCA functioning and support many Irish cycling events on a yearly basis. There was a reneging of this position for 2016 but I presume the membership rightified that situation at their recent AGM.

In my opinion it would be better for the WW200 to continue making profit and therefore permit the IVCA to continue supporting Irish cycling events monetarily.
    Budgets for these events are very tight, as I am sure most people would realise, and the IVCA funding is crucial to their successful continuance.

Cyclists supporting cyclists/cycling sounds like a win win to me!ðŸ‘

Advertisement