Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor bikes (brands, makes, models)

Options
  • 03-10-2016 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So I'm new to motor bikes; recently got an "A" endorsement from passing the theory test.

So, I'm wondering what anyone considers the best brands, makes, models.
    For reliability, safety, not needing tons of maintenance or not having parts that wear out too fast. (Don't want a good buying price just to waste a small fortune on maintenance of course!)
    And of course, best ones for the dreaded insurance prices (for a driver over 24, female).

A friend said pretty much anything by Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, or Kawasaki is fine since they're simple machines and the manufacturers have done them so many years they have it down to a science. Also, it's easy to get parts for them.

I'm looking at the ones listed on RSA as allowed for the practical test.
    I assume BMW, Ducati, and Peugot cost too much (I'm a college student).
    Not familiar with Aprilia, Benelli, Buell, Big Bear, or Cagiva. Husqvarna, KTM, Moto-Guzzi, Moto-Morini, MV Agusta, Triumph, or Victory.
    And I've been told Harley-Davidson is all image but doesn't make good bikes.

Would appreciate any feedback or advice. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The majority of the American, European and Japanese bikes are fine, they all have novice friendly bikes. It just depends what style of bike you want sports, touring, dual terrain or uncomfortable and impractical The quality of their dealers is a different matter

The Chinese bikes are cheaper but their quality is still not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭amacca

Its hard to just say one make is reliable and thats it....I suppose some of what what OP says is broadly true....but you can't tar each of the makes with one just brush given some models can be brilliant and some not so much and also that so much of what people come up with can be subjective

Years ago if Id listened to what people told me about ducatis Id never have even looked at one......years of mostly trouble free motorcycling later (electrics included despite some funny methods of wiring things).....

How about you narrow it down to a style OP, pick one or two bikes from each manufacturer within budget and post a short list here or post a link to what the RSA says are o.k. for the test, you might stand more of a chance of getting some opinions then......Id be surprised if it didn't at least polarise opinions....people will definitely tell you what they hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My CBT instructor said that jap bikes are fragile when you drop them and German bikes are expensive when they go wrong.

Lumen wrote: »
    My CBT instructor said that jap bikes are fragile when you drop them and German bikes are expensive when they go wrong.

The only bikes that aren't fragile when dropped are proper off road bikes and even they can break levers which can leave you stuck up a mountain with no brakes.

There's a reason why nearly all seasoned bikers have crash bobbins and crank case protection on their bikes regardless of make.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

All bikes are expensive when they go wrong! But tbh, if you're starting out, your mate is right. Stick with Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha.
    Yamaha being the coolest obviously

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Cienciano wrote: »

But you meet the nicest people on a Honda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Ducati and KTM are ****

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

batman_oh wrote: »
    Ducati and KTM are ****

I wouldn't say they are ****e but they do need a bit more care and attention than the average Japanese machine.
    Best to start with a bike that won't need constant fettling otherwise you can get turned off with the maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I wouldn't say they are ****e but they do need a bit more care and attention than the average Japanese machine.
    Best to start with a bike that won't need constant fettling otherwise you can get turned off with the maintenance.

When you say care you mean ridiculously temperamental and unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

listermint wrote: »
    When you say care you mean ridiculously temperamental and unreliable.

LOL yeah but in a nice way.
    Not every KTM or Duke is like that, a lot depends on the state of tune of a particular model.
    But in general a Japanese bike will be tuned for reliability over outright performance and that polarises riders to either despise them for not performing the same as a KTM/Ducati out of the box or loving them for their reliability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

There are very few brands that are cr@p.

I'd buy anything from the usual Japanese ones (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki) and I'd buy a Ducati, BMW, KTM, Triumph and even a Harley (when I get old enough!).

My fav are Yamaha. Love the styling. And know them so well re maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

What are KTM like these days ? I'm thinking about one.

D3V!L wrote: »

I've a 990 SMT for the last few years and it's been fine, a friend has a had couple of Dukes and no issues with them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Cienciano wrote: »
    All bikes are expensive when they go wrong! But tbh, if you're starting out, your mate is right. Stick with Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha.

This ^^^.

I wouldn't dream of anything else as a starter bike.

And whatever you do don't chance breaking your heart (and bank) with a BMW.. I did, and it broke me. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

D3V!L wrote: »

Reasonable depending on what you are doing. I know 2 people that blew up RC8's from ragging them. I've had a 990SMR for the guts of 4 years of hard abuse and it's been fine and a 950 that gave a couple of silly problems before that.
    The 990's seem solid engine wise but with the odd exception. There are a few known niggles with certain models. The singles wouldn't be something you would be piling on hard miles with.

Most will need good care if using all year round as the finish on the bolts and metal surfaces is pretty garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

batman_oh wrote: »
    Most will need good care if using all year round as the finish on the bolts and metal surfaces is pretty garbage.

Sure he'll be only keeping it for a few months!:pac:

Advertisement