Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which power calculator?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You're using the BC one wrong. FTP is not CP20.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Lumen wrote: »
    You're using the BC one wrong. FTP is not CP20.

What do you mean?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

He maybe referring to the difference between a 20 min test and 60 min test.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

But the British Cycling site asks for "Average Power from 20 minute test"?

TP asks you to input threshold power. Is that 95% of your 20 min test?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

mathie wrote: »
    What do you mean?...the British Cycling site asks for "Average Power from 20 minute test"?

Exactly. The BC calculator gives 216-256 if you enter 300 into the field "Average Power from 20 minute test". You wrote "300 watts FTP". If you put 285W into the field you get 205-243W.

Regarding the differences, it's possibly just differences in zone definition. Sports science attracts thickies so there's loads of conflicting information around (I'm not claiming to be smarter, I'm also too stupid to be a real scientist).

I'm not a fan of the 95% rule. If you want to know your exact FTP do a 1hr interval/TT and if you want to know your exact thresholds do a lab test or estimate the by feeding a couple of different length maximal intervals into the Golden Cheetah CP curve. If you're not going to be doing hour-long intervals then what's the point in knowing your FTP anyway?

I'd just use the zone definitions from whatever training plan you're trusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lumen wrote: »
    Exactly. The BC calculator gives 216-256 if you enter 300 into the field "Average Power from 20 minute test". You wrote "300 watts FTP". If you put 285W into the field you get 205-243W.

Regarding the differences, it's possibly just differences in zone definition. Sports science attracts thickies so there's loads of conflicting information around (I'm not claiming to be smarter, I'm also too stupid to be a real scientist).

I'm not a fan of the 95% rule. If you want to know your exact FTP do a 1hr interval/TT and if you want to know your exact thresholds do a lab test or estimate the by feeding a couple of different length maximal intervals into the Golden Cheetah CP curve. If you're not going to be doing hour-long intervals then what's the point in knowing your FTP anyway?

I'd just use the zone definitions from whatever training plan you're trusting.

To do effective training, surely? You don't need to do hour long intervals in order to make use of knowing your FTP.

Advertisement