Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAW Superthread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Foolish comment but I could go both ways on whether it was a slip from Ronda or Vince's idea.

Why is it foolish?

It's a TV show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

sirmanga wrote: »
    Why is it foolish?

It's a TV show.

Foolish because there's already that air about Ronda that she can batter anyone on the roster given her background. As in yes she could actually kill Becky Lynch but now she's gone and said it out loud. We didn't have to hear her say it.

Maybe I'm reading into it too much but Becky looked legitimately pissed off when Ronda said it as well.

Nah, I don't see the problem with her saying it. She could kill Becky, her saying it makes it more realistic. Why wouldn't Rousey believe she could kill any woman on the roster?

Also, if Becky is such a hard man, why is she challenging the Raw champion? She got beaten by Asuka at Rumble.
    So she couldn't get the job done on Smackdown and instead of using he using her title shot to face Asuka in a rematch, she leaves SD like a coward.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Nah, I don't see the problem with her saying it. She could kill Becky, her saying it makes it more realistic. Why wouldn't Rousey believe she could kill any woman on the roster?

Also, if Becky is such a hard man, why is she challenging the Raw champion? She got beaten by Asuka at Rumble.
    So she couldn't get the job done on Smackdown and instead of using he using her title shot to face Asuka in a rematch, she leaves SD like a coward.

Ah that's normal booking though, like wasn't Lashley losing to Balor only a couple of months ago (or even less)? And now suddenly he's this dominant behemoth over him....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Officer999

I still think Charlotte is getting added to it to make it a triple threat.

I mean they're not gonna have Asuka vs Charlotte in a repeat Wrestlemania match again

Necro wrote: »
    Ah that's normal booking though, like wasn't Lashley losing to Balor only a couple of months ago (or even less)? And now suddenly he's this dominant behemoth over him....

Oh indeed, it's standard WWE booking nonsense.
    But it doesn't make it right.

I'm just saying, Becky, as The Man, 2019's Steve Austin, shouldn't have tapped out to Asuka. And if it was absolutely necessary for Becky to lose, she should be seeking a rematch with Asuka instead of jumping to another show.

WWE could have got to Rousey vs Becky at Mania somehow. They could have made it creative and personal. But instead they just went with the old boring "Rumble win leads to Mania shot leads to sign pointing" rubbish.

Oh indeed, it's standard WWE booking nonsense.
    But it doesn't make it right.

I'm just saying, Becky, as The Man, 2019's Steve Austin, shouldn't have tapped out to Asuka. And if it was absolutely necessary for Becky to lose, she should be seeking a rematch with Asuka instead of jumping to another show.

WWE could have got to Rousey vs Becky at Mania somehow. They could have made it creative and personal. But instead they just went with the old boring "Rumble win leads to Mania shot leads to sign pointing" rubbish.

I'd agree that there was no need for Becky to tap out to Asuka, it was a lazy finish that hurt her character more than it strengthened Asuka imo.

I think the Rousey/Becky angle is in some way organic though, growing with the help of Becky missing the Survivor Series match. So while it doesn't make much sense I'm more forgiving of it than...

Triple H shedding crocodile tears over his 'son' Seth that he beat the sh1t out of not even two years ago :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Becky vs Ronda legitimately is the hottest feud currently. The fact they genuinely have a natural women’s feud that could main event Mania, that the crowd will invest in heavily, should mean it stays one on one. I’d say they are chomping at the bit to let two women close the show, and since this feud has fallen into their laps, I’d be shocked if it doesn’t.

Charlotte vs Asuka writes itself too. Charlotte wants the SD women’s title. Asuka wants to have a rematch with the one blemish in her record. A rematch WHERE AUSKA WINS would be a great story to tell.

Overall after that...typical Raw. Finn vs Lashley should be fine. Rollins va Brock should be ok, but I hated Rollins basically no selling four F5s. Double J returning is....unexpected, and not a fan of flipping Elias back to heel to face a good guy JJ.

Also, don’t mind Becky tapping to Auska.

It served a short term story (Becky’s loss pushed her towards the Rumble, and pushed her towards fighting through the injury to win), it will be forgotten in the short term, but it gives a future Becky vs Asuka story something to work with as well (I’d bet Asuka will have a “I beat Becky and she fled from me” line this week). It made Asuka look strong and the crowd were still hungry for a Becky Rumble win after it.

It served its purpose.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Becky vs Ronda legitimately is the hottest feud currently. The fact they genuinely have a natural women’s feud that could main event Mania, that the crowd will invest in heavily, should mean it stays one on one. I’d say they are chomping at the bit to let two women close the show, and since this feud has fallen into their laps, I’d be shocked if it doesn’t.

Charlotte vs Asuka writes itself too. Charlotte wants the SD women’s title. Asuka wants to have a rematch with the one blemish in her record. A rematch WHERE AUSKA WINS would be a great story to tell.

Overall after that...typical Raw. Finn vs Lashley should be fine. Rollins va Brock should be ok, but I hated Rollins basically no selling four F5s. Double J returning is....unexpected, and not a fan of flipping Elias back to heel to face a good guy JJ.

Yeah I think the Asuka/Charlotte rematch works organically as well as Lord details above. I know people think that they'll add Charlotte to the match and make it triple threat but where does that leave:
    The losers post Mania? On Raw? On Smackdown? What about the title does it switch to Smackdown in that case?
    Who does Asuka face at Mania that's a legit threat to her?

It's easy, solveable and people will WANT to watch both matches.

As for JJ returning, he looked in pretty good shape imo. But you just know it's going to lead to a bunch of legends beating up Elias and then JJ hits him with a guitar for revenge.

• Advertisement

My problem with the Becky Rousey booking is that it's only the day after the Rumble and they have already started the feud. WWE are rubbish at long term booking. So this feud will probably peak in a few weeks.

Now we will have in ring promos, sour puss facial expressions, pointing to the Mania sign, all for the next few months.

It would have been interesting to see a different spin on it. We get this storyline every year.

They could have started the feud at Fast Lane, or whatever the next PPV is. Somehow make it personal. Have Rousey invading SD to get Lynch and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ronda really turned that around, credit to her. The pre-match promo was painful viewing but she killed it post-match. So did Becky. If you told me even two years ago women would main event Mania, I would've rolled my eyes but now I want it. It's a great feud, even if they add Charlotte in somewhere down the line.

Plus I'm just not invested in "Beastslayer" Rollins. WWE had a headline "Rollins hit with 6 F5s but he's still standing!" Stupid. Go away.

What's with the Nia stuff? Testing the waters for intergender wrestling?

J. Marston wrote: »
    Ronda really turned that around, credit to her. The pre-match promo was painful viewing but she killed it post-match. So did Becky. If you told me even two years ago women would main event Mania, I would've rolled my eyes but now I want it. It's a great feud, even if they add Charlotte in somewhere down the line.

Plus I'm just not invested in "Beastslayer" Rollins. WWE had a headline "Rollins hit with 6 F5s but he's still standing!" Stupid. Go away.

What's with the Nia stuff? Testing the waters for intergender wrestling?

Did he actually say he was going to face Lesnar after all the talk all night - that was the weirdest thing. Why even bother bringing DB over at all.

I'd have preferred him heading to Smackdown to face Bryan tbh, not sure who he faces at Mania as things stand.

Elimination Chamber I suppose will decide that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ronda v Becky.

It must main event IMO.

not even an ounce of doubt in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

SlickRic wrote: »
    Ronda v Becky.

It must main event IMO.

not even an ounce of doubt in my mind.

Yep, i see others mentioning adding charlotte, i strongly disagree and really hope they keep her away from this, because nothing and nobody comes close to these two and this match, i think becky needs new music though, needs a more badass theme

Yep nothing and nobody comes close to these two and this match, i think becky needs new music though, needs a more badass theme

I dunno, I've been humming along to her tune all morning :pac:

Fans seem to like the:

'WOAH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH!' part anyways.

But agreed on the sentiment it has to be one on one, and it has to main event Mania.

They won't get a better chance to justify the women headlining Mania imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Well meltzers reporting this morning
    that Charlotte will still be added

sky88 wrote: »
    Well meltzers reporting this morning
    that Charlotte will still be added

if that happens, honestly, it would be the stupidest thing they could do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I dunno, I've been humming along to her tune all morning :pac:.

Ha, same here, but i just think it doesnt suit her more serious, ass kicking character

• Advertisement

Does Meltzer still have cred in reporting stuff though? Wasn't he reporting Rousey leaving after Mania a week back too. I guess I'm just wondering if he's got as much inside info as he used to have or is he making stuff up now for sh1ts and giggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Does Meltzer still have cred in reporting stuff though? Wasn't he reporting Rousey leaving after Mania a week back too. I guess I'm just wondering if he's got as much inside info as he used to have or is he making stuff up now for sh1ts and giggles.

his credibility has taken a hit for sure as his sources have dried up and his bias to ones who are his sources/friends but in fairness just take everything with a pinch of salt

I'd imagine Charlotte will definitely be added to the match, simply due to the fact that's it's still only January and Mania is on in April.

If it was gonna be just Becky and Rousey I think WWE would have drawn out the story a bit longer. Have Becky on SD talk about how she thinks she'll choose Asuka at Mania to avenge her Rumble loss. Have Rousey on Raw say that she doesn't have an opponent for Mania because Becky is scared. Have this go on for a few weeks until Becky shows up on Raw to a huge pop.

The fact that they rushed it suggests Charlotte will be added. Otherwise, what are they gonna do? Have Becky and Rousey do promos on each other for the next two months?

How does she get added that doesn't seem very forced?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I'd imagine Charlotte will definitely be added to the match, simply due to the fact that's it's still only January and Mania is on in April.

If it was gonna be just Becky and Rousey I think WWE would have drawn out the story a bit longer. Have Becky on SD talk about how she thinks she'll choose Asuka at Mania to avenge her Rumble loss. Have Rousey on Raw say that she doesn't have an opponent for Mania because Becky is scared. Have this go on for a few weeks until Becky shows up on Raw to a huge pop.

The fact that they rushed it suggests Charlotte will be added. Otherwise, what are they gonna do? Have Becky and Rousey do promos on each other for the next two months?

Post RR raw is the place to have Becky face off with Rousey if it is in running for main event.

They can both have new opponents between now and then.

This feud is already months in the making so last night is just another stage of the build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

How does she get added that doesn't seem very forced?

Ronda says she wants Becky 100% for the match. Charlotte starts attacking Becky repeatedly, leading to Ronda making a save. Turns Charlotte heel, and gives her an "in" to the match.

I hate the idea of this being a triple threat. Just give use one on one for fúcks sake. Charlotte doesn't need to be included in every single big women's moment Vince.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There is no way a woman's match headlines WM with Charlotte involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Imagine rewinding 2 years and being told that all chat after the rumble would be about the women, you'd have been laughed at. A one on one has to be the match, there's no need whatsoever for Charlotte to be involved and if she is, what for Asuka?

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Ronda says she wants Becky 100% for the match. Charlotte starts attacking Becky repeatedly, leading to Ronda making a save. Turns Charlotte heel, and gives her an "in" to the match.

I hate the idea of this being a triple threat. Just give use one on one for fúcks sake. Charlotte doesn't need to be included in every single big women's moment Vince.

I don't like the idea of Ronda saving Becky. It isn't really a "respect" feud where that would work well. They hate each other and should keep that up.

I'm guessing Charlotte gets all entitled tonight and says Becky shouldn't have been in the Rumble and she should've won, demanding a spot in the main event. She'll be given some hoops to jump through, possibly beating Becky, before getting in.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Charlotte will claim that Becky shouldn't have been in the Rumble match I would assume. Seems like the easiest way to work her into the match. Probably will have to face Becky at some stage with the stipulation that Charlotte gets added to the match if she wins.

I agree though. There's absolutely no need for her to be in it. Fans are loving Becky and Ronda and Monday just added an air of spice to a one-on-one match.

I don't like the idea of Ronda saving Becky. It isn't really a "respect" feud where that would work well. They hate each other and should keep that up.

I'm guessing Charlotte gets all entitled tonight and says Becky shouldn't have been in the Rumble and she should've won, demanding a spot in the main event. She'll be given some hoops to jump through, possibly beating Becky, before getting in.
    Faugheen wrote: »
    Charlotte will claim that Becky shouldn't have been in the Rumble match I would assume. Seems like the easiest way to work her into the match. Probably will have to face Becky at some stage with the stipulation that Charlotte gets added to the match if she wins.

I agree though. There's absolutely no need for her to be in it. Fans are loving Becky and Ronda and Monday just added an air of spice to a one-on-one match.

Ugh, you're both right :( That's exactly what's going to happen isn't it?

Was gonna get up early for Smackdown before work and all. Now I don't think I'll bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Said it after the Rumble, Becky looks like a bi**h running scared from Asuka, tapped out so she runs off to another brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

There is no way a woman's match headlines WM with Charlotte involved.

Without?

Said it after the Rumble, Becky looks like a bi**h running scared from Asuka, tapped out so she runs off to another brand.

why she didn't pass out, I have absolutely no idea.

but then again, stupid booking is part and parcel of WWE at this stage. you get over despite what they do with you, not because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

agree with those talking about the odd booking of the end of the Asuka/Becky Match. Yes, it elevates Asuka again but why did the man tap out? I figured she'd pass out/or there'd some screwy finish. maybe they'll revisit it again. plus there's two ppv's between now and Mania and id imagine becky will be on smackdown still. will they keep rr/becky apart for a while? I don't have much faith in them maintaining a steady two month build up. as great as charlotte is, they really should keep her out of the match at mania. add her to the feud for sure, but stay out of the actual match at Mania

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Fatal four way for both the belts. Make it a ladder match. Auska Flair Lynch Rousey. There's a main event. I wouldn't rule it out. If they do just add Charlotte to the match it leaves the other title on the pre-show potentially. A while ago when Becky got injured most of us feared Charlotte would just take her spot, well at least that hasn't happened.
    Personally I would prefer to see Becky vs Ronda straight one on one. But Charlotte deserves to be in a big match too, so if they do involve her it's ok I guess.
    Charlotte lost a lot of big matches of late, she's overdue a purple patch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Sure they won't let Asuka capitalise on it anyway - she'll probably end up defending the title in a multi woman match at Mania that LOL Mandy Rose will win by pinning Lana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

First time in ages a Raw segment left me buzzing. Ronda followed up a promo where she was flustered and sinking to deliver a promo brimming with intensity that most wrestlers would never be able to express. It was quite something. I hope the main event is Becky vs Ronda and that Charlotte isn't added in a triple threat as I think she'll just dilute it, but I'm not sure they would trust Ronda in a one on one in the main event. They probably feel Charlotte and Becky in there together would be a safer bet, which is a fair point really. We'll see what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

I think a lot of the criticism towards ronda is pretty harsh and unfair. overall she's great in the ring and has real star quality. interestingly, on the WWE24 special that aired after the Rumble, there's a bit where Vince instructs her to smile. I don't think the constant smiling has helped her character (or sudden changes to angry ronda). But she recovered well to stand up to becky and deliver a very intense (pretty legit) heated promo. its become a thing now where people are jumping on her promos, which she supposedly has a hand in writing herself, they come across as too wordy and she's trying to be too clever. I hope they tone this down a bit. and if we get intense angry ronda and she can adapt to the boos she's getting, the build up to this match could be amazing. I feel this could a once off for womens wrestling. are we likely to see such an organic heated feud between any of the women on the current roster? none of them are believable or have the magic/wit of becky and ronda is the perfect opponent for her

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Becky Ronda felt special in a way not many things in WWE do these days. Ronda is legit in the same way as Brock while Becky is the modern SCSA mixed with the Rock (writing that sentence about 2 female wrestlers even a year ago would have been ridiculed). The latter comparison (The Rock) isn't often made for Becky but afterall isn't that why she is so over, cos she is the "peoples champion", the person they chose instead of the person that was chosen for them.

Also despite it being brought up in a different thread I wanted to respond to the Dean Ambrose stuff here to avoid spoilers... Isn't the contract stuff being discussed a work being fed to the PWtorch and the like? immediately we have Dean reference when he signed for WWE on Raw in a segment that has me more interested in him than almost anything they have done with him in ages. His interaction with HHH was good and him still being in the ring when they returned from commercial and selling how the loss affected him stood out from the norm. It was understated but for me last night did more for Dean than I was expecting even if I am not looking forward for anything Dean related going into Mania season yet. Maybe they can go full Pillman for the lunatic fringe

TimesArrow wrote: »
    I think a lot of the criticism towards ronda is pretty harsh and unfair. overall she's great in the ring and has real star quality. interestingly, on the WWE24 special that aired after the Rumble, there's a bit where Vince instructs her to smile. I don't think the constant smiling has helped her character (or sudden changes to angry ronda). But she recovered well to stand up to becky and deliver a very intense (pretty legit) heated promo. its become a thing now where people are jumping on her promos, which she supposedly has a hand in writing herself, they come across as too wordy and she's trying to be too clever. I hope they tone this down a bit. and if we get intense angry ronda and she can adapt to the boos she's getting, the build up to this match could be amazing. I feel this could a once off for womens wrestling. are we likely to see such an organic heated feud between any of the women on the current roster? none of them are believable or have the magic/wit of becky and ronda is the perfect opponent for her

I agree, I don't get the heat the crowd give her. I understand they want Becky but there's nothing wrong imo with cheering for both. It can be this generations Rock VS Austin (albeit in female form) if they let it, and I really hope they go with one on one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Ronda's promo was better than Becky's IMO (which was also very good), best delivery on the mic I've heard from her so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Rollins sells the F5 brilliantly. Last person to sell it that well was The Rock. All about keeping the legs up and straight.

giphy.gif

You know what I'd do tonight on Smackdown?

Start working towards Becky vs Charlotte for the Chamber PPV. Put a stipulation that if Charlotte wins, she gets to join the match.

The crowd will hate Charlotte for it. They'll think it's 100% going to be Charlotte winning.

Then have Becky win. Crowd would go nuts, Becky looks better as a fighting face, AND it keeps Becky and Ronda apart for a few weeks.

Charlotte can bounce back by attacking Asuka the night after to set up their match too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

All PPVs are dual brand now so they will cross paths. Though is Becky now a Raw superstar or will she stay on Smackdown for a while anyway?
    Anyway was a good segment for both and good to see. Is Becky genuinely injured though?

On another note, I forgot how I like Ryder's theme opening.
    And a wild Mojo appearance the same night we have Ryder?

I noticed Becky threw up the 4 Horsewomen sign to Bayley.

Have they decided to shorten Erick Rowan to just Rowan now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

One thing that annoyed me about this show was the treatment of Angle. They could use him the way Foley was used in 2000 if they want to phase him out and put younger guys over but they're treating him like a chump.

Absolutely no way Triple H would be presented in a similar fashion despite the two being pretty much the same age.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I think Angle is at the start of his retirement storyline. The use of him has been terrible tho. Instead of looking past his best he just looks feeble. Corbin last night kicked out of an Angle Slam, broke out of the ankle lock & beat him without using his signature move. All that in 2 or 3 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I find it crazy that this week had Angle, HHH, Jeff Jarrett (he actually helps me spell it right) and Road Dogg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The Nal wrote: »
    Rollins sells the F5 brilliantly. Last person to sell it that well was The Rock. All about keeping the legs up and straight.

I can only imagine it hurts like a b1tch to sell it like that, makes no sense otherwise because some of his F5s down the years were glorified AAs especially against bigger guys like Taker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I can only imagine it hurts like a b1tch to sell it like that, makes no sense otherwise because some of his F5s down the years were glorified AAs especially against bigger guys like Taker

I think its just lazy selling. Shouldn't hurt that much, right in the middle of the ring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement