Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAW Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

obnoxious fans here tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I enjoyed Mania but that was a dreadful episode of Raw, can't believe I stayed up for it

The Bar? Come on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

**** what a let down of an ending

No Reigns or Strowman tonight

Ok episode but meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

PTH2009 wrote: »
    **** what a let down of an ending

No Reigns or Strowman tonight

Ok episode but meh

Reigns out in the ring now with Seth and Dean giving Ambrose a proper send off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Thought Taker looked great tonight. Was there in the Barclay's centre and when people saw Cesaro and Sheamus run through the crowd there was a split second of excitement when we thought it was possibly Undisputed Era but maaaan who booked the feckin Bar to interrupt the main event of the post mania Raw. awful stuff. and the AEW chants were well deserved. I wouldnt normally be a fan of the smarky craic or the beachballs but once the bar appeared it was like... right lads, unleash the beachballs. baffling altogether

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The term “spinning their wheels” comes to mind, and in retrospect, we should have expected that with the draft next week. Their issue seemed to be they didn’t want to start up much meaningful in terms of feuds that would be dropped next week. Off the top of my head, the only “feud” that was started was Becky vs Lacy, which is a safe one to do cause it can happen on either show.

After that, it was basically a selection of one night only events and character moments. Every match was designed to push an individual rather than a story. Very little was designed to have a long lasting reason for happening.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Strange Raw glad I didn’t watch it and just read the results. They neutered themselves with the shake up next week.

The bar and Zayn seems like a f you to the fans. Vince apparently livid as he’s given the fans the champions they wanted and they still sh!tted on Mania.

Looks like one of the better segments of the show didn’t even air. Post Raw....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Looks like one of the better segments of the show didn’t even air. Post Raw....

There does be so much good stuff that airs after the show and on the youtube an a lot of the time its better than whats on the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

TimesArrow wrote: »
    what the fook was that puppet thing in the box?

That was a Buzzard - Bray's coming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

A Tombstone and a FU to Elias over 2 nights, that'll teach him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Raw back to form, that was dreadful for the most part. No mention at all of the finish to the Mania main event? Seems strange that they'd go with a finish like that and not mention it, will only fuel rumours that it was botched.

Raw back to form, that was dreadful for the most part. No mention at all of the finish to the Mania main event? Seems strange that they'd go with a finish like that and not mention it, will only fuel rumours that it was botched.

When it happened, Graves was calling attention to it, asking for another replay....and then there was a silence that usually indicates Vince screaming at him to shut up, and no replay.

The shoulder wasn't meant to be up. Blame Ronda for bad positioning, blame Becky for an awkward roll up, blame the ref for being too eager (this is where I am), but I get the feeling Ronda is gone for a bit now. They will probably use it when she gets back, but they will have no intentions of making Becky look like an illegitimate champion in the meantime...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Why the Bar of all people? I was expecting a screwy finish but why not Lars in that case? Make him look like a monster right out the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭dusty bin

What a weekend so far, sleep patterns all over the shop. Fell asleep somewhere around 3.30 ish last night. I was expecting The U Era to debut as there was no way Seth was dropping the belt (and there were several ads promoting new day celebrating kofi's win on smackdown, so knew he wouldnt be dropping either) so delighted to have missed shembo and cesaro interupting.

Highs for me, from what I saw = Sami's promo and New day dancing to Seth's theme (Big E is amazing).

Dont remember seeing Braun Strowman, Reigns, Triple H who all won the night before, or Sasha, Nia, Natalya, Tamina, Beth P, Drew, Ronda, Brock and Riot Squad who all wrestled as Raw stars the night before. Did most of them get the night off? Richochet and Black + the bar were part of smackdowns matches. so to was new day, and becky (kinda).

let down of a raw awm.

I thought Taker looked terrible. Man looks like he's ageing at a rate of knots.

Lacey brawling in a short dress and heels wasn't very well thought out. She was half focused on beating up Becky and half focused on not showing the world her knickers.

Bayley seems so done. Even the international crowd gave her no reaction when she came out and could only muster a half-arsed "Heeeey Bayley!" before it petered out. It's a little sad, she was so beloved at one point.

Becky calling Ronda "Ya little weirdo" is so funny to me for some reason.

Sami hates smarks. Thought he looked in bad shape and the shaved head doesn't suit him. I'm sure he'd love that critique.
    sky88 wrote: »
    There does be so much good stuff that airs after the show and on the youtube an a lot of the time its better than whats on the show

This is so true. The IIconics are some of the best at it. Almost all of their twitter/Youtube skits are better than the comedy bits WWE put on TV. Billie is hilarious...

https://twitter.com/wwemaverick/status/1115427188898242560?s=21

J. Marston wrote: »
    I thought Taker looked terrible. Man looks like he's ageing at a rate of knots.

Lacey brawling in a short dress and heels wasn't very well thought out. She was half focused on beating up Becky and half focused on not showing the world her knickers.

Bayley seems so done. Even the international crowd gave her no reaction when she came out and could only muster a half-arsed "Heeeey Bayley!" before it petered out. It's a little sad, she was so beloved at one point.

Becky calling Ronda "Ya little weirdo" is so funny to me for some reason.

Sami hates smarks. Thought he looked in bad shape and the shaved head doesn't suit him. I'm sure he'd love that critique.

This is so true. The IIconics are some of the best at it. Almost all of their twitter/Youtube skits are better than the comedy bits WWE put on TV. Billie is hilarious...

https://twitter.com/wwemaverick/status/1115427188898242560?s=21

its clear on the videos too they all look more natural cause there not being forced to say a script line by line.

i actually thought bayley/sasha got no real reaction at mania which shocked me i think they should be split in the draft and lets rebuild the characters especally bayley needs maybe even some time off tv

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭dusty bin

anyone else think Sami looked like mojo rawley, with the head shaved?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

dusty bin wrote: »
    anyone else think Sami looked like mojo rawley, with the head shaved?

Thought he looked at Ambrose & feel his new gimmick will be much the same.
    Bray Wyatt's inevitably failed return was teased by a Jim Henson muppet; I already don't want him back.

Pretty poor show yeah they have the draft next week but they had some Smackdown talent on the show and no real follow up on any big match at WrestleMania bar Angle vs Corbin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Wow! The content of Sami Zayn's promo last night was superb! And so true.

The only problem is that it was delivered by the wrong person. Imagine if Roman cut that promo.

Unfortunately, Zayn was totally the wrong man to deliver this kind of attack on the fans. The fans he was aiming his anger at are the same ones who mark out giddly for him as if he's The Rock, even though he is a bang average performer.
    The fans are so up their own arse now, they even gave Zayn a round of applause after his fiery promo.
    Good grief, spare me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Thought Zayn looked in rough shape last night, flabby belly hanging down. Vince won't be impressed with that. After the length of layoff I thought he'd be in peak condition.

It didn't help that he was in there with Balor, a man who looks like he is sculpted from marble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Enjoyed Sami's promo but agree it would have been better coming from someone who was not a smark darling.

Lars Sullivan's appearance was a breath of fresh air. This is what Raw needs, a proper wrestler who looks like a tough bastard. The kind of guy that turns heads at airports. He looks like he would fit in any era of wrestling. Hope to see him get a monster push and run through the roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Give it a few weeks/months/this time next year even, we'll be bitching about Lars being ruined by flippy flopping booking. Sure he started off perfectly, but so did Braun Strowman.

I feel like we're watching a repeat loop of Strowman with Lars Sullivan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Lars Sullivan's appearance was a breath of fresh air. This is what Raw needs, a proper wrestler who looks like a tough bastard. The kind of guy that turns heads at airports. He looks like he would fit in any era of wrestling. Hope to see him get a monster push and run through the roster.

He's on thin ice because of the fact he missed Raw's due to anxiety when he was supposed to start a program with Cena

Between that and his admissions online to fapping over Stephanie means his push is surely one that needs perfection from him for it to last

I've seen little of him in NXT, the bit he had last just reminded me of Heidenreich

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Thought Zayn looked in rough shape last night, flabby belly hanging down.

Not as noticeable as Chase Owens who has outgrown his tights for some time :o

• Advertisement

He will be comic relief in a few months

seen on twitter that on his most recent talk is jericho appearance that sami seemed almost done or it wouldnt bother him being done with wrestling and then hes just spent his time off travelling through europe by his instagram so i doubt hes given too much time to keeping in shape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Taker looked to be in great shape last night. So much better than he looked at Crown Jewel. He must be hitting the gym hard. Hopefully he isn't spitting on the floor while he's in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Lars Sullivan will be a massive failure. I guarantee it. He will only survive if he happens to fall into a faction or some gimmick that gets over, otherwise he has nothing that I see that will catch on with fans.

I think most fans will think of him as value brand Braun.

• Advertisement

Getting Lars over shouldn't be difficult. He could smash jobbers for a few months before moving on to mid-carders. Has worked in recent years with Ryback, Braun, Rusev etc. They could even bring back the tactic of facing two jobbers at once.

Only thing that worries me is with his promos. I remember he did one in NXT where he was talking in big words that felt out of place with his character. I figured before listening to him he'd sound like a caveman or something, sort of Braun-esque, but he was saying long words like 'unequivocally' and it was just rotten verbiage. His voice isn't particularly deep either.

Maybe giving him a mouthpiece could work. If they're not going that route I just hope his promos are kept short and simple. We don't need to see this guy in 10-15 minute segments. Just have him come out, smash a dude in a few minutes, sneer at the camera, scream at the fallen jobber, and leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Between that and his admissions online to fapping over Stephanie means his push is surely one that needs perfection from him for it to last

Ha ha when he did he say that?

(And what era of Steph are we talking about..)

Having him smash jobbers is a terrible idea if I’m honest. If they want to push him then I’d have him straight away go pick a fight with Braun Strowman and let him get a win against him which makes Braun angry and starts a feud which gives both of them credibility. Keep the matches short and violent possibly with both men getting disqualified each time until its decided they need to put them in a cage or a cell.

Braun needs a distraction now, otherwise he should be calling out Rollins straight away.

Pentecost wrote: »

On an old bodybuilding forum I believe

Cant find any better sources than the r/sc thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/9zp1bj/lars_sullivan_discovered_making_derogatory/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Has worked in recent years with Ryback, Braun, Rusev etc. They could even bring back the tactic of facing two jobbers at once.

I agree it worked for Braun but he is truly a special case as he is so unique. His size and ability combined is as impressive as anyone I’ve ever seen.

Ryback was a failure. His push actually was his biggest downfall imo. Smashed jobbers then got thrown into a main event feud and fans didn’t buy it.

Rusev was blessed he had Lana. Lana was the one who got him over. She was who we all wanted to see.

Pentecost wrote: »

Every era is acceptable

GSPfan wrote: »
    Ryback was a failure. His push actually was his biggest downfall imo.

He was damn hot when he first got pushed into the title scene with Punk

Look at the reaction he got when he saved Mr McMahon from CM Punk, it was thunderous

His downfall was getting screwed by Brad Maddox for the title, then getting screwed by The Shield

He was put into the title scene too fast and he couldnt win it since the plan was already in place for Punk vs Rock at the Rumble months later

Same as his prequel Goldberg he was limited but good in his own square hole, he could have been a top guy for 3/4 years if handled properly but he wouldnt have lasted without seriously improving in ring

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Big E & Xavier just enjoying the hell out of Rollins entrance theme, can't blame them.

https://twitter.com/WrestlinGifs/status/1115411632316866560

I agree with SureYWouldntYa. I wouldn't class Ryback a failure. When he was thrown into the match with Punk at the last minute he did a surprisingly big buyrate.

It's the easiest formula in the world to get a big dude over. Just have to give them wins, accentuate their positives, hide their negatives. If they do it well they could eventually build towards a big match with Reigns or Braun or maybe even Undertaker. Normally this is the one area Vince books well because he loves the big guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JamesMcClean

Soo, is Steve Austin and Kevin Nash/Hulk Hogan/NWO still popping around the scene? I know I'm probably about 10 years late, but that's what I remember when I think of wrestling. :(

• Advertisement

It's the easiest formula in the world to get a big dude over.

Not always, the guy needs to have a bit of talent to make it work

Vladimir Kozlov got a similar build to Ryback but was always limp and dull as dishwater

Great Khali beat all around him but never got close to over

Baron Corbin was unbeaten in NXT for a long time, despite the commentarors telling us he’s a big deal he never became one, and look at where he is today even with more legit background as a golden gloves champion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭ThePott

If memory serves Lars also said some pretty racist things on those bodybuilding forums.

He also went after people with anxiety, so I guess he got hist dose of irony over the last few months.

Lars is not a great wrestler but they clearly have high hopes for him, even Brock had some interest in the guy which is a pretty big rub. Obviously booking can save the guy, think we'd be best served separating Braun and Lars on different brands though. On mic he was this 'intelligent' monster which never really worked for me, guess they've gotten rid of that or at least he only seemed to grunt and shout on RAW.

No real interest in him but that could change with good booking.

I was wondering why he chose Kurt Angle to give a beating to and I’m now wondering if it will set off a storyline between them in the way of a mentor/manager role. Angle has signed a contract to do something other than wrestling so it might not be bad to pair them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Compared to your standard Raw that was a cracking episode. People have such high expectations for the post Mania Raw though, and in that context I understand the disappointment. Last year's was a let down too IIRC.

The last one that lived up to the hype was after 29

After that it really became a thing, and as usually happens when WWE try to make a thing into a thing it turns disappointing

https://twitter.com/iamjohnpollock/status/1117854695299530752

Have heard there are a number of travel issues involving WWE personnel and talent for tonight's show in Montreal. "Things are being rewritten as a result". No word on what effect this will have on tonight's show.

Not a great start for the shakeup.

Who's the actual GM of raw now ??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Who's the actual GM of raw now ??

The McMahons are. All of them. Oh and us the fans of course. Cause they listen to us. They always listen.

Don't know why they got rid of Paige as Smackdown GM in that "overhaul". I thought she was good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 JamesMcClean

J. Marston wrote: »
    Don't know why they got rid of Paige as Smackdown GM in that "overhaul". I thought she was good.

I believe it was over some controversy regarding videos of her that was leaked online. Gave the WWE a bad look.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement