Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAW Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    surprised they done that segment so early

Christ Goldberg's winning on sunday isn't he ?

Miz cash in on winner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Miz cash in on winner?

I'd take that over Oldberg winning it

So Edge will appearing tonight, I guess thats rules out a surprise rumble return or are they trying to trick us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭bunnyboxer

Drew is looking great for someone who had covid

Didn't even know he had it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

bunnyboxer wrote: »
    Didn't even know he had it.

WWE did advertise the fact he had it 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Just so I'm clear...that is Alexa possessed by the Fiend that I'm supposed to believe can beat the sh1t out of Asuka?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

Just so I'm clear...that is Alexa possessed by the Fiend that I'm supposed to believe can beat the sh1t out of Asuka?

I think its on the same level The Fiend was able beat the sh1t out of everyone... until Goldberg!

Not sure the point on announcing Edge for the Rumble, would have made more sense to have it as a surprise again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

daithi1989 wrote: »
    I think its on the same level The Fiend was able beat the sh1t out of everyone... until Goldberg!

Not sure the point on announcing Edge for the Rumble, would have made more sense to have it as a surprise again.

A surprise for who though? There's no live crowd, and you need all eyes on the product with this peacock deal, gotta bump the numbers.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    A surprise for who though? There's no live crowd, and you need all eyes on the product with this peacock deal, gotta bump the numbers.

For the viewers who have their eyes on the product - I cant imagine too many people will now watch the RR because they have seen Edge announced that wouldnt have watched anyway?

For the viewers who have their eyes on the product - I cant imagine too many people will now watch the RR because they have seen Edge announced that wouldnt have watched anyway?

The viewers who have eyes on the product aren't going anywhere, they're not going to not watch because the surprise is spoiled. wwe needs the rumble to Mania network bump, for shareholders if nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I do find it unfair that the likes of Lashley and Charlotte are in the Rumble even though they have a match the same night. Seems some years people can be in both and other years people only have the one match, unless they get in through shenanigans. While other wrestlers have to try and earn a spot. Like why does John Morrison get a spot while Truth and Gulak have to earn a spot? Makes no sense.

Nia slamming Dana looked painful.

Now how will the Asuka and Alexa thing carry over to the PPV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Ridley

Does it matter? Whether she's possessed or tapping the same power source as teh Fiend it has the same result.

Ridley wrote: »
    Does it matter? Whether she's possessed or tapping the same power source as teh Fiend it has the same result.

Just trying to get their logic right in my head so I can understand how I'm expected to accept Asuka being buried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

hynesie08 wrote: »
    The viewers who have eyes on the product aren't going anywhere, they're not going to not watch because the surprise is spoiled. wwe needs the rumble to Mania network bump, for shareholders if nothing else.

With the Network being flogged to Peacock they don't even really need that any more.

I knw it was a massive accomplishment for Edge getting back in the ring after his injury but please we all know the story now just move on wwe please

2ndcoming wrote: »
    With the Network being flogged to Peacock they don't even really need that any more.

I've theorised for a while now that Vince has his eyes on the exit door, and selling up to a real TV network would be his crowning achievement (we make movies pal) and when the rumblings of fox buying out wwe were around I thought those were the end days, but the crazy bastard held on.....

I'm not saying it will happen (I think he'll be found dead at his desk) but creating the network, getting the 2 million subscribers, selling it for a billion dollars, running the biggest sporting event in the US during a pandemic (mania is scheduled for 30k, superbowl is only 22.5) and then cashing out when the q2 report comes out and the stock goes up........ I could see it.

• Advertisement

Just trying to get their logic right in my head so I can understand how I'm expected to accept Asuka being buried.

Asuka's fault for not being Charlotte Flair. ;)

Wonder will we see Edge 'be injured and wrote off' for a few weeks. He needs to move on from this 'hard journey back and i believe in this and that' stuff

That was an odd enough segment

Finally the Sheamus turn on Drew

Oh great were getting Edge vs Orton again, think there will be a few shenanigans by Bliss and the Fiend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

In a world where they didn't have to bring back Bad Bunny.... they brought back Bad Bunny

• Advertisement

Preist should of went to SD

Wtf is this rapper guy ?

I'd make a joke about how the rest of Retribution must have been stuck in a wet paper bag at the Rumble but no-one here would believe that the bag didn't have better things to get on with that night.

Edge's promos are great but it says it all that it takes a legend to be able to call out the WWE Champion for acting like a goof. Nobody else would allowed to call out Vince's booking like that.

Interesting that Carlito stuck around, another run?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Interesting that Carlito stuck around, another run?

He's been given the MVP role, wrestle occasionally and then will have a producer role back stage. I wouldn't be surprised to see him paired up with younger talent soon.

Loughc wrote: »
    He's been given the MVP role, wrestle occasionally and then will have a producer role back stage. I wouldn't be surprised to see him paired up with younger talent soon.

Nice, is it confirmed? Great to see him back in the fold.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

In a world where they didn't have to bring back Bad Bunny.... they brought back Bad Bunny
    Preist should of went to SD

Wtf is this rapper guy ?

The thing that strikes me is that while I have no clue who Bad Bunny is, he genuinely seems like a decently enough big deal, at least in American. So I can give them a pass for it, because I think celebrity involvement does have its purpose. Also seems like a genuine fan of wrestling too.

I know the Bliss stuff will probably turn a lot of people off cause it’s sports entertainment and not pure wrestling. But credit where it’s due to her, Bray and Orton, they seem to be the only ones taking advantage of the fact the shows aren’t in front of live audiences. Due to the pandemic, how wrestling is taped has changed drastically, but by and large, WWE haven’t taken advantage by turning that negative into a positive. Pre-taped sections cut in absolutely have a role in storytelling but they seem the only ones taking advantage of it.

I worry a bit about Drew. I like Drew, I think he’s great. But I’m looking at “Dream” matches and I’m not sure if there’s any that makes me think “that’s a Mania main event match”. That’s not me saying I want Edge vs Orton as it either, mind. But Drew vs Edge feels a bit of a weird match up. Especially since they’ve split them up again for now, I’m not sure there’s a story there. Edge vs Orton, or even Edge vs Miz (the guy who retired vs the guy who has never taken a day off) would have a background story. Edge vs Drew, to me, needed a different build than rumble winner vs young superstar.

Ideally, a grizzled old veteran story for Edge should have had months of a build, with him coming close, doubting himself, etc. instead, he went coast to coast in the Rumble (despite a long lay off) and seems hooked exactly as he was ten years ago....

Nice, is it confirmed? Great to see him back in the fold.

Big Dave Meltzy said it so there's a 50/50 chance :pac:

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I worry a bit about Drew. I like Drew, I think he’s great. But I’m looking at “Dream” matches and I’m not sure if there’s any that makes me think “that’s a Mania main event match”. That’s not me saying I want Edge vs Orton as it either, mind. But Drew vs Edge feels a bit of a weird match up. Especially since they’ve split them up again for now, I’m not sure there’s a story there. Edge vs Orton, or even Edge vs Miz (the guy who retired vs the guy who has never taken a day off) would have a background story. Edge vs Drew, to me, needed a different build than rumble winner vs young superstar.

Focus will be on Reigns this year anyway methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I thought I'd give it a go this morning given that I watched the Rumble. The Sheamus turn on Drew could not have been more flat, both in how it was set up (20 year friendship equating to 2 months of screen time friendship where the end result was inevitable) and the execution (Sheamus dropping him with his Brogue Kick after Edge left the ring, like it was an afterthought).

Other takes were that this show had a million distraction finishes. It's the worst finish that they consistently do and yet it's the finish that they seem to use the most. I swear nearly every match on this show had a distraction finish.

They really hate Riddle. He gets destroyed by Lashley, then they mention twice that he tapped while in the ropes. If this was a guy you're trying to make into a main event guy, you don't have him tap out in the ropes.

The Alexa stuff can get in the bin. Pure rubbish.

But Meltzer says it looks like Edge is challenging Reigns, and the build to that could be quite good with 3 excellent promos involved (Heyman being the 3rd).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just seen a picture of Orton, man those burn scars heal fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

They keep out-doing the previous weeks wrestlecrap with all the Fiend Alexa stuff each and every week, it's almost impressive in a way. Alexa going for the Warrior possessed by Papa Shango look in 92 this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Loughc wrote: »
    Big Dave Meltzy said it so there's a 50/50 chance :pac:

Plans my change then is what you’re saying. That’s meltzers normal reply when stuff he’s said would happen didn’t happen.

Not being funny but I don't, and I'm sure many others don't either, watch professional wrestling just to see a card full of O'Reilly and Balor type matches (of which come with their own threshold of suspension of disbelief).

Wrestling needs characters like The Fiend and more thinking outside of the box type thinking. The Alexa stuff is getting tedious but that just comes with the territory of trying something different.

It's an industry that thrives on variety and we should hope that continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ReganBrady

Yes, it’s a fantastic way to make stronger champions you have, sometime fans get bored and then next week we see the change. Also, there could be the possibility as to find another cruiserweight for Kendrick to beat, also many times for the PPVs the booking feels slapdash, it seems strange or I may need to watch it again carefully as not in the fast forward mode to know it in a better way and see what I am missing.

Not being funny but I don't, and I'm sure many others don't either, watch professional wrestling just to see a card full of O'Reilly and Balor type matches (of which come with their own threshold of suspension of disbelief).

Wrestling needs characters like The Fiend and more thinking outside of the box type thinking. The Alexa stuff is getting tedious but that just comes with the territory of trying something different.

It's an industry that thrives on variety and we should hope that continues.

Why? Why does wrestling need that? You can have outlandish characters but the issue with The Fiend and Alexa (outside of it being utterly naff and taking up big spots) is that it's completely universe breaking. In no entertainment medium would a character that destroys the universe of the show be permitted. This dude can literally shoot fire at you, possess you, and has killed at least a couple of other pro wrestlers yet we're supposed to accept that?

Also the "it's a variety show" thing is a nonsense. It's not. Vince tells you it is and you believe him but it's not. You can have a perfectly good wrestling show without possessed puppets and never let anybody tell you otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Really stuck out at Mania.

How the **** are you supposed to take two guys like Drew and Lesnar seriously after following that **** show of a short film between Cena and Wyatt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Why? Why does wrestling need that? You can have outlandish characters but the issue with The Fiend and Alexa (outside of it being utterly naff and taking up big spots) is that it's completely universe breaking. In no entertainment medium would a character that destroys the universe of the show be permitted. This dude can literally shoot fire at you, possess you, and has killed at least a couple of other pro wrestlers yet we're supposed to accept that?

Also the "it's a variety show" thing is a nonsense. It's not. Vince tells you it is and you believe him but it's not. You can have a perfectly good wrestling show without possessed puppets and never let anybody tell you otherwise.

The undertaker disagrees with you.

It's a presentation thang. Not many are unhappy with Undertaker's command of lightning, Balor tapping into his darkness with face paint or Mick Foley being three people with a shirt change.

Ridley wrote: »
    It's a presentation thang. Not many are unhappy with Undertaker's command of lightning, Balor tapping into his darkness with face paint or Mick Foley being three people with a shirt change.

Think the above poster was going further than presentation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So Rhea for Smackdown or waiting to bring her in later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So Rhea for Smackdown or waiting to bring her in later?

Sasha and Bianca are gonna be the main focus until Mania so if they bring her up now she'll be playing third fiddle straight away.

Smacruairi wrote: »
    The undertaker disagrees with you.

You say what I say and the answer is always ".... But The Undertaker" congratulations, you've referenced 1 example that was successful, an example that debuted over 30 years ago (!!!) and the dozens of other stupid universe destroying nonsense that came since all failed. And strictly speaking for myself here I hated the Taker gimmick! And even if you liked it, The Fiend stuff is even worse and Bray is not The Undertaker.

Wrestling is variety and besides WWE, you need look no further than over on AEW where they're doing dance numbers, wacky Las Vegas segments and trying to achieve their own version of the Ministry of Darkness. Rhodes, Khan, Jericho all understand that producing a varied show is part and parcel of professional wrestling.

The problem is, as Ridley put it, presentation. It has worked in places and not so much in others but the important thing is to keep tweaking and trying like AEW has with The Dark Order.

You need that to counteract the serious stuff.

You say what I say and the answer is always ".... But The Undertaker" congratulations, you've referenced 1 example that was successful, an example that debuted over 30 years ago (!!!) and the dozens of other stupid universe destroying nonsense that came since all failed. And strictly speaking for myself here I hated the Taker gimmick! And even if you liked it, The Fiend stuff is even worse and Bray is not The Undertaker.

Broken Matt Hardy? People were losing their sh1te over then segments also (not saying you specifically), and this is just similar. There is a place in wrestling for these sort of acts. If you dont approve, you dont have to watch.

Broken Matt Hardy? People were losing their sh1te over then segments also (not saying you specifically), and this is just similar. There is a place in wrestling for these sort of acts. If you dont approve, you dont have to watch.

Stupid gimmick that didn't draw a dime for any company he did it in.

And Dáithí1989, I can assure you, I see everything.

• Advertisement

Stupid gimmick that still drew rating/views/got people talking!

If you don’t like the Alexa/Wyatt segments, then skip by them and watch the rest of the show. And I said, if you don’t like the product, why waste so much time a week watching? 3.5-4 hours (missus the ads!), just to give out about it! Strange.. Just my opinion!

From the last few years alone, you have a lad in njpw who plays air guitar, you have a lad who wrestles with hands in his pockets in AEW, you had a lad who had 7deities in impact, you have the fiend in wwe. Face it, wrestling is a variety, and that's what sells m, especially in the mid card so u can take your champion so super serious.

And undertaker the only one in 30 years, yeah that's a ridiculous comment. Go to any ott event and they'll have a match in the middle that's just ridiculous ****e fun. When the bucks came here they took a phone call during the match for the lulz and got a "this is awesome chant". Wrestling is meant to be fun, if i just want strong style, i know where to go. Me, I like variety,and I very much think I'm not on my own.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I love the Bliss stuff tbh. It helps that I'm a massive fan of Bliss anyways but I don't see anything wrong with it in wrestling per se. It's different, it to me is entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

We all know wrestlingnis about suspension of disbelief, however The Fiend character and its antics requires a bit to much of a leap for me.

Its all the magical fantasy bull**** and stupid camera angles that ruin the illusion.

If you are building a universe consistency should be key in that universe, and monsters that come and eat the Viking raiders or street profits or whatever happened there has absolutely no place in a wrestling realm where Brock Lesnar is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sirsok wrote: »
    We all know wrestlingnis about suspension of disbelief, however The Fiend character and its antics requires a bit to much of a leap for me.

Its all the magical fantasy bull**** and stupid camera angles that ruin the illusion.

If you are building a universe consistency should be key in that universe, and monsters that come and eat the Viking raiders or street profits or whatever happened there has absolutely no place in a wrestling realm where Brock Lesnar is.
    For me all the magic fantasy stuff is consistent with the universe of pro wrestling.. because that's how it always was. I find it harder to suspend my disbelief watching lads kick out of finisher after finisher like they do nowadays, because that goes against the 'laws' of the universe

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement