Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help in the house

Options
  • 03-10-2016 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've read before in this forum about getting a cleaner once a week. Is anyone willing to elaborate on how that work? Time, cost, where to find someone, how they access/when they do it? We've just bought a house and our budget has loosened a fraction and this may be possible now.

I'm in north kildare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I'm not sure where you live, I have a cleaner once a week and it's best money I ever spend! She comes once a week at a set time for two hours (or three if I have a bundle of ironing for her!). She charges 10 eur an hour. I got a recommendation from a friend of a friend, you'd probably be surprised how many people actually have a cleaner if you start asking around.

Because she was recommended I gave her a key from the start and if I'm not home she just lets herself in and locks up after.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Same here, recommended by some friends. She comes in for 3 hours, 13 an hour. We just give her a key, and supply all the equipment and products. She does the same routine each week for us, cleans 3 bathrooms, kitchen, living room and cleans the floors in those rooms. Bedrooms and washing we take care of, windows are done by a cleaning company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Very interested in this post. We've been thinking about getting a cleaner for a year now. Finally bit the bullet recently and decided to test one out. Found her on gumtree and she had great references and promised me all sorts of cleaning wizardry. €13 per hour. She came and I gave her a list of what to do, double checked that she would be able to do it in 2 hours.

Came back 2 hours later and the only difference I could see was that she had washed the floors (even though there was still some debris that hadn't been swept up on them). I was very disappointed and didn't ask her back again. I've been told sInce that an agency is the way to go but I've priced it and they're all around €17 p/h which I think is a crazy price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I think a lot of times it might be trial and error. The lady that comes to me was away for a while and I tried two others in that time. Neither was half as good, and one even turned up with her child saying she hoped I didn't mind him coming and he'd just play in playroom while she worked. Thought that was a bit strange!

Might be worth trying another one before going to an agency. Maybe put a post on your local area forum on here and ask for recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

sillysocks wrote: »
    Might be worth trying another one before going to an agency. Maybe put a post on your local area forum on here and ask for recommendations?

Tried that before looking on gumtree but got no answers :( I know one person who has a fantastic girl who does everything including laundry but she doesn't do my area unfortunately. I definitely do want to try again though, it just seems hard to find anyone local, even though I live in a large city suburb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Ask your friends, they may be able to recommend one (that is how i got mine). Or hassle.com - aren't they €12 an hour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ask friends / family. Personal recommendation is the way to go, although bear in mind everyone's standards are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I initially went through www.hassle.com nearly two years ago and I liked the girl so much that she agreed to come independently and is still with us. I think it's a good place to start.

Advertisement