Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water pressure & tenancy

Options
  • 03-10-2016 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there. I'm looking for advice. I'm having serious water pressure issues in my apartment. It's on the fifth floor of a new development and there does not appear to be a pump. The water pressure is very low, totally inconsistent and sometimes disappears. The shower is very poor and if any tap is on, it might take a minute or two to come on. If the toilet is flushed, the tap in the hand basin is reduced to a trickle, or doesn't come on.

I've contacted the leasing agent and maintenance and on one inspection they've said it's fine. My recent emails have not received any responses.

Is the landlord under obligation to fix this issue? Or are there standard acceptable measures? I've never experienced anything like this before in a property.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

Section 6(1) and (2) Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2008 Provides:

Sanitary Facilities

6. (1) There shall be provided within the habitable area of the house, for the exclusive use of the house:

(a) A watercloset, with dedicated wash hand basin adjacent thereto with a continuous supply of cold water and a facility for the piped supply of hot water, and

(b) A fixed bath or shower with continuous supply of cold water and a facility for the piped supply of hot water.

(2) The requirements of sub-article (1) shall:

(i) be maintained in good working order,

(ii) have safe and effective means of drainage,

(iii) be properly insulated and secured,

(iv) have minimum capacity requirements for hot and cold water storage facilities, and

(v) be provided in a room separated from other rooms by a wall and a door and containing separate ventilation.

One might question whether what you have is 'continuous' but I have strong reservations that you have anything to refer to the RTB, but that's your arbiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Have you checked with the other tenants to see if they have a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Are you sure there is no booster pump in the apartment? Our pump was located behind the water tank (not visible). You might have a defective pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

con1982 wrote: »
    Are you sure there is no booster pump in the apartment? Our pump was located behind the water tank (not visible). You might have a defective pump.

Unless something has changed recently, the kitchen tap is usually direct mains fed. Most apartment blocks, at least ones at 5 stories, will have a inline pump providing pressure to the whole block.

Advertisement