Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have transcription--need images--Clonard, Meath--1802

• 03-10-2016 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭

Sorry this is long. I have been trying to find the townland of my Graham ancestors for years. They came to Brooklyn from Clonard, Co Meath, in 1851, which I found after years of research. Catholic parish of Kinnegad, Westmeath. So I have the parish but not the townland. There are only two Grahams in this civil parish in Griffith's, printed 1854, one each in two different townlands. I have eliminated Marcella Graham in Hardwood townland thru NYC records. The only other possibility is James Graham in Kilwarden townland--or there were none of my ancestors left by the time of Griffith's.
    I am told that Graham is not a local name. After the one in Kilwarden townland died, there were none left. I have hopes for him as I later found that he was renting a house from my gt gt gt grandfather from another line--not the Grahams.
    Here is my question (at last): The IGP has a transcription of the members of Clonard C of I parish in 1802. The C of I bishop of the C of I Diocese of Meath had ordered a diocesan census. There is a Graham family--father, mother, five sons, two daughters. Also a widow Graham listed separately. But they are all gone by Griffith's except for the two I mentioned above, if the same family. The father in the 1802 list is Thomas. Two of the sons are Thomas and George. My gt gt grandfather and his brother who emigrated were Thomas and George tho of the generation after the five sons just mentioned. I suspect one or more of the five sons married Catholic girls as the immigrant Grahams were Catholic.
    I'd like to see the images of this census, online or microfilm, if possible, in case there is further info. Why was this Graham family in Clonard when they don't seem to be local? Most of all of course, are they my family? The question is more urgent as, tho I have visited Clonard and Kinnegad, a group of cousins are planning a visit next year. I'd really like to find that townland of origin.
    PS--There is no Graham in the parish in the Tithe Applotments which mysteriously lists Clonard as Clonalvy. There are a few Grehans, including in Hardwood townland, but the family was adamant that it was Graham. And no Thomas or George.
    Here is the link to the IGP census:
    http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlmea2/Church/parish_of_clonard.htm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Ryan's only gives Ir. Ancestor 5 (1) 1973, 37-52 as a source for this, presumably a transcript which the site you mentioned is based on.

RCB Library hold baptism & marriage records for the parish, but only from 1881 and 1846 respectively. Might be worth checking if they have this 'census' of know anything about the original.. it could have been transcribed before 1922, and is now lost...

EDIT : based on the Irish Ancestors article it appears that these have survived through to 1973 - no details though of where they were held at that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭kildarejohn

Don't know if this helps, but I have often heard the name Grehan pronounced almost the same as Graham (only difference being final n instead of m), so there is a strong possibility they are same family.

the transcript for some of the parishes do include a few townlands and placenames, e.g. townlands of Ardagh, Meath Hill & Barley Hill under Ardagh parish, but nothing similar for Clonard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭VirginiaB

"Ryan's only gives Ir. Ancestor 5 (1) 1973, 37-52 as a source for this, presumably a transcript which the site you mentioned is based on."
    Thanks for this. I Googled it and found the article title. Then I Googled that and finally found a most interesting dissertation about the then-CofI bishop of Meath and his doings, including this census. I'm reading the 389 pgs now and fortunately on image 28, the source of the above transcription is cited in note 11:
    "Returns of the Protestants of Meath diocese, 1802-03 (R.C.B., MS D7/12/2/2.2)
    Any suggestions on how to access this from abroad? Thanks again.
    The dissertation is "Bishop Thomas Lewis O'Beirne and His Church-Building Programme in the Diocese of Meath, 1798-1823" by Mary Caroline Gallagher for her Ph.D at NUI Maynooth. Online at--
    http://eprints.maynoothuniversity.ie/5212/1/Mary_Caroline_Gallagher_20140711160643.pdf

R.C.B. is Representative Church Body Library probably best to try contacting them - they are in Rathfarnham South Co, Dublin, they dont have images online, only some parish register transcripts. MS D7/12/2/2.2 may be a reference which means something to them. They may do a lookup for you since you have specific details, possibly might charge a small fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

The records of the Diocese of Meath at the above mentioned RCB library have the census documents you require.

D7/12/2/2
    Returns of protestants living in the diocese, 1802 and 1803, arranged by parish. Ordered by Bishop Thomas Lewis O'Beirne, bishop of Meath 1798-1823. The returns were used by the bishop in his bid to reorganise the diocese. Some of the returns include full details of families, with abodes, occupations, and family relationships. The collection accounts for about half of the parishes in the diocese at this time. [The returns for 1802 were published in full by the Revd C.C. Ellison, diocesan registrar (1959-1977), in the Irish Ancestor, vol. v, nos. 1 and 2 (1973)].

https://www.ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/records/MeathList.pdf (page 42)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭VirginiaB

Thanks very much for these replies. I'd like to start with reading that article if I can locate a source for the journal 'The Irish Ancestor'. I see an expensive CD but nothing online. Will try a few libraries this week. Fingers crossed that there is further info on this Graham family and that I can make a connection or cross them off my list. Thank you again.

Advertisement