Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rainfall in Kerry - 02nd to 04th Oct 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

km79 wrote: »
    We got maybe 5mm out of this
    So lucky !

Just looked at the radar! My god, its not raining 15km away! Lashing here and doesn't look to have an end.

Look at how defined that rain belt is!

iw0piw.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Looking at my weather data (Mid-Kerry) we had 43mm of rain yesterday and today so far (since midnight) 12.2mm ... ground very very wet ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

It's dry here in Cratloe no rain yet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

105.5mm for Valentia midnight to midnight yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is that rain belt going to move east at all today?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

snubbleste wrote: »
    Is that rain belt going to move east at all today?

It's not supposed to...supposed to move off the west coast back into the Atlantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Galway city escaped the worst of it with just 9.8mm falling in the last 24hrs
    The station in Moycullen, to the north of the city recorded 18.4mm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

DOCARCH wrote: »
    105.5mm for Valentia midnight to midnight yesterday.

The total for the event itself will be very interesting. As I muted last night, there has been a landslide locally and several roads are closed. A section of the Ring of Kerry road between Cahersiveen and Waterville is closed due to a submerged bridge.

It's still raining but the intensity has dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Prob around 150mm from this in Kerry

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rain eased somewhat here near Tralee overnight but has been steady moderate since about 9.00 . Mild

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Looks like Toe Head is about to be poured on..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just over 50mm of rain at Valentia since midnight (as of 2pm), so well over the 150mm mark there now from this near stationary front.

New Moon

km79 wrote: »
    We got maybe 5mm out of this
    about double that here so a total non-event (i.e: the usual garbage) in my patch.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

I'd be jumping for joy if I only got 8mm out of this instead of 150mm+ and a whole heap of flooding!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    about double that here so a total non-event (i.e: the usual garbage) in my patch.

36 hours of constant rain dumping over 150 mm where I live

You can have it ... I happily settle for the non event option

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

weisses wrote: »
    36 hours of constant rain dumping over 150 mm where I live

You can have it ... I happily settle for the non event option

Jaysus
    Any pics ?

ArKl0w wrote: »
    I'd be jumping for joy if I only got 8mm out of this instead of 150mm+ and a whole heap of flooding!

Good for you! I enjoy extreme events, you obviously don't.

Can't imagine much flooding at Valentia itself but no doubt parts of the county itself have seen some.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Brightening up nicely in Castlebar now with the front moving westwards.

Sunny out now! West Clare

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Good for you! I enjoy extreme events, you obviously don't.
    Well most people would consider it barmy to enjoy 6 inches of rain in 36hrs
    Can't imagine much flooding at Valentia itself but no doubt parts of the county itself have seen some.
    Well Thats a bit of an understatement

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/kerry-floods-close-roads-motorists-8974542

Understatement and an Irish Mirror article should never go together:D

Please please don't turn this into a "WHY DO YOU LIKE WEATHER THAT I DON'T LIKE" type winter again. It's really boring. We know eachother, we know that our opinions differ, can we not just all deal with that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Measured the water in the gauge this evening here near Tralee and got 41mm for the event, ( from midnight Sun till about 16.00 today )

Great to see the bright sunny evening after all the rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Fanore was beautiful this evening,off shore warm breeze and nice surfing conditions.

Well most people would consider it barmy to enjoy 6 inches of rain in 36hrs

I am not 'most people' so throw your pseudo moral outrage and laughable indignation in their direction, because they are wasted on me.

How, HOW exactly is that an 'understatement'? All I see on that link is a confirmation to what I said?

If you are going to be deliberately antagonistic, at least come at me with something of substance first.

New Moon

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Understatement and an Irish Mirror article should never go together:D

Please please don't turn this into a "WHY DO YOU LIKE WEATHER THAT I DON'T LIKE" type winter again. It's really boring. We know eachother, we know that our opinions differ, can we not just all deal with that?
    It's not even interesting weather though,it's just ordinary incessant rain

My problem isn't actually with that anyway,its with the lack of empathy bring it on attitude given the misery in the Shannon basin for most of the winter
    That's what's barmy
    The warning in the thread title is apt and pertinent

It's not even interesting weather though,it's just ordinary incessant rain

My problem isn't actually with that anyway,its with the lack of empathy bring it on attitude given the misery in the Shannon basin for most of the winter
    That's what's barmy

I don't feel Empathy for people building in flood plains.

Anyway that's really besides the point. Yeah it is a weather warning to warn vulnerable people in vulnerable areas, that's a good thing. I don't see why I should only see misery when others do.

I've said all this before though, it's not listened to it seems.

That's what's barmy

I don't recall anyone on here showing a lack of empathy last winter during those floods Arklow? I would love to see a F5 tornado, but that does not mean to say that I would like to see any one killed or have their homes damaged and livelihoods destroyed or anything. It is a weather forum, and as a dedicated 'community' we are going to have opinions like this, as paradoxical as they may be at face value.

BTW, haven't seen SyranB on here in a while, miss his stats big time.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

This was an extraordinary rain event in some parts of Kerry. Lough Currane rose by about three feet Sunday night/Monday morning and by at least nother three since. It's still rising and will for a a day or two yet. I have never seen this before and people who have lived and worked as ghillies on the lake a long time say they have never seen it come up so fast or so high at any time of the year. High tide tonight won't help.
    What was also striking was how localised some of it was (at least while I was there). Driving through Cahirciveen, the first river on the way out of the town had a slightly higher than normal flow and the next one served by a different mountain catchment was raging. It was dry in Killorglin at midday.
    Re Grace above. She lives on the southern side of the Ring up in the Blackwater valley which would have likely born the brunt. I don't know her but figured this from some of her snaps and descriptions. She doesn't seem well from those posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭secman

"She doesn't seem well from those posts"
    Used to enjoy reading her descriptive posts, a bit of a character it seems, hopefully she is okay.

Advertisement