Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord made strange comment

Options
  • 03-10-2016 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Bit of a strange one here, my landlord has been doing a few bits and pieces around the house for the past few weeks (repairing tiles and installing a new shower among other things) and he called a while ago to drop off some stuff he needs for tomorrow while I was getting the washing out of the machine.

I had a few bits and pieces belonging to my boyfriend as we were away for the weekend and they got mixed up with my stuff and I washed them as I was doing my own. I caught him looking at them and he asked me who owned the clothes and when I told him they were myou boyfriends he asked me how often he stayed with me and told me he can only visit up to 3 times per week!!

My boyfriend does not stay over because my kids are still getting to know him but that's not the point!! Can my landlord dictate to me who I have in the house?
    I do not receive lone parent or rent allowance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Check your lease as goes guests.

Extra people = extra wear and tear, so many leases do mention it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Simple answer is yes he can, he has rented to you and your kids and anyone else is a visitor and should not be there overnight more than 3 nights a week and not more than 2 consecutive nights. Any more than that and he is considered to be living there and the rent would most likely rise accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Simple answer is yes he can, he has rented to you and your kids and anyone else is a visitor and should not be there overnight more than 3 nights a week and not more than 2 consecutive nights. Any more than that and he is considered to be living there and the rent would most likely rise accordingly.

When I told him my boyfriend does not stay overnight he said it doesn't matter, he cannot visit more than 3 times per week day or night?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Only my two cents... But landlord is either really observant or really nosey. He was either making a random comment or sussing things out. In any case less he knows the better from now on.

So if he starts asking questions in future like 'ahh how's your boyfriend do you see him much?' or 'who bought the new xxx' then shut him off and say whatever in response.

But for what it's worth it sounds like he was sussing things out. I mean looking at clothes? Asking why a man's clothes were there? Pssh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

foggy_lad wrote:

This is a really sad post.
    I'm in my 40's now and back when I and friends were renting in our 20's land Lord's didn't give a toss who stayed as long as their rent was being paid.

Anything for a quick buck now,selfishness,poor me, nobody's taking advantage of me....and greed is rife now in this country.

Society is so sick now, 3 day's FFS

Maybe her boyfriend might have had time off and needed a week off.

Year's ago a land Lord was a person of class and integrity,a person who minds their own business.

As long as rent was being paid that was it.

3 days stay lol that's nothing.....

So should the land lord raise the rent when the kids cousin's decide to come for a week ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

If you're receiving social welfare payments as a single person, then the amount of overnights matter afaik.
    He's probably referencing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Addle wrote: »
    If you're receiving social welfare payments as a single person, then the amount of overnights matter afaik.
    He's probably referencing that.

But she has said he doesn't stay overnight at all. The landlord still said he couldn't visit more than 3 times day or night, which sounds a bit bizarre to me. Does this mean her mother can't call more than three times? Or her sister?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

That has to be rubbish. If you're next door neighbour called in for a cuppa 4 days in one week or three days in a row could she be chucked out? he sounds like a right pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Its none of your landlords business if you have guests. Tell him to mind his own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Its none of your landlords business if you have guests. Tell him to mind his own business.

There's a difference between a guest and someone unnamed and unagreed on the rental contract living at his property.

• Advertisement

Ginger83 wrote: »
    There's a difference between a guest and someone unnamed and unagreed on the rental contract living at his property.

Yes, thats right.

Shadylou wrote: »
    When I told him my boyfriend does not stay overnight he said it doesn't matter, he cannot visit more than 3 times per week day or night?

He is mostly wrong there, the overnight thing is the difference between him renting to a single person or a couple, but if the boyfriend is there a lot during the day as well as a few nights a week then it could be taken that he lives there more than anywhere else and it then becomes his principle residence.

@Stealthfins: As for the children's cousins staying during holidays the tenants should seek permission or at least inform the landlord that the extra people will be there for a week during the holidays just as if the tenant is vacating the property for any length of time to go on holidays or visit friends for a week they should be informing the landlord.

@Addle: It has nothing to do with social welfare payments but all about the landlord being entitled to know who is living and staying in his property.

A few days here and there are nothing to be worried about and neither are the kids cousins staying for a week or two during holidays but prolonged overnights as well as being there daytime too makes a girl/boyfriend a tenant in the property

As for the children's cousins staying during holidays the tenants should seek permission or at least inform the landlord that the extra people will be there for a week during the holidays just as if the tenant is vacating the property for any length of time to go on holidays or visit friends for a week they should be informing the landlord.

Where are you getting this guff? Its no business of the landlord if the tenant has guests in her home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

While I'd have an opinion on whether such a clause in a lease was enforceable I'll express it only if requested over in Legal Discussions. If the lease is silent on the issue Section 16(n) of the RTA 2004 seems to imply only notification is required and only then if the person is ordinarily resident.

As a landlord myself I find it baffling a LL would care.

Where are you getting this guff? Its no business of the landlord if the tenant has guests in her home.

http://www.rtb.ie/tenants/rights-responsibilities-obligations
    You Obligations as a Tenant:

Pay your rent in full and on time.
    Maintain the property in good order and inform the landlord when repairs are needed, allowing him/her or others access for this.
    Do not engage in any activities that may harm the property e.g. drying clothes inside the accommodation without proper ventilation, as this may cause damp to spread.
    Allow the landlord to do routine inspections of the property.
    Inform the landlord of who is living in the property.
    Avoid causing damage, nuisance or breaking the law.
    Comply with the terms of the tenancy agreement whether written or verbal.
    Give the landlord valid notice before termination of the tenancy.
    Keep a record of all repairs, payments and dealings with the landlord.
    Not to do anything that could affect the landlord’s insurance premium on the dwelling.
    If a guest is there for longer than 3 days the tenant should inform the landlord that this and/or other guests will be visiting and/or staying regularly, if the tenant is leaving the property unattended for more than a few days they should inform the landlord.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenants_rights_and_obligations.html

http://www.rtb.ie/tenants/rights-responsibilities-obligations
    If a guest is there for longer than 3 days the tenant should inform the landlord that this and/or other guests will be visiting and/or staying regularly, if the tenant is leaving the property unattended for more than a few days they should inform the landlord.

Rubbish. You seem to be confusing a legal professional tenancy agreement with the rules for a schoolgirl living in a dormitory.

Rubbish. You seem to be confusing a legal professional tenancy agreement with the rules for a schoolgirl living in a dormitory.

You seem to be confusing "ah sure it'll be grand" with complying with your lease.

Its probably a surreal/controlling request but without knowing far more details we don't know.

OP is there a section in your lease referring to Guests and visitors adn how long they can stay?

L1011 wrote: »
    You seem to be confusing "ah sure it'll be grand" with complying with your lease.

Its probably a surreal/controlling request but without knowing far more details we don't know.

I wouldnt sign a lease that says I need to ask my landlords permission to have a guest. I pay fifteen grand a year for the service, the idea of having to ask if I can have someone over is laughable.

I wouldnt sign a lease that says I need to ask my landlords permission to have a guest. I pay fifteen grand a year for the service, the idea of having to ask if I can have someone over is laughable.

What lease you would or wouldn't sign and what the OP has signed (and its contents) are two completely different things.

You are making assumptions that the scenario matches your idealised one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

LL was marking OP's card, simply. Don't agree with these type of rules, but if they are in the lease, they apply.
    His language may have been loose in saying day or night.

Water John wrote: »
    LL was marking OP's card, simply. Don't agree with these type of rules, but if they are in the lease, they apply.
    Nobody in their right mind would sign such a lease. This is an adult with children in a private rental.

I think we are arguing guest v extra tenant.
    I had a tenant sublet 2 rooms without my knowledge before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

jlm29 wrote:
    But she has said he doesn't stay overnight at all. The landlord still said he couldn't visit more than 3 times day or night, which sounds a bit bizarre to me. Does this mean her mother can't call more than three times? Or her sister?

"Visit" is staying the night. Perfectly normal question from the landlord. He wanted to know if op was breaking the lease. Op told him no she wasn't. This should be the end of it.
    It's really not a big deal.

Nobody in their right mind would sign such a lease. This is an adult with children in a private rental.

They're in basically every boilerplate lease so I suspect that vast quantities of people have signed them.

Ginger83 wrote: »
    I think we are arguing guest v extra tenant.
    I had a tenant sublet 2 rooms without my knowledge before.

What has that got to do with this topic? The thread is about guests.

L1011 wrote: »
    They're in basically every boilerplate lease so I suspect that vast quantities of people have signed them.

No they arent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So now, we have established the OP checks the detail of her lease agreement.
    No point in arguing here whether it is in it or not.

What has that got to do with this topic? The thread is about guests.

My point being the LL was obviously sussing out if the womans boyfriend was living at his property which as he said would have been breaking the lease.

• Advertisement

No they arent.

Go find me some that don't include it.

Every boilerplate lease I have ever seen has a limitation on when a guest becomes someone living there and requires the landlords permission for same. The two on the first page of Google results seem to be based on the same core text (let.ie / topfloor.ie) and have such a clause. I suspect most don't search much further.

I suspect you are being pointlessly argumentative for the hell of it here. You don't know the contents of the OPs lease but you've gone off on random (insulting) tangents regardless.

Advertisement