Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord made strange comment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Ginger83 wrote:
    I think we are arguing guest v extra tenant. I had a tenant sublet 2 rooms without my knowledge before.
    But if the partner is staying the odd day without paying rent, that makes him a visitor. Three visits per week isn't something that was in the lease, it's just nonsense the landlord has imposed. Sort of surveillance, how will he enforce that condition? It's such a bizarre request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Testaccount123 you seem determined to stir. Please post in such a way as contributes to the thread in a positive manner or not at all. Also please leave the moderation to the mods. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

L1011 wrote: »
    Go find me some that don't include it.

Every boilerplate lease I have ever seen has a limitation on when a guest becomes someone living there and requires the landlords permission for same.

I suspect you are being pointlessly argumentative for the hell of it here. You don't know the contents of the OPs lease but you've gone off on random (insulting) tangents regardless.

http://www.topfloor.ie/freebies/lease
    http://www.let.ie/files/part4.pdf

No mention of this ridiculous notion of having to ask a landlords permission to have a guest in a private rental.

This forum is full of misinformation from people who dont know what they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nobody in their right mind would sign such a lease. This is an adult with children in a private rental.
    With the market such as it is, if the house was near a school they may not have had much choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://www.topfloor.ie/freebies/lease
    http://www.let.ie/files/part4.pdf

No mention of this ridiculous notion of having to ask a landlords permission to have a guest in a private rental.

This forum is full of misinformation from people who dont know what they are talking about.

Did you actually read either of those? They're the ones I referenced and are near identical.

Both of those require you to inform the landlord if you add an extra person living there. More than 3 days a week (annualised) would be living there under Revenue's generally accepted concept of residency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    "Visit" is staying the night. Perfectly normal question from the landlord. He wanted to know if op was breaking the lease. Op told him no she wasn't. This should be the end of it.
    It's really not a big deal.

"When I told him my boyfriend does not stay overnight, he said it doesn't matter, he can only visit three times a week, day or night".
    That's what her post days. Her landlord doesn't seem to agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Ginger83

But if the partner is staying the odd day without paying rent, that makes him a visitor. Three visits per week isn't something that was in the lease, it's just nonsense the landlord has imposed. Sort of surveillance, how will he enforce that condition? It's such a bizarre request.

Yes I agree with you, I wouldn't be that sticky either, an overnight visit is far from arguing about, we can only assume the LL suspected something when he witnessed his tenant washing someone else's clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Ginger83

L1011 wrote: »
    Did you actually read either of those? They're the ones I referenced and are near identical.

Both of those require you to inform the landlord if you add an extra person living there. More than 3 days a week (annualised) would be living there under Revenue's generally accepted concept of residency.

Most leases would state that for obvious reasons, insurance, wear and tear, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

I don't get any rent allowance for the house, I pay the full rent myself but I just wanted to get a few thoughts on whether my landlord can dictate to me who can visit my home during the day.
    I'd completely understand if my boyfriend was staying over a lot but he owns his own home so doesn't need to be staying in mine

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Certainly not. His language was loose there and should he imply some thing in future make it very clear that you abide by your lease.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

neither a tenant nor a landlord be

WTF its a whole essential section of the housing in any city. It just needs to be regulated correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

Shadylou wrote: »
    I don't get any rent allowance for the house, I pay the full rent myself but I just wanted to get a few thoughts on whether my landlord can dictate to me who can visit my home during the day.
    I'd completely understand if my boyfriend was staying over a lot but he owns his own home so doesn't need to be staying in mine

OP you need to read your lease.

If it delimits the issue then I would be guided by it for now. If it does not then carry on and if your LL starts to become a problem simply use the RTB's dispute resolution service.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

All it says in my lease is that there is a limit in occupation which my landlord has my name and the kids names under, it says I may not sublet but it doesnt say anything about visitors.
    He does not occupy the house, he visits maybe 4 times a week for a few hours

Visiting is not an issue. Staying over night on a regular basis is the only item in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

We're potentially straying into the realms of legal advice here; but I'd personally read that as someone in occupation of the property. If he's ordinarily resident somewhere else I'd personally tell the landlord, politely, to go forth and multiply.

If you're worried and want more advice threshold or FLAC will give you some proper advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Shadylou wrote: »
    All it says in my lease is that there is a limit in occupation which my landlord has my name and the kids names under, it says I may not sublet but it doesnt say anything about visitors.
    He does not occupy the house, he visits maybe 4 times a week for a few hours

4 times a week for a few hours? Seriously? I'd argue the LL is staying with you.

We saw our landlord once every two years at most when we were renting, while that's probably also not normal, what you're describing is madness. On top of that, who visits youband when, in your home, really should be nobody's business but your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

My last apartment lease in America had such a provision, but my house lease here in Ireland does not. I don't have to tell my letting agent here if I leave for a week, and I don't have to tell them, but I may mention, if I have a house guest for a few weeks.

I did ask my apartment manager in America, purely out of curiosity, why the lease said I had to inform them and get their permission if I had a guest stay longer than three days (not three separate occasions in a week, just three days in a row). She said, to paraphrase, "Oh, we don't usually enforce that unless the visitor causes trouble while they're here. But if you are having someone stay a lot or for a week or two at a time, especially if you are away while they are in the apartment, for the safety of the others in the complex we might ask to run a criminal history on them. Or, for their own safety and yours, and for our insurance reasons, we might ask you to add them as a named secondary resident, who is not responsible for the rent and bills, and whose rights are subordinate to yours. Then they can stay permanently until you request they be removed from the lease."

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

Mena wrote:
    4 times a week for a few hours? Seriously? I'd argue the LL is staying with you.

think the Op means that the boyfriend is there for times a week for a few hours...not the landlord.

OP, I strongly suspect that the landlord doesn't care as long as your boyfriend isn't living in the house. Obviously seeing someone else's washing raises the suspicion that they are living there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

foggy_lad wrote:
    @Stealthfins: As for the children's cousins staying during holidays the tenants should seek permission or at least inform the landlord that the extra people will be there for a week during the holidays just as if the tenant is vacating the property for any length of time to go on holidays or visit friends for a week they should be informing the landlord.

Sounds like a very insecure post to me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

My opinion would be you're LL is a nosy busybody. If you're not claiming rent allowance or anything like it and you're paying your rent on time it's your business who visits your house. Other comments about the amount of people in the house increasing the wear and tear etc. are ridiculous. If a house is advertised for €1500 say, that rent doesn't change based on the amount of people living there unless it's a house share.

When the LL is finished whatever jobs he has to do I would try to avoid him as much as possible. That's all you can do. He has to give you reasonable notice when he's coming over also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

The wear and tear thing seems to fail the common sense test - if there was a different platonic friend staying every night or every second night, it seems to be OK under the "no washing", "no shower gel except your own", "no longer than 2 nights" rules suggested here.

So it does only seem to be "Visiting" in the biblical sense that the LL is overly interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Wierd as it is he 100% can , allot of lease have stipulation about guests people stating over etc , i think the perceived notion is increased wear and tear and that.

again something that needs removing when proper guidelines are agreed if ever, it should be a case that once your renting a place you can have whomever you like over when ever.

To be honest whats creepier is that he was eyeballing your washing i would definitely have called him out on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

You could be reading more into it than necessary. The landlord is wrong about daytime visits but perfectly right about overnights. He is really just asking do you have anyone living in the house who is not on the lease, not an unreasonable question. Most leases do not allow additional people to live in the house without permission.
    It could have been worded better but it is a perfectly reasonable question if you expect your landlord to keep his side of the lease regarding maintaining the property and fixing things such as the washing machine which has been provided for the people on the property lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

again something that needs removing when proper guidelines are agreed if ever, it should be a case that once your renting a place you can have whomever you like over when ever.

If the landlord refused to repair the washing machine because of the excessive wear and tear on it due to an extra adult some people would be up in arms too. The contract is a two way agreement, both people have responsibilities and obligations.
    It sounds like the landlord is maintaining the property so he should expect that only the people on the lease are living there.

Do landlords generally offer a discount for reduced occupancy, reduced use of washing machine, reduced opening and closing of fridge door?
    Or do they charge for house X and that's your choice to take it or not?
    Do they supply washing machines that would only be suitable for 2 people if that's all that's in the house?

Lot's of intriguing stuff here, it's not like the OP has kitted out all the rooms with bunk beds.

pilly wrote: »
    Other comments about the amount of people in the house increasing the wear and tear etc. are ridiculous. If a house is advertised for €1500 say, that rent doesn't change based on the amount of people living there unless it's a house share.

Well it's not unheard off to ask for more rent if additional people are living in the house and it's very common from what I have seen to limit the number of people allowed to live in a house even if it's lower than the number of people who could live there comfortably. So wear and tear is something that's taken into account by a LL when setting the number of people allowed to live in his/her property.

As an example I know a number of people who have moved apartment/were looking at moving apartment recently and many two bed apartments had occupancy limited to two people, either one couple or two single people despite having two large double rooms and plenty of space.

As an example I know a number of people who have moved apartment/were looking at moving apartment recently and many two bed apartments had occupancy limited to two people, either one couple or two single people despite having two large double rooms and plenty of space.

Tag team rules if someone has a friend over? One in, one out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

AlanG wrote: »
    If the landlord refused to repair the washing machine because of the excessive wear and tear on it due to an extra adult some people would be up in arms too. The contract is a two way agreement, both people have responsibilities and obligations.
    It sounds like the landlord is maintaining the property so he should expect that only the people on the lease are living there.

unless the lanlord charges based on occupency ie a one bed apt being rented to 1 single person costs X but if that same apartment is being rented to a couple then the price increases to Y to cover additional wear and tear , i might understand but tbh i've never come across this pricing structure.

and to be honest 99% of rentals are finished to a very very low standard with furnishings and white goods so to be honest most of thees will have depreciated in value so significantly that the additional wear and tare will be inconsequential. Again if the landlord is providing high quility furnishings and fixtures i might understand somewhat , but if its the usual crap he picked up from the SVDP , the local recycling centre or whatever second or third hand crap he could find thrown in the place then i think its just the landlord being overly nit picky.

But again all of thees arguments are effectively pointless until some proper structure is put in place around leasing , minimum quality vs pricing etc... up until that point you just have to tolerate whatever little idiosyncrasy's your individual landlord has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

As the LL is in the process of doing maintenance and upgrades to property, could it be that he was hoping to make a case to increase rent.

Advertisement