Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord made strange comment

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

childsplay wrote: »
    Wouldn't the insurance company need to be aware of the number of people in the house usually. If that number changed without them being made aware could cause problems.

Somebody should come up with an app that would keep landlords and insurance companies up to date on the number of habitual and non-habitual residents are in a property at any one time. It would solve all the horrible cases where something has happened and ..... wait, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

This very situation is exactly why the whole country is obsessed with buying property rather than renting. Who would be bothered putting up with this level of intrusion into their lives?
    Are people who defend this landlord now advocating that landlords should be able to call around and rifle through your underwear drawer in order to gather evidence?
    I'm really glad that the OP was the adult in this situation and resolved it through good communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭childsplay

Somebody should come up with an app that would keep landlords and insurance companies up to date on the number of habitual and non-habitual residents are in a property at any one time. It would solve all the horrible cases where something has happened and ..... wait, what?

If my assumption was wrong that increased people in a house would increase the risk on an insurance policy, say that and l will stand corrected :$ . I would have always thought that the number of individuals living in a house normally would be important for an insurer to know. My assertion was more that some tenants want their bread buttered on both sides. Break the lease, two fingers figuratively to the landlord and don't see that they have done anything wrong. But, when something does go wrong, they want to pin it on the landlord, which doesn't seem right.

If it's an apartment that's being rented out then the annual management fee (payable by landlord) covers insurance for the building (no need to declare anything regarding how many people live in the property). Tenants can take out their own contents insurance to protect whatever they own within the apartment. Still don't see why the landlord needs to know what the OP's sleeping arrangements are...

I'd argue that the landlord in the op's case wasn't asking about sleeping arrangements. He was more pointing out that the contract existed between him and the OP. Seeing a man clothes in the wash when her and her kids are meant to live there threw up the question was there a man living there, who wasn't on the lease. So it was a fair question. If a new person was moving in, might need to adjust the lease or rent to reflect this. I think that's fair.

• Advertisement

@childsplay Landlords charge the maximum rent that they can get based on the size and location of the property that they own, NOT the occupancy levels of their property. Are you saying that if I rent a 2 bed apartment by myself, the landlord should lower the rent below market rates because it's just me living there? Of course not.
    I do believe it's right to let the landlord know if somebody else has moved in full-time and they should be added to the lease to protect their rights.Such a scenario would only increase the ability of the OP to pay her rent every month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Elliott S wrote:
    That's honestly a bit OTT, the landlord in the OP would be a rarity.

Seriously ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Folks we've gone way off topic here. The landlord made an inappropriate comment. Could have been a lot worse.

To be honest I was actually impressed when I read the OP that for once a landlord was fixing things for a tenant!

Fair point on the rent issue. However, the lease and contract would need to be adjusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I do believe it's right to let the landlord know if somebody else has moved in full-time and they should be added to the lease to protect their rights.Such a scenario would only increase the ability of the OP to pay her rent every month.

You don't have to just "let them know". You have to ask permission.

In my property, anyways permission would only be given if the candidate passed credit and reference checks. I don't care who my tenants are sleeping with - but I do care that they don't have criminal record or drug problems or similar.

Having a dead-beat move in sometimes decreases the chances of rent being paid.

I think that this is relevant to the OP: the LL's reminder that the house is leased to her and kid(s), not to any other adults, is linked to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Seriously ?

Yes.

Advertisement