Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I signed a lease on offices, landlord walks in whenever he likes without even knockin

Options
  • 03-10-2016 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

I signed a lease on offices, landlord walks in whenever he likes without even knocking....

surely this cannot be allowed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Have you asked him not to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

how do I put that to him without upsetting him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

CamperMan wrote: »
    I signed a lease on offices, landlord walks in whenever he likes without even knocking....

What does your lease say about peaceful enjoyment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

how do I put that to him without upsetting him?

He's not too worried about upsetting his tenants, who are his paying customers.

it doesnt mention this in the lease, it's a simple 2 page document

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Why's he coming in, what does he say/do?

Why's he coming in, what does he say/do?

example.. today, the landlord simply opened the door to the office after 6 pm and when he saw me sat at the desk he said "oh.. sorry, didn't know anyone was in"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

CamperMan wrote:

I don't believe anyone here can answer this without seeing the whole lease. Did you use a solicitor when you took the lease?

So he is not breaking the terms of the lease? What exactly is your problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

This would be a commercial lease, not a residential? Are you offices open for business to the public?

• Advertisement

On behalf of ourselves,
    we hereby offer to let you ALL and WHOLE the premises marked on Appendix one at Office Units
    , together with all fixtures and fittings and on the following conditions:-
    1. The lease shall be initially for a period of five years commencing on 1st October Two Thousand and Sixteen, with a break at the end of year three, subject to a 6 months notice period with a 6 month rolling notice period thereafter. On the third anniversary of the date of entry there will be a rent review.
    1. The rent shall be 6000 per annum payable monthly in advance as arranged, each monthly payment being 500. The first rent being due on the 1st October 2016. The amount is subject to VAT. Making the monthly payment 600.
    1. Please note that any rents not paid on the due date will be charged at 5% over the Bank of England interest rate on a daily basis.
    1. You shall be responsible for the rates (if payable) and contents insurance payable on the subjects of let during the currency of the Lease. All heating and lighting and weekly cleaning is included in the rent. The heating shall be presented in full working order.
    1. You shall be responsible for any internal repairs the landlord shall be responsible for any external repairs and the roof. Landlord also responsible for entrance area and corridor.
    1. You shall not have the right to assign, sublet or otherwise dispose of your interest in the subjects of let without the prior consent of ourselves.
    1. You shall be allocated 5 parking spaces, in the car park to the front. Landlord shall mark these at his expense. Your entrance shall be the front entrance to building.
    1. You shall accept the current condition of the property both internally and externally. You shall be expected to return the property in the same condition on the expiry of the lease, in respect of the photographic evidence herewith attached .

1. The landlord shall supply the relevant Select Electrical safety certificates in respect of the mains electrical wiring, but any appliances installed by tenant shall be their responsibility.
    1. In accordance with Government Legislation all work places are non-smoking.
    1. You shall be responsible and liable for any work carried out by tradesman on your behalf on the premises.

Yours faithfully

4ensic15 wrote: »

So he is not breaking the terms of the lease? What exactly is your problem?
    there is confidential paperwork in the office, am I supposed to lock everything up in the safe each time I pop out for 10 minutes??

davo10 wrote: »
    This would be a commercial lease, not a residential? Are you offices open for business to the public?
    No, they are not open to the public

So no body else enters this office but you? No clients, no one coming in to make appointments, no one comes in to ask questions about your services etc?

Incidentally, you contract mentions Bank of England, are you located outside Ireland?

So no body else enters this office but you? No clients, no one coming in to make appointments, no one comes in to ask questions about your services etc?

Incidentally, you contract mentions Bank of England, are you located outside Ireland?
    Northern Ireland...

I do R&D , the office is for my sole purpose, if I want meetings, I meet elsewhere with clients

Did you use a solicitor? Did they do searches on the property. Are you registered in the land registry as title owner?

Buy a lock with self lock . Fit lock in door. End of problem.

Northern Ireland...

I do R&D , the office is for my sole purpose, if I want meetings, I meet elsewhere with clients

You realise this is a Southern Ireland site so the advice you get here will relate to Irish tenancy rights rather than UK rights which may be different.

If you are that offended, just ask your landlord to resist the temptation to enter your office without knocking/permission. Tell him you mislaid the key to the door and ask can you change the barrel to be sure no one enters it while you are not there.

CamperMan wrote:
    On behalf of ourselves, we hereby offer to let you ALL and WHOLE the premises marked on Appendix one at Office Units , together with all fixtures and fittings and on the following conditions:- The lease shall be initially for a period of five years commencing on 1st October Two Thousand and Sixteen, with a break at the end of year three, subject to a 6 months notice period with a 6 month rolling notice period thereafter. On the third anniversary of the date of entry there will be a rent review. The rent shall be 6000 per annum payable monthly in advance as arranged, each monthly payment being 500. The first rent being due on the 1st October 2016. The amount is subject to VAT. Making the monthly payment 600. Please note that any rents not paid on the due date will be charged at 5% over the Bank of England interest rate on a daily basis. You shall be responsible for the rates (if payable) and contents insurance payable on the subjects of let during the currency of the Lease. All heating and lighting and weekly cleaning is included in the rent. The heating shall be presented in full working order. You shall be responsible for any internal repairs the landlord shall be responsible for any external repairs and the roof. Landlord also responsible for entrance area and corridor. You shall not have the right to assign, sublet or otherwise dispose of your interest in the subjects of let without the prior consent of ourselves. You shall be allocated 5 parking spaces, in the car park to the front. Landlord shall mark these at his expense. Your entrance shall be the front entrance to building. You shall accept the current condition of the property both internally and externally. You shall be expected to return the property in the same condition on the expiry of the lease, in respect of the photographic evidence herewith attached . The landlord shall supply the relevant Select Electrical safety certificates in respect of the mains electrical wiring, but any appliances installed by tenant shall be their responsibility. In accordance with Government Legislation all work places are non-smoking. You shall be responsible and liable for any work carried out by tradesman on your behalf on the premises.

Doesn't look like a proper commercial lease to me. There's lot's missing. Rates, water rates, building insurance etc. These should all be in the lease. Lease should be registered with land registration. If its not a real lease he can do as he pleases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Sorry OP but legal advice cannot be given on this site. As another poster has pointed out, laws in the Republic and Northern Ireland differ greatly so I'm not sure you would have gotten a useful answer but in accordance with boards rules, thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement