Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best automatic diesel?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not always, for example when the engine is cold it will warm up regardless.
    On the 04-09 Prius you could run it in EV mode, which meant you could manually disable the engine and let the car just run on battery. This isn't the most efficient way of doing things though. I don't know if the Lexus or the newer Prius even has this option now. It was a bit of craic driving around silently though!
    There are a good few videos out there explaining how hybrid synergy drive works. The way I look at it is that the engine works best when it's not under stress. The hybrid motor takes the stress off the engine. So if you're going up a hill, the electric motor gives the petrol engine a hand, when you're going back down the hill, the battery charges back up using the forward motion of the car.
    You then have more complex ideas like regenerative braking and using the electric motor for low speed manoeuvring. A bit like stop/start only a step further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not always, for example when the engine is cold it will warm up regardless.
    On the 04-09 Prius you could run it in EV mode, which meant you could manually disable the engine and let the car just run on battery. This isn't the most efficient way of doing things though. I don't know if the Lexus or the newer Prius even has this option now. It was a bit of craic driving around silently though!
    There are a good few videos out there explaining how hybrid synergy drive works. The way I look at it is that the engine works best when it's not under stress. The hybrid motor takes the stress off the engine. So if you're going up a hill, the electric motor gives the petrol engine a hand, when you're going back down the hill, the battery charges back up using the forward motion of the car.
    You then have more complex ideas like regenerative braking and using the electric motor for low speed manoeuvring. A bit like stop/start only a step further.

Its very clever, and good mpg too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

colm_mcm wrote: »

Stop-Start is sometimes referred as Micro-Hybrid - so your comparison is not far fetched ;)

I seem to remember posting about Suzuki having a "mild hybrid" in the new baleno. Can't remember the details, but it seemed a bit hokey.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kgroarke

does anyone know if the 2008 BMW 3 series have a good automatic gearbox?

Trying to figure out which is the most economical between Focus 2.0, Passat or BMW320 in Automatic???????
    I am doing a lot of weekly mileage

• Advertisement

Aside from fuel economy you need to factor in the cost of servicing/maintenance and likelihood/cost of repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Don't forget to factor in the original purchase price too.
    With the bmw the timing chain issues should take priority when searching for one to buy.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s80-diesel-2008-tax-01-17-nct-01-18/13209267

What about a volvo with the excellent d5 engine think they're around 750 to tax but the gearbox and engine are a pretty reliable design I think. (Just posted the above as an example there isn't many on DD)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

An 08 corolla saloon so reasonably similar to a prius in layout.
    A well spec'd prius should however have more of the electronically aided features you are after.

What about a Nissan Leaf, budget maybe a 141 model. I've read they're automatic, keyless entry, push button start. And a range of around 150km.
    Is the handbrake a button?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Ginger83 wrote: »
    What about a Nissan Leaf, budget maybe a 141 model. I've read they're automatic, keyless entry, push button start. And a range of around 150km.
    Is the handbrake a button?

Don't know much about the leaf tbh but many that own them have positive things to sat about them. If the range suits you it could definitely be a runner. Check how prices suit you and as for the hand brake I'd imagive they have a park gear so it shouldn't really be an issue although I assume they have an electric parking brake too

Advertisement